Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (131 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I didn't like it at all. Overrated.

First part of the movie was decent, it had an interesting concept and some good dialogs. However, second part of the movie was pure shit. It had some nostalgic moments and nice music but that's about it. It made no sense and I honestly have no idea how is that one a classic. Maybe a classic mediocre movie if anything. Waste of time.
Hmm, that's surprising. Why didn't you think it made any sense? :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Hmm, that's surprising. Why didn't you think it made any sense? :D
What was there to see? PTSD? Nope. Great acting? Not really? Amazing plot and twists? Nope. Deep layers of dialogs/story? Nope.

There was no point with the president and the connection with that girl was a nonsense. The ending was shit.

Can you at least tell me what made the movie good?

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
What was there to see? PTSD? Nope. Great acting? Not really? Amazing plot and twists? Nope. Deep layers of dialogs/story? Nope.

There was no point with the president and the connection with that girl was a nonsense. The ending was shit.

De Niro being amazing in it?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012

Sure, I'll try. :)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'm in the mood to re-watch it after that post. Been a decade since last. Tho I recall I only thought it's good with amazing acting performance and nothing more.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012

It's not a movie you watch for the plot, no. It's a character study. So to enjoy the movie you have to find the main character fascinating. And you have to, at least to a certain degree, be able to relate to or at least sympathize with his isolation and loneliness. I'm surprised you didn't find De Niro to be impressive. I thought it was quite brilliant how he managed to capture a sociopath without alienating the audience (until towards the end).

There definitely was a point with the presidential candidate. Travis trying to assassinate the senator was his response to Betsy's rejection. Instead of dealing with her rejection like a normal person, he - insane as he is - decides to try to kill the man she's more interested in. What's interesting is that Travis' way of thinking is quite similar when it comes to him killing the pimp. Does he kill the pimp because his heart was in the right place? Not really. Him killing the pimp, too, is a product of his insane behavior. But while him succeeding with killing the senator would have made him a villain in the public eye, he instead ends up being hailed for killing the pimp. To him, though, there wasn't really a big difference between the two assassination attempts.

You also have to look at the film as a product of the Vietnam War. Just like the Vietnam War broke with the image of America as the good guys, Travis behavior breaks with the conventional hero figure in movies. Travis has several of the same character traits as the typical hero figures in westerns. Like western heroes, he's a quiet loner with a gun as his best friend. And like in the westerns, Travis ends up being hailed for his violent behavior. But we learn here that this kind of violence isn't always a product of good intentions. Here it's a product of a disturbed mind.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
De Niro being amazing in it?
He was good but nothing extraordinary.

It's not a movie you watch for the plot, no. It's a character study. So to enjoy the movie you have to find the main character fascinating. And you have to, at least to a certain degree, be able to relate to or at least sympathize with his isolation and loneliness. I'm surprised you didn't find De Niro to be impressive. I thought it was quite brilliant how he managed to capture a sociopath without alienating the audience (until towards the end).

There definitely was a point with the presidential candidate. Travis trying to assassinate the senator was his response to Betsy's rejection. Instead of dealing with her rejection like a normal person, he - insane as he is - decides to try to kill the man she's more interested in. What's interesting is that Travis' way of thinking is quite similar when it comes to him killing the pimp. Does he kill the pimp because his heart was in the right place? Not really. Him killing the pimp, too, is a product of his insane behavior. But while him succeeding with killing the senator would have made him a villain in the public eye, he instead ends up being hailed for killing the pimp. To him, though, there wasn't really a big difference between the two assassination attempts.

You also have to look at the film as a product of the Vietnam War. Just like the Vietnam War broke with the image of America as the good guys, Travis behavior breaks with the conventional hero figure in movies. Travis has several of the same character traits as the typical hero figures in westerns. Like western heroes, he's a quiet loner with a gun as his best friend. And like in the westerns, Travis ends up being hailed for his violent behavior. But we learn here that this kind of violence isn't always a product of good intentions. Here it's a product of a disturbed mind.
This. This is the exact reason why I liked the first part of the movie. I did see it and I did enjoy it. But then again, even that part wasn't brilliant imo, just enjoyable. Everthing else, even that, fell apart as the movie kept moving forward. Second part of the movie was horrible in my books.

Sure, I get what you're saying. I just don't see the movie succeding with that.

But even him getting a new retarded haircut makes it stupid. I couldn't relate to the PTSD part in this movie, it didn't make a cut imo. His character wasn't a full person, he missed peaces, I couldn't see him as a sociopath nor I could see him as an insane person. I see similar people every day here (bar the killing part... although some friends did kill too :D).

I just... man... that is not a good movie. :D I tried to see the bigger picture and I failed to recognize this movie as a great one, let alone a classic. It makes no sense imo. Just a decent movie at best.

Taxi Driver or Nightcrawler? Nightcrawler easily.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
He was good but nothing extraordinary.

This. This is the exact reason why I liked the first part of the movie. I did see it and I did enjoy it. But then again, even that part wasn't brilliant imo, just enjoyable. Everthing else, even that, fell apart as the movie kept moving forward. Second part of the movie was horrible in my books.

Sure, I get what you're saying. I just don't see the movie succeding with that.

But even him getting a new retarded haircut makes it stupid. I couldn't relate to the PTSD part in this movie, it didn't make a cut imo. His character wasn't a full person, he missed peaces, I couldn't see him as a sociopath nor I could see him as an insane person. I see similar people every day here (bar the killing part... although some friends did kill too :D).

I just... man... that is not a good movie. :D I tried to see the bigger picture and I failed to recognize this movie as a great one, let alone a classic. It makes no sense imo. Just a decent movie at best.

Taxi Driver or Nightcrawler? Nightcrawler easily.
I doubt Nightcrawler would have existed without Taxi Driver. I have only watched Nightcrawler once, but while I thought it was a very good film, I didn't think it was as interesting aesthetically. There isn't really anything from it that stuck with me, while Taxi Driver, on the other hand, has countless memorable quotes and shots. And one of the best scores of all time.

(even if the last one is borrowed from Godard)

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the clinical terminology, I'm not saying he's insane. Just that his behavior is insane to us.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Cannes Film Festival 2016 Lineup

Competition
"Toni Erdman," directed by Maren Ade
"Julieta," directed by Pedro Almodovar
"Personal Shopper," directed by Olivier Assayas
"American Honey," directed by Andrea Arnold
"The Unknown Girl," directed by Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne
"It's Only the End of the World," directed by Xavier Dolan
"Slack Bay," directed by Bruno Dumont
"Paterson," directed by Jim Jarmusch
"Rester Vertical," directed by Alain Guiraudie
"Aquarius," directed by Kleber Mendonca Filho
"From the Land of the Moon," directed by Nicole Garcia
"I, Daniel Blake," directed by Ken Loach
"Ma'Rosa," directed by Brillante Mendoza
"Bacalaureat," directed by Cristian Mungiu
"Loving," directed by Jeff Nichols
"Agassi," directed by Park Chan-Wook
"The Last Face," directed by Sean Penn
"Sieranevada," directed by Cristi Puiu
"Elle," directed by Paul Verhoeven
"The Neon Demon," directed by Nicolas Winding Refn

Un Certain Regard
"Varoonegi," directed by Behnam Behzadi
"Apprentice," directed by Boo Junking
"Voir du Pays," directed by Delphine Coulin and Muriel Coulin
"La Danseuse," directed by Stephanie di Giusto
"Clash," directed by Mohamed Diab
"La Tortue Rouge," directed by Michael Dubok de Wit
"Fuchi Bi Tatsu," directed by Fukada Koji
"Omar Shakhsiya," directed by Maha Haj
"Me’Ever Laharim Vehagvaot," directed by Eran Kolirin
"After The Storm," directed by Kore-Eda Hirokazu
"Hymyileva Mies," directed by Juho Kuosmanen
"La Large Noche de Francisco Sanctis," directed by Francisco Marquez and Andrea Testa
"Caini," directed by Bogdan Mirica
"Pericle Il Nero," directed by Stefano Mordini
"Captain Fantastic," directed by Matt Ross
"The Transfiguration," directed by Michael O'Shea
"Uchenik," directed by Kirill Serebrennikov

Out of Competition
"Cafe Society," directed by Woody Allen
"The BFG," directed by Steven Spielberg
"Goksung," directed by Na Hong-Jin
"Money Monster," directed by Jodie Foster
"The Nice Guys," directed by Shane Black

Special Screenings
'L'ultima Spiaggia," directed by Thanos Anastopoulous and Davide del Degan
"A Chad Tragedy," directed by Mahamat-Saleh Haroun
"The Death of Louis XIV," directed by Albert Serra
"Le Cancre," directed by Paul Vecchiali

Midnight Screenings
"Gimme Danger," directed by Jim Jarmusch
"The Train to Busan," directed by Yeon Sang-Ho

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Cannes Film Festival 2016 Lineup

Competition
"Toni Erdman," directed by Maren Ade
"Julieta," directed by Pedro Almodovar
"Personal Shopper," directed by Olivier Assayas
"American Honey," directed by Andrea Arnold
"The Unknown Girl," directed by Jean-Pierre Dardenne and Luc Dardenne
"It's Only the End of the World," directed by Xavier Dolan
"Slack Bay," directed by Bruno Dumont
"Paterson," directed by Jim Jarmusch
"Rester Vertical," directed by Alain Guiraudie
"Aquarius," directed by Kleber Mendonca Filho
"From the Land of the Moon," directed by Nicole Garcia
"I, Daniel Blake," directed by Ken Loach
"Ma'Rosa," directed by Brillante Mendoza
"Bacalaureat," directed by Cristian Mungiu
"Loving," directed by Jeff Nichols
"Agassi," directed by Park Chan-Wook
"The Last Face," directed by Sean Penn
"Sieranevada," directed by Cristi Puiu
"Elle," directed by Paul Verhoeven
"The Neon Demon," directed by Nicolas Winding Refn

Un Certain Regard
"Varoonegi," directed by Behnam Behzadi
"Apprentice," directed by Boo Junking
"Voir du Pays," directed by Delphine Coulin and Muriel Coulin
"La Danseuse," directed by Stephanie di Giusto
"Clash," directed by Mohamed Diab
"La Tortue Rouge," directed by Michael Dubok de Wit
"Fuchi Bi Tatsu," directed by Fukada Koji
"Omar Shakhsiya," directed by Maha Haj
"Me’Ever Laharim Vehagvaot," directed by Eran Kolirin
"After The Storm," directed by Kore-Eda Hirokazu
"Hymyileva Mies," directed by Juho Kuosmanen
"La Large Noche de Francisco Sanctis," directed by Francisco Marquez and Andrea Testa
"Caini," directed by Bogdan Mirica
"Pericle Il Nero," directed by Stefano Mordini
"Captain Fantastic," directed by Matt Ross
"The Transfiguration," directed by Michael O'Shea
"Uchenik," directed by Kirill Serebrennikov

Out of Competition
"Cafe Society," directed by Woody Allen
"The BFG," directed by Steven Spielberg
"Goksung," directed by Na Hong-Jin
"Money Monster," directed by Jodie Foster
"The Nice Guys," directed by Shane Black

Special Screenings
'L'ultima Spiaggia," directed by Thanos Anastopoulous and Davide del Degan
"A Chad Tragedy," directed by Mahamat-Saleh Haroun
"The Death of Louis XIV," directed by Albert Serra
"Le Cancre," directed by Paul Vecchiali

Midnight Screenings
"Gimme Danger," directed by Jim Jarmusch
"The Train to Busan," directed by Yeon Sang-Ho
Is that you, Post Ironic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 125)