Medhi Benatia (15 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
No it isn't. Vasquez would have scored. Simple as that.

Can't fault him for making a challenge there.
Very few defenders would have been able to get out of that with that kind of challenge...Nesta/Canna come to mind, always silky/sneaky.

Tough look for Medhi though, I think he had the ball but the contact was too much.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
:agree: Mad respect. It took balls to make that challenge, and some refs wouldn't have even whistled for the PK. However, it's @ The Bernabeu against Madrid, and we all know what that means. Gutsy challenge, and it had to be made.

Cuntish British ref should go back to rainy Somerset and retire.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
No it isn't. Vasquez would have scored. Simple as that.

Can't fault him for making a challenge there.
Of course Benatia couldn't have possibly known that, but Vasquez was scared shitless at that point, no way he'd have scored, he was going down the moment he felt Benatia's breath in his neck. Guy just got lucky that ref bought his fall out of nowhere

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Benatia was furious after the game when talked to Mediaset: “We are sad, because we played the game we wanted to and last year the same thing happened to Bayern Munich.

Madrid are a great side, but every time there is a challenge, they get the decision and Cristiano Ronaldo scores.

“I went around Vazquez and got the ball. He just went down because he had nothing else to do at that point. You can see the ball bounce off my foot and change direction. Going out to a penalty like that is absurd.

“We are the victims of this situation, but we’re very proud of what we did tonight.”

Benatia added: "I'm proud of the team. But I am more disappointed with the world of football all the time. When you make such a huge effort, to concede a penalty in the 93rd minute like that..."

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.sport-english.com/en/ne...th-the-world-of-football-all-the-time-6752006

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Of course Benatia couldn't have possibly known that, but Vasquez was scared shitless at that point, no way he'd have scored, he was going down the moment he felt Benatia's breath in his neck. Guy just got lucky that ref bought his fall out of nowhere
I dont know why you would assume he was scared shitless or that it would cause him to misd an open goal. Hes not a 17 y/o making his pro debut

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Instead of judging it by looking at a still, watch a vid, you might change your opinion.
To me it looks like Benatia hit him in the chest with his boot, but again after seeing it 40+ times I still cant see if its a penalty or not. Its given and some says it was clear as daylight others that there was no contact - well I guess its something in the middle, a 50-50 and it turned out to Reals favour.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I dont know why you would assume he was scared shitless or that it would cause him to misd an open goal. Hes not a 17 y/o making his pro debut

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Look at him, he practically froze when Ronaldo passed him the ball. Of course if the chest control was flawless he'd have scored it, but to me it certainly looked like he's going to miss that one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)