Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (83 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm trying to get hold of this movie:

Seems like an interesting an compelling way to tell a story about, not race, but gentrification.

I have a former classmate who lives now in San fran (half ze relatives from there) who recommended this film to me. Tells me some bizzare and interesting story rapid economic tech boom that litterally priced out/kicked people who some lived there for generations, from all kinds of backgrounds, ethnicities. Prolly only @Kyle or @swag who can relate to it here as locals, or former locals. Maybe Dru too.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
I seen it a few months ago. I thought it was good but not great. I like the vibe an soundtrack there's a good feel to the movie but the storyline was too flat for me I just didn't find it too interesting.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I'm trying to get hold of this movie:

Seems like an interesting an compelling way to tell a story about, not race, but gentrification.

I have a former classmate who lives now in San fran (half ze relatives from there) who recommended this film to me. Tells me some bizzare and interesting story rapid economic tech boom that litterally priced out/kicked people who some lived there for generations, from all kinds of backgrounds, ethnicities. Prolly only @Kyle or @swag who can relate to it here as locals, or former locals. Maybe Dru too.
Got family in SF, they work in tech and live in tiny apartments. More family live in Palo Alto, just outside SF but still in tiny apartments. Imagine being a regular guy and having to get by in the Bay Area.

Dude just rent a pod.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Majority of praise I hear for that movie is in part saying how he stood out.

What is it btw? Teaser trailer felt like a Hercule Poirot type of story.
Yeah, sort of. Mysterious death being solved but in a quite unique way of story telling, which I really liked it. It's really enjoyable and entertaining, you should watch it for sure. Dunno, I didn't mind the acting in general but Craig was in my opinion the worst point in the movie.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, sort of. Mysterious death being solved but in a quite unique way of story telling, which I really liked it. It's really enjoyable and entertaining, you should watch it for sure. Dunno, I didn't mind the acting in general but Craig was in my opinion the worst point in the movie.
He over acts for sure, but I thought it was necessary for certain reasons. The KFC Detective thing was hysterical at times.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
He over acts for sure, but I thought it was necessary for certain reasons. The KFC Detective thing was hysterical at times.
Such acting was way too fake for me, like he was being forced. In such role I literally saw 0% of the talent but something that majority of the people could handle. :boh: And I even think he's a fine actor. But it might be me, though, as my brother thought he was totally fine. Worst performance of his imo, tho.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Such acting was way too fake for me, like he was being forced. In such role I literally saw 0% of the talent but something that majority of the people could handle. :boh: And I even think he's a fine actor. But it might be me, though, as my brother thought he was totally fine. Worst performance of his imo, tho.
The overacting is definitely intentional. His character is basically a parody/homage to Hercule Poirot, as the name Bernoit Blanc indicates. But I guess it is annoying if you don't think it's funny. :D

EDIT: Oh, and Clouseau as well.

Jun 7, 2003
The Lighthouse - Holy crap was I surprised. It's like a creepy, crawling nightmare that wakes you up and makes you totally wonder. Not only that made me wonder but also how this movie appeared. I probably knew but I totally forgot, I was like... how the hell did this appear out of nowhere? Out of the US? Then I realized it's a Cannes movie and it made perfect sense. Having said that, the movie is not for everyone. He who loves artistic movies, Cannes movies and old style movies, he will love this one. At least I did. The cinematography was out of this world, black and white made it so mesmerizing, shots were so powerful and beautiful. Then I had another huge surprise. While I was watching my brother was passing by, saw me, and then asked "is Pattinson good in it" and I was like... what the fuck? I had no idea that was him. That acting was totally insane, holy crap, so great it was brilliant. Dafoe was probably even better! Those two totally killed it in this one, and yeah, Oscar worthy performance for both of them. It's a weird, fucked up and interesting movie. There are probably plenty of people who'd call it boring, and I don't care, I just want to see more of this stuff. I'm not familiar with Eggers but he fucking caught my attention.

Ran - I expected a lot more. Some of the moments were absolutely magnificent but I wanted more from Kurosawa. It was good but nothing special in my books.

Goodfellas - I'm definitely not a Scorsese fan. He does make good movies but I don't see the hype behind them, being labeled as one of the best movies ever, like this one. I did enjoy it and the cast was simply perfect. And it was good, I did enjoy it. But I won't wank over it. I've realized that mafia movies don't really impress me or at least majority didn't. I liked this one more than The Irishman. Scarface was pretty meh. The Godfather is the best one out there but even that one I wouldn't label as one of the greatest films ever, that's silly. Still, looking forward to seeing Scorsese work with DiCaprio in 2 new movies.

Mary and Max - Different approach, different animation (which I'm not a huge fan of, but I still appreciate the creativity), decent length and a nice story. I enjoyed it.

Judgment at Nuremberg - Can't get enough with the Nazis lul. After reading Maus it felt nice seeing this one. Despite majority of the movie being in the court, I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Interesting views and questions about the killings that were/are behind Germany and Hitler.
for mafia movies i think either you are the type to like it or not. i for sure am, but i agree that the godfather is one of the best, if not the best.

Juvenann

Sep 3, 2018
By the way, do you know of the filmmaker Bertrand Mandico? Has been making some great experimental shorts for years. But you should check out his first feature film The Wild Boys. Saw it recently. So good and I believe it would be just your cup of tea.
I didn't know him! Thanks for the recommendation! It looks very interesting and curious.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - I could barely stand this one. Huge disappointment and so boring.
:shocked:. One of my favorite movies ever!

The Lighthouse - Holy crap was I surprised. It's like a creepy, crawling nightmare that wakes you up and makes you totally wonder. Not only that made me wonder but also how this movie appeared. I probably knew but I totally forgot, I was like... how the hell did this appear out of nowhere? Out of the US? Then I realized it's a Cannes movie and it made perfect sense. Having said that, the movie is not for everyone. He who loves artistic movies, Cannes movies and old style movies, he will love this one. At least I did. The cinematography was out of this world, black and white made it so mesmerizing, shots were so powerful and beautiful. Then I had another huge surprise. While I was watching my brother was passing by, saw me, and then asked "is Pattinson good in it" and I was like... what the fuck? I had no idea that was him. That acting was totally insane, holy crap, so great it was brilliant. Dafoe was probably even better! Those two totally killed it in this one, and yeah, Oscar worthy performance for both of them. It's a weird, fucked up and interesting movie. There are probably plenty of people who'd call it boring, and I don't care, I just want to see more of this stuff. I'm not familiar with Eggers but he fucking caught my attention.
Here I totally agree with you. Although I wasn't surprised, it's just what I expected, and more. It's fucking amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

And I can't wait to see 1917.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 82)