MLS 2020-21 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

@Hustini @Enron @KB824

Interesting clip that makes some points I didnt know about, I thought football was fairly same everywhere, that its widely grown to its popularity exactly because its so excessible to EVERYONE. But the US set up is so that its basically like what Tennis is like rest of the world? (unless you are well off, dont bother, or Hockey that requires so much equipment etc) More of a richer sport with semi- paywall? 3500 bucks to play in random youth teams? The hell?

You not gonna go anywhere with that set up. Discouraging your talent pool. No wonder your growth is bit stunted a little bit. Ofcourse its also because lack of popularity, and several other big sports, but still. This is a key stumbling block. Football is a sport for all classes, or should be, the pathway from your neighbourhood court to the higher levels should be fairly straight forward if you have the talent. Playing any sports in serious level is never free, takes dedication and some funds, but shouldnt be substantial pay to play exclusive sport. Its an organic sport that should be grown pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005

@Hustini @Enron @KB824

Interesting clip that makes some points I didnt know about, I thought football was fairly same everywhere, that its widely grown to its popularity exactly because its so excessible to EVERYONE. But the US set up is so that its basically like what Tennis is like rest of the world? (unless you are well off, dont bother, or Hockey that requires so much equipment etc) More of a richer sport with semi- paywall? 3500 bucks to play in random youth teams? The hell?

You not gonna go anywhere with that set up. Discouraging your talent pool. No wonder your growth is bit stunted a little bit. Ofcourse its also because lack of popularity, and several other big sports, but still. This is a key stumbling block. Football is a sport for all classes, or should be, the pathway from your neighbourhood court to the higher levels should be fairly straight forward if you have the talent. Playing any sports in serious level is never free, takes dedication and some funds, but shouldnt be substantial pay to play exclusive sport. Its an organic sport that should be grown pretty straight forward.
When I grew up playing if I wanted to play competitively for a club I had to drive to Cleveland (1.5 hours) to play, which I did, usually 3 times a week on average. Smaller towns around the US have always put an emphasis on baseball, football, basketball.

I agree, it was expensive especially factoring in gas for years to play in a bigger city. I recall most of the kids that I played with in Cleveland came from an affluent family. I promised my dad that if he paid the costs I’d get a scholarship for college (which I did) so it was a risk but paid off. But also in bigger cities you had a lot of families from eastern or Southern Europe, especially in Cleveland a large Serbian and Italian population.

it was fun, but came at an expense for my parents but later paid off.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The membership fees for the youth soccer associations can be downright ridiculous at times, even for my 4 year old.

And to get your child into one of these is akin to the Cabbage Patch Kids craze of the 1980's

Yes, I understand that you guys weren't around for that, but fucking look it up :lol:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

@Hustini @Enron @KB824

it’s a rich kids sport, or at least middle class. which is why our national team sucks, like klinnsman said, Americans play for scholarships while the rest of the world plays for a better life

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

@Hustini @Enron @KB824

"Pay to play" we call it. It's talked about a lot here but nothing gets done because money talks louder than anythign else in this country. But our issues are more than that, quite honestly. An overall pervasive attitude of arrogance, similar "pay to play" with coaching, mismanagement, overall popularity, etc. It goes pretty deep.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I love Austin but like other boom towns who suddenly have a sports team out of nowhere they are bound to produce some cringe crap.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of MLS Inter Miami has started their debut season with 6 straight losses. They are doomed with that name.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)