Norway-Italy (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Gotta side with Don on this one. Bonera and Iaquinta are ordinary players and I don't think Esposito is ready to play a major role on the international scene even though he's been nothing but superb for Cagliari. For all the promise he's shown De Rossi isn't ready to start for the NT either (IMO anyways). Gilardino should definitely be in the team as he's better than Vieri, Toni, Lucarelli and Montella. As for Cassano, his talent is unquestionable but if Del Piero can be a bit more consistent and continue playing like he did in the closing stages of the season he would be my pick for the man to start alongside Gilardino in attack. IMO Cassano just hasn't done enough this season to convince me that he deserves a place in the starting XI.

OP

delp_07

Jan 31, 2005
  • Thread Starter #24
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    Gotta side with Don on this one. Bonera and Iaquinta are ordinary players and I don't think Esposito is ready to play a major role on the international scene even though he's been nothing but superb for Cagliari. For all the promise he's shown De Rossi isn't ready to start for the NT either (IMO anyways). Gilardino should definitely be in the team as he's better than Vieri, Toni, Lucarelli and Montella. As for Cassano, his talent is unquestionable but if Del Piero can be a bit more consistent and continue playing like he did in the closing stages of the season he would be my pick for the man to start alongside Gilardino in attack. IMO Cassano just hasn't done enough this season to convince me that he deserves a place in the starting XI.

Well said there man

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
    This is wad I have in mind

-----------------------Buffon-----------------
    Oddo---------Canna---------Nesta-------Zambro
    -----------Camo--------Pirlo--------Gattuso
    ------------------------ DP ------------
    ----------------Gilardino --------- Cassano/Di Michele

Note: I would like to place DP as a free role and either Cassano or Di Michele, but 1st I would like to see who performs better. If Cassano were really be a Juve player, I can see that his skills were to improve. It's sad that Di Michele is unnoticed despite of his performaces this season And screw Totti, he is juz a clown.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Doesn't matter. Italy have spent two consecutive tournaments failing with the "Old Guard," supposedly having the best squad in the last WC next to Brazil. Del Piero, Inzaghi, Vieri, Zanetti, Perrotta, and others are worn out, have been used and we have seen what they can do. It's time for Italy to move on, mold a completely different team, and that's what Lippi is going to do. And frankly I don't want Del Piero in the team because it would be a waste of time and I want him to concentrate on Juventus if indeed we are going to keep him. Cassano was Italy's best player at Euro 2004 so what he has done this season at a pathetic Roma is irrelevent for Lippi.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by delp_07 ] ++

Well said there man
    Thanks.

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Doesn't matter. Italy have spent two consecutive tournaments failing with the "Old Guard," supposedly having the best squad in the last WC next to Brazil. Del Piero, Inzaghi, Vieri, Zanetti, Perrotta, and others are worn out, have been used and we have seen what they can do. It's time for Italy to move on, mold a completely different team, and that's what Lippi is going to do. And frankly I don't want Del Piero in the team because it would be a waste of time and I want him to concentrate on Juventus if indeed we are going to keep him. Cassano was Italy's best player at Euro 2004 so what he has done this season at a pathetic Roma is irrelevent for Lippi.
    I don't really care what Italy have done in their last two tournaments, the only way they're going to enjoy success in 2006 is if they carry and play the best players they have available to them. I wouldn't call Inzaghi, Vieri, Zanetti or Perrotta, but Del Piero deserves to be in the squad. Cassano should be in there as well but whether he should start or not is debatable and rightly so.

What other young players do you propose Lippi sticks with? Should Blasi be in the team at Perrotta's expense because the latter is older? I'm not saying that guys like Perrotta and DP should be first team regulars but I'd rather have them at my disposal than Blasi, Esposito and Iaquinta.

OP

delp_07

Jan 31, 2005
  • Thread Starter #28
    I guesse its just going to have to come down to who performs at what level next year, but ill tell you one thing i always feel comftorable when del piero is on the field, even totti at times to when he isnt a hot head he is simply devastating

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    I have no problem with Lippi starting Cassano ahead of Del Piero, but Dp should at least be in the squad. That's my opinion anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)