Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (116 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
2001 a space Odyssey

I can appreciate it as a piece of art especially considering the time it was made but as a movie I didn't feel too entertained and don't think I will want to watch it again.

The story line didn't blow me away but I was impressed by the visuals. I can imagine back in the day this would of been amazing and unique. I guess I've seen too many space movies to be able to appreciate it properly now.

Im interested to hear why people still love it and why it is considered one of the greatest movies of all time. Is it purely based on the visuals, sound track and what would of at one time been a unique look at technology and space?

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
This is why i don't go to the cinema. Smartphones, talking and eating noises. Shit makes me crazy.
I rarely go, in 2019 only watched 1 film, none in 2018 and 2 films in 2017 (Dunkirk+BR2049) But I wasn't gonna miss 1917.

So naturally, 15 minutes in, a group of 7-8 young doctors came in and walked around for 5 minutes looking for their seats :baus:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This is why i don't go to the cinema. Smartphones, talking and eating noises. Shit makes me crazy.
Regular cinema experience is garbage.

Film festivals are far better for a good cinematic experience. Usually people are a lot more respectful at these things.

And best are the little cinematheques that show retrospectives of great directors from around the world and throughout film history. Nothing like being able to go see Tarkovsky, Lang, Resnais, etc etc films on the silver screen to this day.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Regular cinema experience is garbage.

Film festivals are far better for a good cinematic experience. Usually people are a lot more respectful at these things.

And best are the little cinematheques that show retrospectives of great directors from around the world and throughout film history. Nothing like being able to go see Tarkovsky, Lang, Resnais, etc etc films on the silver screen to this day.
i have no words.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Being the cultural laggard that I am, I finally saw Parasite. I quite liked it, but I also don’t get the fuss. Why people are falling over themselves for it at awards. Why people are flipping out that none of its actors were nominated because of racism.

TBH, I thought the previous year’s Burning was a much better, more enigmatic, and more artistically worthy film out of Korea. But nobody flipped out about it at award ceremonies.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Being the cultural laggard that I am, I finally saw Parasite. I quite liked it, but I also don’t get the fuss. Why people are falling over themselves for it at awards. Why people are flipping out that none of its actors were nominated because of racism.

TBH, I thought the previous year’s Burning was a much better, more enigmatic, and more artistically worthy film out of Korea. But nobody flipped out about it at award ceremonies.
I agree with this. I don't understand the fuss either . Good movie until spoilers ahead
the former maid came to the house to get "her things". Who in their right mind would let her in the house when you have your hole family staying there , especially when you don't have to open the door.
It obviously needed to happen to drive the plot forward . There were other plot contrivences at the end but I remember that one particularly.
In the end good movie but certainly not a masterpiece, for me anyway.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003

Really good movie but really over hyped. There has been much better Korean movies over the years but I'm glad they are starting to get more recognition in Hollywood.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I agree with this. I don't understand the fuss either . Good movie until spoilers ahead
the former maid came to the house to get "her things". Who in their right mind would let her in the house when you have your hole family staying there , especially when you don't have to open the door.
It obviously needed to happen to drive the plot forward . There were other plot contrivences at the end but I remember that one particularly.
Great point.

I had the same reaction to the rich family somehow cluelessly turning over all their loyal, trusted staffers on short order due entirely due to referrals from new employees. You don’t even have to have the new employees related to each other to be suspicious of why all your veteran staff suddenly come down with fireable offenses within a few weeks of each other.

It stretched my suspension of disbelief way too far.

As you said, to move the plot forward....

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Absolutely. The movie had some absurdity that makes you speechless, but you effectively shouldn't take it seriously. It's really absurd.

It's the style of the movie.

After that moment you described, the whole thing becomes hollywoodian, loses the plot mentally and escalates further and further

It was entertaining but I'm surprised it's viewed as a masterpiece

And there were some inconsistencies

Like the english teacher getting is head bashed with a rock and bleeding to death and then he's still alive

Last edited:

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Thought Parasite was excellent and preferred it to Burning (which I also really liked).

It is a black comedy at times, it is meant to be a bit absurd in places. Glad Korean cinema is getting recognition, there are some superb films out there (most with bizarre dark twists).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 111)