No place for Giovinco? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Many here are Giovinco fans, including myself. In the past week, we have managed to collect 9 points out of 9 in serie A, and a win against bitter rivals Madrid in the Champions league. This, all without the atomic ant. In fact, when Giovinco did play as a starter, we drew once and lost twice. This begs the question, will Giovinco ever see regular playing time under Ranieri this season?

Before the season started, I predicted that Giovinco would never start the big games and rarely start the small games. Untill now, I am right. Ranieri has shown little faith in him thus far this season and when he did, we ended up losing and drawing to mediocre teams, ofcourse, Giovinco was never particularly at fault in any of those games.

However, when he does play, as I have mentioned a couple of months ago, he leaves vasts amount of space on the left wing and this heaps massive amounts of pressure on our already fragile defense. Once this space that Giovinco was supposed to cover is exposed; our left side of defense becomes exremely weak and vulnerable to any half decent team in serie A, let alone the Champions League.

We have all noticed Ranieri's questionable decisions in continually playing Nedved in each and every single game. Surely, a player of 36 years of age will not be able to withstand such pressure. We all criticized Ranieri for this, but Nedved was our hero against Bologna in midweek, he was our best and most energetic player. Nedved is in excellent form at the moment and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon, he has obviously won the respect of Claudio Ranieri and it is rather evident that Ranieri will start Nedved without thinking twice.

What happens to Seba then? Do we leave him to rot on the bench, or do we just allow him 15 minutes of playing time on the condition that we are leading by at least two goals? Perhaps the Roma game was evident of that last point; we were up 2-0 against a collapsed and destroyed Roma side, however, Ranieri feared the Romans would come back and opted for a sheer defensive change in putting in DC for Nedved.

The way I see it, the only time we will ever see Giovinco playing is in one of the three cases below.

1- We are leading comfortably against an inferior team in serie A.

2- Nedved gets injured and/or is absolutely exhausted.

3- Ranieri wants to rotate the squad ahead of a big game in serie A or the Champions league.

What are your takes on this/

Jul 2, 2006
Giovinco will slowly take Del Piero's place.i think he is more suitable for this role.we need a strong player like Nedved for left wing.

Ranieri will leave and new manager will be decisive for his future.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Them main problem is that football is based on positive results.Its disturbing for me that our management team cant think for the future,everything is based on instant gratification.When you have a jewel like Gio,it should be cherished.Imo he should be given more time.Players should not only be bought for one role but one has to look at how they compliment their colleagues on the pitch.

OP
OP
rounder

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
The dilemma here is that Juve are playing better and achieving better results without Seba; why would Ranieri want to change his formation when it's been working to perfection recently?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I think there's a space for him. He can play in couple of positions if not more. His time will come this season, I'm confident.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
The dilema here is that Juve are playing better and achieving better results without Seba; why would Ranieri want to change his formation when it's been working to perfection recently?
Thats the main problem! INSTANT GRATIFICATION! All goods things must come to an end,Alex & Neddy wont be around forever & Ranieri is doing nothing to groom these players.Its not entirely his fault but Im looking at the bigger picture here.Just remember,when u fail to plan,u plan to fail!

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
We needed to fix our problems when we were in crisis. Ranieri turned back to the old guard to do so. Things were getting worse when Ranieri experimented in the middle of our crisis with Giovinco. I think Ranieri's (over)protection of Giovinco is genuine. Ranieri wants the team to tick, before integrating new elements.

OP
OP
rounder

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I partly agree with Byron here.

Giovinco is the future of this team; he needs to start seeing some playing time. Nedved won't be with us next year, therefore, we need Giovinco to be ready as soon as possible. However, he's not what the team needs at the moment.

OP
OP
rounder

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I think there's a space for him. He can play in couple of positions if not more. His time will come this season, I'm confident.
He can play the traquerista role but that would mean benching Neddy.

I don't see him replacing Del piero,he doesn't fit in that position in my opinion. He is more of a Zidane than he is a support striker. Perhaps he could play in a 4-4-1-1 role though.

Right now, Ranieri seems content with the 4-4-2; when he experimented, things wen't very badly. I loved the idea of the 4-3-1-2 but the midfield was rubbish that day. I think we should practice that formation more often as it could very well be the formation we will be using not too long from now.

OP
OP
rounder

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Trigger, if somehow there is a fallout between Giovinco and the management, and he ends up moving to Arsenal or something, our future won't look too bright.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
We needed to fix our problems when we were in crisis. Ranieri turned back to the old guard to do so. Things were getting worse when Ranieri experimented in the middle of our crisis with Giovinco. I think Ranieri's (over)protection of Giovinco is genuine. Ranieri wants the team to tick, before integrating new elements.
At 36yrs old Neddy is at greater risk of being injured than any other player.I agree that Ranieri needed to fix the situation but he is running the risk of alienating our youngsters.There should be a balance in the team & unfortunaltely its not happening.As for the crisis,imo its not over as we have inadequate management & demanding board of directors which seem to forget that minimum input will not bring maximum output in football.

I just find it way too disturbing that this team is way too reliant on the old guard.

cunninlynguists

Amsterdam Ambassador
May 7, 2006
Trigger, if somehow there is a fallout between Giovinco and the management, and he ends up moving to Arsenal or something, our future won't look too bright.
he'd be a fool to go to arsenal
wenger will probably leave if they dont win anything (again) so which trainer wants his average age at 20? there is only one

do you rather want us to lose with gio, or win withouth him?

cunninlynguists

Amsterdam Ambassador
May 7, 2006
At 36yrs old Neddy is at greater risk of being injured than any other player.I agree that Ranieri needed to fix the situation but he is running the risk of alienating our youngsters.There should be a balance in the team & unfortunaltely its not happening.As for the crisis,imo its not over as we have inadequate management & demanding board of directors which seem to forget that minimum input will not bring maximum output in football.

I just find it way too disturbing that this team is way too reliant on the old guard.
Not true. Only Del Piero and Nedved have featured in our last few games. Call them ''old'' but Del Piero still owns defenders and scores amazing goals. You cannot force somebody into the team. He needs to fit into the team. That takes time

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
I think that he should be tried as a second attacker. Trezi won't be back for a while and we are a bit short in the forward department until then. If defending is the problem then he should be tried in that department in the short term. However he should be playing the midfield whether it is as free winger or anywhere because he will need to learn to defend someday because in the modern game it is a must.
The most important thing is that he plays imo the position is irrelevant atm.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
I'm a Juve fan first, as long as we win I really don't care if it is with or without Giovinco
If that were the case you would realise that its in the best interest of Juventus to groom young talent,avoid wasting vast amount of funds on unnecessary players & turning it into a profitable sporting organistion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)