Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (25 Viewers)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
How the light house hasn't been nominated for more awards is shocking.

William Dafoe and Robert pattinson both deserve too awards as does the director.

It's one of them movies I feel like I'm going to really enjoy watching more than once.

- - - Updated - - -

So that guy won an award for playing Elton John. I'm actually an Elton John fan but that movie sucked. I wonder if the movie didn't deal with gay issues would it if won any awards. Typical award bait crap.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:agree:
Dusan is a lunatic. Dr Strangelove is amazing. I don’t see how it could be called boring. :shifty:

But I still love Dusan, so I’ll let this one slide. :boh:
I literally couldn't stand it :D lol

I didn't know him! Thanks for the recommendation! It looks very interesting and curious.

:shocked:. One of my favorite movies ever!

Here I totally agree with you. Although I wasn't surprised, it's just what I expected, and more. It's fucking amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

And I can't wait to see 1917.
I started watching with zero expectations and that's what I love about it recently. I try to avoid trailers as much as possible, just like reviews, it ruins the experience while the reward is bigger.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
How the light house hasn't been nominated for more awards is shocking.

William Dafoe and Robert pattinson both deserve too awards as does the director.

It's one of them movies I feel like I'm going to really enjoy watching more than once.

- - - Updated - - -

So that guy won an award for playing Elton John. I'm actually an Elton John fan but that movie sucked. I wonder if the movie didn't deal with gay issues would it if won any awards. Typical award bait crap.
I'm dying to watch Lighthouse, I'm sure it's fantastic.

And yes, that Elton John movie sucked.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I'm trying to get hold of this movie:

Seems like an interesting an compelling way to tell a story about, not race, but gentrification.

I have a former classmate who lives now in San fran (half ze relatives from there) who recommended this film to me. Tells me some bizzare and interesting story rapid economic tech boom that litterally priced out/kicked people who some lived there for generations, from all kinds of backgrounds, ethnicities. Prolly only @Kyle or @swag who can relate to it here as locals, or former locals. Maybe Dru too.
ah yes very relatable to my life experiences :shifty:

- - - Updated - - -

Watching 1917 this Friday. :weee:
dying to see this. didnt even see star wars but im excited for this.

love a good war movie

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
ah yes very relatable to my life experiences :shifty:

- - - Updated - - -

dying to see this. didnt even see star wars but im excited for this.

love a good war movie
I also like them but imo there aren't many good ones. At least I can't say I enjoyed them.

I think it's gonna be a good one, though, so can't waiiiit.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I also like them but imo there aren't many good ones. At least I can't say I enjoyed them.

have you seen the movie Come and See?

heard about it only recently. looks very highly rated but i was surprised to have not heard of it until now. maybe because its not in English

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012

I'll knock it a bit then. :D

It's a very good film, but mostly on a technical level imo. The cinematography by Roger Deakins is the obvious thing to highlight (along with the sound and music) because it's made to give the impression that it's one long take (there are a few obvious cuts though). But in my opinion this gimmick just makes me too aware of the camera, and for that reason it's difficult to immerse yourself in the film. I can understand why people really like the film, but personally I admired it more than I loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

And there are a lot of great war films. :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

It's a very good film, but mostly on a technical level imo. The cinematography by Roger Deakins is the obvious thing to highlight (along with the sound and music) because it's made to give the impression that it's one long take (there are a few obvious cuts though). But in my opinion this gimmick just makes me too aware of the camera, and for that reason it's difficult to immerse yourself in the film. I can understand why people really like the film, but personally I admired it more than I loved it.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree with this entirely.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

- - - Updated - - -

If the movie is stupid then such aspect is quite useless. Such reasons can't be enough to classify it as a great movie, let alone one of the best ever.

What are your fav war movies?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The Shining - It's been a while since I saw a movie this stupid.

I watched Home Alone 1 and 2, again, it's just for this time of year.

Room - I can't say I'm really impressed. It's a decent movie and I didn't find it boring, but bar acting from Brie Larson I wouldn't highlight much of it.

The Third Man
- Pretty disappointed. It started off rather well but last 1/3 of the movie was really bad. Also, I can't think of many movies that had worse music. It was just horrible.

Ben-Hur - I loved it. It had some silly stuff but it's minor and I totally ignored it. It's a bit less than 4h long yet I found it very entertaining. It's an epic movie for sure. Oh and just to make myself clear, I'm talking about an old one, not the remake dogshit.

Once Upon a time in America - Brilliant. I loved it. It's by far the best movie with De Niro in it. I watched some long ass 4.5h version of it and I enjoyed every second of it. The ending is just awesome. It has no flaws and it lets you sink in. Morricone's music is perfect and sounds like from another planet, crazy stuff, absolutely beautiful.

The Elephant Man
- The surface is pretty good. It's entertaining and the pacing is great. However, the layers of it and the creature on the surface and it's soul is something that mocks the modern society and for such it's very well made. I think it's an amazing movie by Lynch.

Akira - I was postponing this one for quite a long time due to me wanting to read manga, so I waited the translation, but no, I just couldn't wait no longer and gave it a shot. And what a shot it was, as this is one of the best animated movies that I've ever seen. It's easily up there with Miyazaki's best work. The influence by Jean Giraud (Moebius) is quite obvious which makes that guy literally a legend considering the influence he left behind him. It was entertaining and it had depth, layers and hidden meanings. There's no need to please me more in order to say it's darn perfect.

Jojo Rabbit - Waika Waititi is surely crazy. It's a fun and entertaining movie. He created quite a lot with so little. However, I think Hunt for the Wilderpeople is way, way better movie. I'd probably give this one a 7.

Seppuku - Amazing. Unlike Ran, I really enjoyed this one.

Ford vs Ferrari - It's fine. Nothing special really. Can be easily skipped.

Andhadhun - It was great! Totally surprised by it. I loved the ending, it was amazing.

Klaus - Wonderful animation and a great one for the winter days. It's not like it has depth but for what was given it's great.

Barry Lyndon - Another 3+ hours movie which I really, really liked. Quite an adventure and an eye candy.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
If the movie is stupid then such aspect is quite useless. Such reasons can't be enough to classify it as a great movie, let alone one of the best ever.
Huh?

What are your fav war movies?
The Thin Red Line
Come and See
Paths of Glory
The Pianist
Apocalypse Now
Grave of the Fireflies
Barry Lyndon
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Son of Saul
Hotel Rwanda
La vita e bella
The Hurt Locker
Kajaki
Ivan's Childhood
Letters from Iwo Jima
Under sandet
Timbuktu
Platoon
Lawrence of Arabia
Doctor Zhivago

I could mention Atonement, Gone With the Wind, Pan's Labyrinth etc. as well, but it's probably questionable if they classify as war films or not. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 19)