Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (20 Viewers)

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
Justice League torrent is out if somebody is interested.
Haha probably the only movie this year that annoyed me more than The Last Jedi. Disney ruin movies with forced humor and pushing inclusiveness so much it hurts the plot (hello pointless Finn and Rose side story). While WB seemingly just don't know what they're doing. It's like they came away from BVS with the idea that people didn't enjoy it because it was dark and long, but ignored the fact that it was edited badly and didn't have a cohesive story. Then they followed it up by making two light hearted films with terrible editing and lame humor.

catch22

Aug 23, 2015
I've seen way less movies than usual this year (normally I'd watch 50-100 new releases and i've only seen 21 released from 2017), but I really enjoyed Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri, The Shape of Water, Get Out, Thor - Ragnarok, Get Out, Logan, Dunkirk, and The Killing of Sacred Deer

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Anybody here got a 4k TV and movies? I've been playing with the thought, now with the BR2049 4k release increasingly so, to get one but I cant tell how much of a quality jump it is compared to Bluray

PS: Bright was dogshit, as expected

oldlady87

May 13, 2012
Loving Vincent (2017) seems pretty unique. The whole movie is about 130 paintings that he created. They had ~120 artists who spent a lot of time studying his pictures so they would paint 65.000 pictures, so they could make the movie out of those creations.
I watched it today and loved it. It's mind blowing how much time and effort they put into this movie. And the funny thing is that they only spent €5mil..

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I've seen way less movies than usual this year (normally I'd watch 50-100 new releases and i've only seen 21 released from 2017), but I really enjoyed Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri, The Shape of Water, Get Out, Thor - Ragnarok, Logan, Dunkirk, and The Killing of Sacred Deer
:tup:

Check out Taylor Sheridan's Wind River. I think you will enjoy it.

Others from 2017 off the top of my head would be: Ildiko Enyedi's On Body and Soul; Andrei Zvyagintsev's Loveless (Zvyagintsev might be the best director currently making films); John Carroll Lynch's Lucky (Harry Dean Stanton puts in an absolutely masterful performance); Joachim Trier's Thelma; Chris Baugh's Bad Day for the Cut.

I'll make a bigger list of what I think are 2017's best films soon.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
(Zvyagintsev might be the best director currently making films)
Haven't seen Loveless yet but Westerners always overrate Leviathan :disagree: Banishment was great.
PS: I love that it has become common to say 'best director currently making films' or 'best active director' and not 'best living filmmaker' to tiptoe around Godard

I watched it today and loved it. It's mind blowing how much time and effort they put into this movie. And the funny thing is that they only spent €5mil..

wow

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Haven't seen Loveless yet but Westerners always overrate Leviathan :disagree: Banishment was great.
PS: I love that it has become common to say 'best director currently making films' or 'best active director' and not 'best living filmmaker' to tiptoe around Godard

wow
I was actually tiptoeing around Bela Tarr :p

I don't know that it's just Westerners overrating Leviathan. The film won festival awards all around the world. I think it's an excellent film. Just my opinion though. Zvyagintsev hasn't made a mediocre film yet. Elena and The Return were both fantastic films, as is this new one, Loveless.

It's funny that you choose The Banishment. I thought it was good, but weakest of his 5 films thus far. Differing tastes. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Call me by your name was an absolutely beautiful movie (Timothée Chalamet’s performance was flawless). It’s been a great year for movies so far.

Banishment is his best work imo. One of my favorite films ever.
It seems that I need to rewatch Banishment. It has been 10 years now and I only saw it once at a film festival. I recall thinking Konstantin Lavronenko was incredible in the lead role and the cinematography was stunning, but that parts of the film seemed contrived and other parts a bit derivative of past cinematic giants. You and Igor make me think that perhaps I need to watch it again a little closer. Unravel it better. Get into the details. Very Tarkovsky-esque film.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I was actually tiptoeing around Bela Tarr :p

I don't know that it's just Westerners overrating Leviathan. The film won festival awards all around the world. I think it's an excellent film. Just my opinion though. Zvyagintsev hasn't made a mediocre film yet. Elena and The Return were both fantastic films, as is this new one, Loveless.

It's funny that you choose The Banishment. I thought it was good, but weakest of his 5 films thus far. Differing tastes. :)

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that I need to rewatch Banishment. It has been 10 years now and I only saw it once at a film festival. I recall thinking Konstantin Lavronenko was incredible in the lead role and the cinematography was stunning, but that parts of the film seemed contrived and other parts a bit derivative of past cinematic giants. You and Igor make me think that perhaps I need to watch it again a little closer. Unravel it better. Get into the details. Very Tarkovsky-esque film.
I haven’t watched Leviathan but i loved both Elena and The Return (especially the latter). Banishment was so touching and real it hit home with me.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Ok, so I watched a lot of shit movies (mostly) recently. Here's a short list:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - Absolutely horrible. To think how it came out after LOTR makes even more horrible. It felt like they were trying to blend 2-3 different movies together and they just failed at it. The only thing I liked was literally only the music. Very bad otherwise.

Justice League - This, boys and girls, is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. The more super hero movies I see, the less I like them, and apparently the worse they make them. I would happily accept if they stick to the comics only and create animated cartoos only. Movies are just a disaster. This one was so painful that I had to watch it from two parts. There was nothing good at it. Shots were horrible, acting wasn't acting, it's too full of CGI and special effects (way, waaaay too much). Not only that but it had LITERALLY the worse scene that I have ever witnessed: Aquaman on steriods drinking half a bottle of whiskey in 5 seconds with a horrible music in the background and then jumping into the ocean. Holy fucking shit! Even Alfred isn't suited for that role. Flash was just pathetic with his constant joking around, not that it wasn't funny but it was rather embarrassing. Oh and Supermans upper lip with CGI? What a horrible piece of work, wtf :lol: Shortly: A piece of shit.

Proof (2005) - It was a decent idea but John Madden managed to fuck everything up. The lead actress in the movie was beyond pathetic and she didn't fit in. It's one of the cases when director totally ruins the movie. Skip it.

Escape from Alcatraz (1979) - Now... I liked this one! It was good and I enjoyed it. It had Eastwood who was good in it, it had a nice storyline, it was entertaining and just good movie overall. Me likes.

Escape from New York (1981) - I just realized it's another escape movie. Well, it was decent, nothing special really. The one with Eastwood is a lot better movie.

It (2017) - I expected it to be shit but it was actually decent. Entertaining enough to waste your time with it. With kids around it felt like Stranger Things (hell, there's even a kid from it) and it was kinda nostalgic.

The Pianist - Amazing movie, I loved it.

Wind River - It was good, I enjoyed it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll make a bigger list of what I think are 2017's best films soon.
Still waiting for this.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
The Pianist - Amazing movie, I loved it.

In other news, there are like 3 screenings of The Killing Of A Sacred Deer in a 50km radius around my city :lol: Most of them are arthouse movie theatres with like a 50cm TV infront of 10 chairs. And Wind River still hasn't arrived. And Hostiles will arrive fuck knows when. And I couldn't watch BR2049 in an IMAX because they tore down the IMAX in favour of some Primark for turks. Cinema landscape in this country is so damn grim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)