Music or lyrics...? (1 Viewer)

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
What is it that makes you remember the song?

There are/were so many one hit wonders with catchy tunes and no substance. Do you still remember them by the tune?

There are so many bands with many songs that never made it into a "hit list" but whose lyrics is something that can "hit" you every time you remember them?

Or does it have to be combination of two?

What are you after?

PS. I'm asuming that none is after "looks" ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
LFO- summer girls
Barbie girl
Who let the dogs out?

damn theres so many.

you shouldnt ask me about hit list or the charts because i think they are for the masses of ignorant listeners.

lyrics just serve to enhance the music as it is, or to communicate with words instead of emotion. but sometimes they can make a difference in traditional music

Real music has no words. Pure music makes no connection with the listener except through melody, harmony, rhythm and the often overlooked one: timbre.

And I know many people who are into 'looks'- ie bands who they dress like. i dont think thats cool.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Josh ] ++
LFO- summer girls
Barbie girl
Who let the dogs out?

damn theres so many.

you shouldnt ask me about hit list or the charts because i think they are for the masses of ignorant listeners.

lyrics just serve to enhance the music as it is, or to communicate with words instead of emotion. but sometimes they can make a difference in traditional music

Real music has no words. Pure music makes no connection with the listener except through melody, harmony, rhythm and the often overlooked one: timbre.

And I know many people who are into 'looks'- ie bands who they dress like. i dont think thats cool.
Very good post. The beauty of music is in its melody. Lyrics is just an addition.

When I was a kid (back in USSR) and spoke no English I really enjoyed music in a language I did not understand. Now I can't help it :D

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Music for sure....

the lyrics influ4nce me.. but music its byfar what take the attention of me..

i like o listen to any kind of music... no mater in what language is or what the lyrics says.

I like a band called "IN flames" and a song called "episode 666" from them mainly. I dont really like the lyrics but the muysic is cool.

I like a lot Japanese rock and metal. I dont understand a single word of japanese... but i dont know why... in japan they tend to do a cool style of rock.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I recently started to listen to Italian opera... Bruno Lazaretti type of stuff. Excellent music. When I hear it I imagine sitting in La Scala and listening to it live...

Aug 1, 2003
Bit of both really. But you know what's the best bout music? Just now I was looking through my old CD collections and I came across Goo Goo Dolls' "Big Machine" and how some songs can transport you back to the past. You just get the feeling and reminded of old times.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
Bit of both really. But you know what's the best bout music? Just now I was looking through my old CD collections and I came across Goo Goo Dolls' "Big Machine" and how some songs can transport you back to the past. You just get the feeling and reminded of old times.
Good practice. All my mp3's are accurately lined up in directories named by years (1997, 1998, etc) when songs were released, starting with 1993. My playlists are managed in the same way.

So I just have to choose which year's memories I want to bring up :D

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Music or lyrics? What a good question in my opinion.

It's the music for me big time and it always has been. I listen to classics, latin, alternative, pop, rap and so on once it has a good rythmn or/and melody. I really for some reason don't pay attention to lyrics at all unless they are catchy and really outstand with the music.

The only artist I listened to lyrics was Eminem and that was only for his first album, The Slim Shady lp.

I am a big fan of techno and pure moods. This is music without lyrics. Just great beats and melodies. Thats great motivation to me.

About the bringing back of memories with old songs. I do it all the time. Music is really something wierd.

I was a big fan of rap some years back where The Neptunes and Timbaland were making some wicked beats such as: Superthug, Hey Papi, Is that ur chick? I just wanna love u, Ochie wally and so on.

Now the beats suck mostly and are just the same thing over in every song. Lil Jon for example, he has some alright beats but it's similiar in my opinion.

Some exceptions to songs that I like for lyrics:

Oasis - Wonderwall
Eminem - most of his songs, especially his first album
Coldplay
Alanis Morriesette
Dave Mathew's Band - crash into me

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
I don't listen to the lyrics usually. But for some odd reason the bands I listen to always have great lyrics. Perhaps I listen to the lyrics without knowing it.

One even more odd thing I've noticed is that my favourite songs almost always are about drugs. "Master of puppets" is my favourite metallica song, "Flyin' high in the friendly sky" is my favourite Marvin Gaye and "Shine on you crazy diamond" from Pink FLoyd are all about drugs. Say what you want about drugs but without it we would have missed out on a lot of good music.

dd_imp

Sep 26, 2002
Both!
When a song hits me and stays right there in my heart, it's "a song" that does. A song.."a whole melodious and meaningful song"...not a good poem or a nice piece of music.

And about the looks, well, it's just a bonus!!!:D

Aug 1, 2003
I think I'm lucky. Because I like songs because of their music, and then when I look for lyrics suddenly it relates to me completely somehow. Latest luck was with George Michael's "Amazing". Great song, great lyrics.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
great posts people.

another thing- there are some artists who combine music with a story in the form of lyrics- its very poetic. like rock ballads except deeper.

download any song by brighteyes and you will know exactly what i mean. it changed me a lot.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

It used to be the music for me, but now are the lyrics. it depends as well on what type of music a person listens to.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
I remember that i bought goo goo dolls "Dizzy up the Girl" cd.

Very good buy iMO. i Consider that cd one of the best pop rock disc i have listened.

Dharurat

Oct 16, 2002
generally, i would say that for any particular song to appeal to me, both the music and lyrics have to be able to fit nicely with each other. But there are xceptions to this rule for me....

For punk and hardcore bands, i consider the lyrics and message more important than the music itself..... Punk and hardcore for me should have elements of the political, and music is merely the vessel in expressing it....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)