No place for Giovinco? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjerknes

Mar 16, 2004
My real take on the issue is this. The way we play doesn't call for a player such as Giovinco. For us to succeed, we need runners in every position who can attack and defend with equal capability for their positions, hence to protect our frail defense. The straight 4-4-2 of ours revolves around power and simple structure, which basically ends up being the most simple formation to field and the easiest approach to defending. A player such as Giovinco, who has massive talent but a frail body, doesn't fit in with the plans.

Unless he will be used as a striker, I don't really see a true future for him while Ranieri is in charge, unless he can somehow bulk up and improve his defensive game.

Alen

Apr 2, 2007
I am totally with Dominic on this issue and I also agree with Rab that he will get his fair share of playing time.

Apropos this, can someone (Alen) provide us with some statistics on Gianfranco Zola during his first season in Napoli under Ranieri?
I believe you mean Zola's 3rd season in Napoli and Ranieri's first season there, right ?

If that's what you wanna know, then you should first know that Zola was 25 already when Ranieri took over Napoli.

When Ranieri came, Zola already had two successful seasons in Naples. In the first season he was a sub for Maradona and in the second season Maradona was suspended (15 months ban) and Zola was a regular.

Maradona left the team at the same time when Ranieri came to Napoli and Zola was the team's main star. Ranieri, of course, had no other choice but to play him a lot.

The short answer of your question is 30 matches (out of possible 34) and 12 goals. These are Zola's stats in his first season with Ranieri.

JCK

Biased
Premium
May 11, 2004
Ален;1790713 said:
I believe you mean Zola's 3rd season in Napoli and Ranieri's first season there, right ?

If that's what you wanna know, then you should first know that Zola was 25 already when Ranieri took over Napoli.

When Ranieri came, Zola already had two successful seasons in Naples. In the first season he was a sub for Maradona and in the second season Maradona was suspended (15 months ban) and Zola was a regular.

Maradona left the team at the same time when Ranieri came to Napoli and Zola was the team's main star. Ranieri, of course, had no other choice but to play him a lot.

The short answer of your question is 30 matches (out of possible 34) and 12 goals. These are Zola's stats in his first season with Ranieri.
I asked about this season because Ranieri is "known fir unleashing Zola". Zola's first season didn't see much playing time but his second season where Maradona was suspended, was he good?

Bjerknes

Mar 16, 2004
For me there is simply no place for Giovinco now. I don't think grooming talent for the future is not the way to go for Juve. We have to think of the present first and not do an Arsenal. Besides how good can he be? As good as Del Piero? as good as what Cristiano was last season? or as good as Messi? what's that going to get us, one Champions League? It takes more than one fantastic player to win trophies.
Yeah, you're right, fuck youngsters. Fuck nurturing young talents, lets just ship them off to FC Ulan-Bator and see if they can prove their worth there.

Fucking goddamned idiocy.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I disagree, I think he will earn his spot gradually. My only concern is when. If he doesn't do it by the end of this year he would have been better off being loaned out to a mid-table club. He needs to regain confidence through playing time; I also worry that Nedved is being used beyond his limit. Playing 4 games in the space of two weeks is no easy task for a 36 year old. Ranieri needs to rotate his squad a little more to avoid potential injuries, we really cannot afford any more.
He allready did that last season and he was by faar the best player in empoli's team. Loaning him again wouldn't be a smart move. We either gonna use him or not and a player with gio's talent will definately find lot of admirers out there. So he won't hang around for 2-3 years out on loan till finaly we do call him back (that could happen with average players but not with him).

I hate to sound pessimistic but i really don't think he'll be a first team player under ranieri, Why !! Because he simply don't fit in ranierie's ideal formation "4-4-2" .

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Yeah, you're right, fuck youngsters. Fuck nurturing young talents, lets just ship them off to FC Ulan-Bator and see if they can prove their worth there.

Fucking goddamned idiocy.
Didn't we already send him to Empoli? They got relegated. and the Olympics? I hoped he was going to be the best player in the world, he definitely had a bad start for that.
And like I said before, my problem isn't youngsters (if they are already better than their alternatives), it's the grooming and nurturing part that I think should be left for the smaller club. I think it's idiocy to compromise the present for the 'uncertain' future.

Miki

Jun 18, 2008
Didn't we already send him to Empoli? They got relegated. and the Olympics? I hoped he was going to be the best player in the world, he definitely had a bad start for that.
And like I said before, my problem isn't youngsters (if they are already better than their alternatives), it's the grooming and nurturing part that I think should be left for the smaller club. I think it's idiocy to compromise the present for the 'uncertain' future.
Then we have idiocy to thank for Del Piero.

Bjerknes

Mar 16, 2004
Then we have idiocy to thank for Del Piero.
:seven:

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
So what does empoli or the olympics failure had to do with him!! He was just one player among other 10. Anyone that watched the player on a consistant bases with empoli or with the U-21 NT will agree that he's not just another talented player but rather a very special talent. And yes he's more talented than any other player we have currently in the team (with the exception of alex).

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
I am not against youngsters. I am against grooming though. If somebody is better as a youngster than what he would be when he gets older I would take the youngster. Fabregas is a youngster, he is better than older players (like Xabi), so he should play. I am for playing the best players (no discrimination for age, like play Maldini 40 or 50 if he's better than some 20 or 30 year old) for every game. If Giovinco was better than ADP or Neddy then I would have wanted him to play but he's not, so he must wait. For grooming, loan out to some feeder club.
Fabregas WAS groomed every player IS groomed! Young players=Investment! An Investments can yield immediate results but most take time.Maybe you forget that Real aka Los Galaticos failed miserably with an entire team based on superstars.Loaning can bring confidence & much needed playing time for young players but doing it once to often destroys the players confidence & alienates the player from the team.

Funny enough the same player in your avatar was groomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)