Medhi Benatia (61 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Experience is important, but what made the BBC truly fearsome is their co-ordination and understanding as a unit, in a 3 man defensive line. I'm not sure the current Barzagli, Chiellini, or Benatia are better than Rugani. I feel the better player should play, and at this point, it is Rugani. He is quicker, his positioning is impeccable, great timing, aerial prowess, and solid anticipation.
You may be right about Rugani being the quicker and better defender at this point (although it's definitely not a big difference in my eyes), but BBC have several top top level matches behind them and Rugani has none, we've no idea how he'd fare with the pressure and I don't think this is a good moment to find out. NBA is a good example, it's often the case that the same players put up completely different numbers in regular season and playoff matches. Besides, while we may be aware of Rugani's fast growth, most of the other players fear BBC way more than someone like Rugani, Muriel's recent interview is a good example:

My first game? It was with Lecce in 2012, we lost at home. They had [Andrea] Barzagli, [Leonardo] Bonucci and [Giorgio] Chiellini, they’re still there. They’re the pillars of the team, true examples on the pitch who push everyone to want more. They’re the secret to Juventus’ success. The toughest? Barzagli, he’s fast, technical and really good in one-on-ones.

I bet that's how most of the attackers feel about BBC before a game against Juve. Not sure it's the case against Rugani.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
CL experience is crucial tho.
Yes and no. When age catches up to you, and your legs can't do what your brain wants them to, then you become a liability.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be right about Rugani being the quicker and better defender at this point (although it's definitely not a big difference in my eyes), but BBC have several top top level matches behind them and Rugani has none, we've no idea how he'd fare with the pressure and I don't think this is a good moment to find out. NBA is a good example, it's often the case that the same players put up completely different numbers in regular season and playoff matches. Besides, while we may be aware of Rugani's fast growth, most of the other players fear BBC way more than someone like Rugani, Muriel's recent interview is a good example:

My first game? It was with Lecce in 2012, we lost at home. They had [Andrea] Barzagli, [Leonardo] Bonucci and [Giorgio] Chiellini, they’re still there. They’re the pillars of the team, true examples on the pitch who push everyone to want more. They’re the secret to Juventus’ success. The toughest? Barzagli, he’s fast, technical and really good in one-on-ones.

I bet that's how most of the attackers feel about BBC before a game against Juve. Not sure it's the case against Rugani.
I understand what you are saying, but look at Dirk Nowitzki and Vince Carter. Both were great players in their prime, but they won't be willing their teams to victory come playoff time, because they simply aren't good enough to do that anymore. Sometimes youthful exuberance and hunger trumps experience. I know who I'd rather start in a 2 man defense against Barca. However, if we revert back to a 3 man backline, we should most definitely stick with the BBC.

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
Yes and no. When age catches up to you, and your legs can't do what your brain wants them to, then you become a liability.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what you are saying, but look at Dirk Nowitzki and Vince Carter. Both were great players in their prime, but they won't be willing their teams to victory come playoff time, because they simply aren't good enough to do that anymore. Sometimes youthful exuberance and hunger trumps experience. I know who I'd rather start in a 2 man defense against Barca. However, if we revert back to a 3 man backline, we should most definitely stick with the BBC.
Right. I can see the 5-3-2 formation happening if we happen to lead on aggregate at any point of time.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Its a difficult situation... mostly because i dont know how rugani will act against this 3 monsters in a do or die top level clash.

Like someone said.. i dont know if its worth the gamble to find out.

On the other hand..physically IMO he is ready to face anyone.... but experience matters too. Lets hope Allegri figures

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Don't sign Benatia. Good player but we have a bunch of injury prone defenders already. Why splash so much cash for another one that is also aging.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yeh, im against this. Great player but he is unreliable. He will cost a lot of money taking in consideration his injuries. IMO is not a great signing... because the moment he gets tickled by anything and injures..we will rage for sure.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Don't sign Benatia. Good player but we have a bunch of injury prone defenders already. Why splash so much cash for another one that is also aging.
he's 30, and if you consider barza still being at his best last season, benatia might easily have an other 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. benatia is class on his better days, speaks perfect italian, he's happy at juve, and also 17m for a very good central defender is chips on today's market. with this move, and knowing that we have caldara, lirola and spinazzola in the bag, our defense will be solid for the next couple of seasons.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Still, if he's unavailable 6/7 days, why not have some more reliable defender? I agree he's good, no doubt. But a backup that needs a backup is...

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
he's 30, and if you consider barza still being at his best last season, benatia might easily have an other 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. benatia is class on his better days, speaks perfect italian, he's happy at juve, and also 17m for a very good central defender is chips on today's market. with this move, and knowing that we have caldara, lirola and spinazzola in the bag, our defense will be solid for the next couple of seasons
The problem is not his skill or age. Those are fine.

The problem is that bayern wants to get rid of him for the same reasons we are struggling to play him right now, injury prone.

Its a gamble to buy him, an expensive one which doesnt look in favour of us, because its clear he cant stay fit

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Are we struggling to play him? Problem been too many CBs more then injured too often so far. It's only this latest injury that have been a hassle, otherwise he generally been available but have not started much due to abundance of quality CBs.

Both Chiellini and Barzagli been more injured then him.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I hope that after this game, the board finally make their minds and we dodge this bullet.

He is an expensive waste of money. Give Rugani a go and forget about benati aplz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 61)