Must win: Italy vs. Ukraine, @ Georgia (12 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Camo set for Ukraine start?
Tuesday 3 October, 2006
Today’s training session suggests Mauro Camoranesi and Alessandro Del Piero will support Luca Toni against the Ukraine.

Coach Roberto Donadoni seems to have shelved a pure trident attack for the moment, preferring two deeper attacking players who can help the midfield and aid lone hitman Toni.

Juventus teammates Camoranesi and Del Piero, part of the World Cup winning party this summer, were left out of Donadoni’s squad for the disappointing games against Croatia, Lithuania and France due to fitness worries.

Yet they look set to start in this crunch match against the Ukraine, now a decisive result for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

The midfield trio of Gennaro Gattuso, Andrea Pirlo and Roma’s Daniele De Rossi should be confirmed.

With Fabio Grosso ruled out by a thigh strain, Donadoni tested Lazio right-back Massimo Oddo with Gianluca Zambrotta moved to the left.

However, the tactician also experimented with a 4-3-3 system for the other line-up in a game between ranks, headed by Vincenzo Iaquinta, Pippo Inzaghi and Antonio Di Natale.

Udinese play with a trident attack, so Iaquinta and Di Natale are the best accustomed to this tactic.

The match will be at Rome’s Stadio Olimpico on Saturday evening and a full house is expected, as by this afternoon 19,000 tickets had already been sold.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
I am happy that Alex got recalled to side. Without Totti, and Cassano, he is only player who has that touch of magic which can change the nature of game.:pint:

I am curious as to what formation Donadoni will play against Ukraine. It is a must win game and in my view he must field a trident attack. My choices would be Del Piero, Di Michele and Inzaghi up front. With Rossi gone at the helm, I am back to supporting Azzuri again but Donadoni must now start to deliver. And that starts fielding more sane formation with players playing their accustomed position. Iaquinta does not belong in a trident scheme other than fresh leg to prep up some speed and strenght on the flank.

Daria_Uruguay

Aug 28, 2006
Il Re said:
one more goal for ale to overtake baggio in the all time scorers for italy, currently on 27
wow I didnt know that... At it says a lot.

Today I read a really interesting article in torino´s paper, La Stampa, about how in others national teams players in ale´s age or even youngers have been taken out by the coaches( van nisterroy, raul, beckham, giggs) while Ale has resisted time, coaches, bad luck, injuries to become a legend also in the national team

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I have a good feeling about this Del piero´s game :)

Lets hope he will use some of his magic and get the points ;)

OP
danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #49
    Il Re said:
    one more goal for ale to overtake baggio in the all time scorers for italy, currently on 27
    Would move him to fourth all-time.

Luigi Riva - 35
    Giuseppe Meazza - 33
    Silvio Piola - 30
    Roberto Baggio - 27
    Alessandro Del Piero - 27

OP
    danielão

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #50
    So this is basically the formation that Donadoni looked at in practice yesterday then...

Buffon - Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Nesta, Oddo - Gattuso, Pirlo, De Rossi - Del Piero, Camoranesi - Toni.

Muha

The Head Physio
    Feb 25, 2004
    And people are still asking who is gonna wear the no. 10 shirt!!!... let me guess..umm.. Abbiati ?!!

Dragula

Jul 17, 2006
    My formation would look like this

--------------------Toni
    ----Del Piero
    ----------------------------Camoranesi

----------De Rossi-----Gattuso

-------------------Pirlo

--Zambrotta----------------------Oddo

----------Cannavaro--Materazzi

------------------Buffon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)