Official Azzurri (Italy) Euro 2008 Qualifier thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
For me Italy not winning would be a good thing in this case because if Italy don't win against France and Scotland beat Lithuania on Saturday, Scotland go 2nd.

European Championship Qualifying : Group B Table
20 August 2007 12:49
P W D L F A GD PTS
1 France 7 6 0 1 15 2 13 18
2 Italy 7 5 1 1 13 6 7 16
3 Scotland 7 5 0 2 13 6 7 15
4 Ukraine 6 4 0 2 8 6 2 12
5 Lithuania 7 2 1 4 4 7 -3 7
6 Georgia 8 2 0 6 13 14 -1 6
7 Faroe Islands 8 0 0 8 2 27 -25 0
I am sorry to say to Juve fan, but as a fan, I want to see France and Italia go through. Those two teams are too big IMO to not participate in the big stae. But congratulations to Scotland. If they do go through, I think they really really really earnt it. They are in quite easily the toughest Group I ever since for qualifying, and for a nation, which looked to be in disarray (judging form their past result), they really turned it around, that requires a lot of heart.:tup: .

If I was UEFA commissioner I would have been tempted to take all those top 4 teams into Group stage Proper. I can imagine quite a lot of teams not being as good as even Scotland and Ukraine, who are going to qualify due to weak group.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I am sorry to say to Juve fan, but as a fan, I want to see France and Italia go through. Those two teams are too big IMO to not participate in the big stae. But congratulations to Scotland. If they do go through, I think they really really really earnt it. They are in quite easily the toughest Group I ever since for qualifying, and for a nation, which looked to be in disarray (judging form their past result), they really turned it around, that requires a lot of heart.:tup: .

If I was UEFA commissioner I would have been tempted to take all those top 4 teams into Group stage Proper. I can imagine quite a lot of teams not being as good as even Scotland and Ukraine, who are going to qualify due to weak group.
As much as I'd love Scotland to qualify, I have to agree with you that it would be a huge shame for France or Italy not to qualify. Even Ukraine are team that should definitely be there. It just goes to show what a farce the current seeding system is.

Scotland are about 20th in the world ranking but have 3 better teams than them in one group. Total joke.

The reason we have turned it round is that we have Scottish coaches again. As a nation we have always punched above our weight due to the players passion. The passion was missing when we had Berti Vogts in charge.

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #844
    As much as I'd love Scotland to qualify, I have to agree with you that it would be a huge shame for France or Italy not to qualify. Even Ukraine are team that should definitely be there. It just goes to show what a farce the current seeding system is.

Scotland are about 20th in the world ranking but have 3 better teams than them in one group. Total joke.

The reason we have turned it round is that we have Scottish coaches again. As a nation we have always punched above our weight due to the players passion. The passion was missing when we had Berti Vogts in charge.
    yeah i have to say congrats to scotland i hope you guys kick the frenchies asses and qualify second to the azzurri. i agree that you guys and ukraine got a very unfair group.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    Alex sees France own goal

Azzurri star Alessandro Del Piero believes that France have shot themselves in the foot by stirring recent controversy.

Les Bleus boss Raymond Domenech will serve a suspension from the bench afer making allegations against Italian football, claiming that an Under-21 international between the nations in 1999 was decided by a biased referee.

The outcry had barely subsided when midfielder Lassana Diarra fanned the flames by labelling Italy a nation of 'provokers and cheats.’

Members of the Azzurri camp have remained tight-lipped throughout the last few weeks and Del Piero reckons they can channel their frustration to their advantage.

“This atmosphere reminds me of before the World Cup semi-final against Germany,” the Juventino explained.

“We won that game far and square and I think that our opponents have scored a similar own goal here.”

As for his personal role in September 8’s crunch match, Pinturricchio’s determination doesn’t seem to have been dampened by time on the substitutes’ bench at Juventus.

“I never go anywhere to make up the numbers,” the 32-year-old insisted. “I never feel like just one of the squad.

“I have taken on board Claudio Ranieri’s concerns for my fitness, but I am physically and psychologically ready for France.”

channel 4

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002

Is it my imagination or iis it a complete myth that Ukraine are a good side. I think everyone, me included wants them to qualify for 1 reason only and that Sheva as lets face it Sheva aside, Voronin is the 1 that I know about that I can a very good player. It is not a coincidence that they have only qualified for 1 tournament since the unification, they are not good enough, simple as

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Is it my imagination or iis it a complete myth that Ukraine are a good side. I think everyone, me included wants them to qualify for 1 reason only and that Sheva as lets face it Sheva aside, Voronin is the 1 that I know about that I can a very good player. It is not a coincidence that they have only qualified for 1 tournament since the unification, they are not good enough, simple as
    They are a good side with a great player.

They made it to the quarter finals of the WC which isn't to be sniffed at. I would put them in the group of teams behind the sort of big 6 or so teams.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
    May 27, 2007
    Personally, I prefer the response of our players. They will, they say, show their displeasure by outclassing the French on the pitch.

And Donadoni has said he'd rather Domenech was on the bench. He would then shake Domenech's hand...a gentleman's gesture. (after Italia have won of course!)

Tobias

Guerriero
    Sep 20, 2006
    ABETE: "I HOPE TO
    RELIVE THE
    THE SAME FEELINGS
    IDA HAD IN BELRIN"​
    Rome 04/09/2007

The Federcalcio president, Giancarlo Abete, has lived a lot of moments before important matches, but the one the is before the match against France is special. After reaching Coverciano to be close to the head coach and players, the president admitted: "The matches against France, like those against Germany, are all high level matches. On Saturday, I hope to relive the same feelings I had in the match against France in Berlin. The sold-out crowd for San Siro proves the importance of this event that will not be decisive but will be important without a doubt to get us back into qualifying for the upcoming European Championships".

The pre-match period has been characterized by the words said by Domenech against Italian football. Abete holds his hand out to the French coach: "Our Federation expressed its feelings regarding what was said by Domenech, but I would like to underline the position taken by the French Federation that has stayed away from the statements released by their coach, and the position taken by Uefa regarding this situation. But I am ready to shake hands with Domenech".

Giancarlo Abete had a couple of words to say regarding the return on the National team of a 34-year old player like Christian Panucci. "AS in the past we have spoken about a lack of forwards in our football, there has also recently been a lack of defensive players. A personal study that I made regarding players called on the French team shows that even the French National team calls players mainly for their performance on the field. Credit must, therefore, be given to Panucci for having maintained a high competitive level and earning this call on the National team".

Tobias

Guerriero
    Sep 20, 2006
    DONADONI REFUSES
    THE CRITICISM:
    "I DO NOT FEEL
    PUT TO THE TEST"​

Roberto Donadoni does not feel put to the test. The road towards the two Euro 2008 qualifying matches against France and Ukraine begins with a clear question. Two delicate and difficult matches after the loss in the friendly match played in August against Hungary. "I do not feel put to the test- said Donadoni. I am simply the head coach of the national team and if this means I am put to the test, then let's say that's the way it is. But feeling put to the test is not a situation that gives me any advantages, and so I prefer to refuse it. Then there is who decides and judges".

The Azzurri began their preparation today in Coverciano. The first problem regarded the weather: due to a violent storm that hit Florence, the national team was forced to work out in the gym. The Milan and Fiorentina players, after their match on Monday evening at San Siro joined the group late in the evening (like Del Piero who had gone to Montecarlo to receive an award) and had a differentiated workout.

The other problem regards Luca Toni who recovery for the match on Saturday evening against France is difficult. Donadoni explained the situation: "Objectively, for Toni the situation is difficult. The tests made yesterday showed that there is still a small subcutaneous spot - said the head coach, referring to the muscle injury suffered by the Bayern forward. Today he will work out at only 70% and we will then evaluate the situation and decide whether to increase the work load or save him for the match against Ukraine".

There is a new face on the National team in Coverciano - Pasquale Foggia, midfielder of Cagliari and a returning player, Christian Panucci. And Donadoni underlined: "Panucci was called for how he is playing. I have always said that what happens on the field is important, and then you have to add the fact that he has always showed his willingness towards the National team. I am positively surprised".

The news of the confirmed disqualification for the head coach of France, Domenech, reached Coverciano and Donadoni replied: "If it were up to me, Domenech should be on the bench. With no problem. I do not want to make the decisions for anyone else. Sometimes they say that you can see the match better from up high. And there are those who have collaborators in the stands to point certain things out. For me, however, being on the bench is fundamental".

Donadoni was certain that the controversy raised by Domenech will not influence what happens on the field and confirmed what was said by the FIGC president, Abete: "If I should happen to meet Domenech at the stadium, I will be happy to shake his hand".

Panucci and Chiellini are different aspects of the team put together by Donadoni, as they represent the "old and the new". Panucci is back on the team after a three-year absence: "I was stunned - said the Roma defender - when Donadoni called me last week to see if I was available. He had done this in the past, too, but this time he actually called me on the team. Never say never in life and I am happy, without any regrets about the past, when I see the pictures of my teammates in Coverciano after the World Cup title one a little more than a year ago. With Lippi I always accepted by responsibilities and admitted my faults. I have always respected his decisions."
    Giorgio Chiellini is back on the team after his experience with the National Under 21 team in the European Championships in The Netherlands: "I am back on the National team - he says - after two important wins with the Juventus team and my objective is now to stay on the team. I would not have any problems marking Trezeguet on the field on Saturday, but the decision is up to the coach. One thing is for sure: France is the one afraid of us. We are aware that with the right determination and will, the win and qualification for the European Championships depends only on us".

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
    May 27, 2007
    Tesoro, thanks for the above posts. I read similar this afternoon, & they clearly show the professional attitude of the Italian side of the affair!

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    They are a good side with a great player.

They made it to the quarter finals of the WC which isn't to be sniffed at. I would put them in the group of teams behind the sort of big 6 or so teams.
    Hmm let recap, they were walloped by Spain but came second in a group that consisted of Spain, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia ( i think). They were involved in the worst game in the tournament against Switzerland and only came thru on penalties and they got walloped by Italy 3-0 in the quarters. That does not sound like a good team at all. Scotland would beat them at Hampden park, I am almost sure of it

Sicilian Juve

May 17, 2006
    Personally, I prefer the response of our players. They will, they say, show their displeasure by outclassing the French on the pitch.

And Donadoni has said he'd rather Domenech was on the bench. He would then shake Domenech's hand...a gentleman's gesture. (after Italia have won of course!)
    Very well said. Italy has too much class to respond in kind. It kind of reminds me of the Germany game in 06. Hope for the same out come. Forza Azzurri.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
    Hmm let recap, they were walloped by Spain but came second in a group that consisted of Spain, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia ( i think). They were involved in the worst game in the tournament against Switzerland and only came thru on penalties and they got walloped by Italy 3-0 in the quarters. That does not sound like a good team at all. Scotland would beat them at Hampden park, I am almost sure of it
    Ukraine became the first team to qualify for wc2006, having finished above Turkey, Denmark and Greece.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)