Medhi Benatia (17 Viewers)

Apr 29, 2006
icemaη;5488966 said:
If buying him keeps Rugani on the bench, then I think we should pass as well.
Exactly. We have enough experience and unless we are selling a defender or someone is retiring Benatia is an expensive luxury. I am not even taking his last performance in mind - he is a good defender, but not special. We have people like Caldara waiting in the wings and he will be here in 13 months maximum. I am not even sure Barzagli is going to retire with Buffon in 2018 when he would be 37 ffs.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Rugani isn't gonna be on the bench much longer, he knows that. Benatia should be a must by for a club that has a history of having a stacked backline and that appears to be forging itself in 3 competitions annually that would mean depth is a must.

Calm down people.

- - - Updated - - -

Barzagli practically has one foot in the football grave.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
remember how everyone was throwing Rugani under the bus after our 3-0 loss to inter in last years Coppa? now people say stuff like hes our best defender
To be honest Rugani has developed an awfull lot since then. Benatia is a good defender, but he is injury prone and if we plan to stick with a back four as our main formation next year there is no need to waste 18m on a 5th CB. 4 is more than enough CB. In 2018 Caldara will come and replace Barza. We already have Rugani, who hardly gets playing time despite injuries for Barza, Giorgio, BonBon and Benatia.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
To be honest Rugani has developed an awfull lot since then. Benatia is a good defender, but he is injury prone and if we plan to stick with a back four as our main formation next year there is no need to waste 18m on a 5th CB. 4 is more than enough CB. In 2018 Caldara will come and replace Barza. We already have Rugani, who hardly gets playing time despite injuries for Barza, Giorgio, BonBon and Benatia.
:agree: look at the current state of our attackers. We have four positions to fill up and nowhere near enough players there so an injury to pjaca and we are in crisis mode with no ability to rotate other playing fucking sturaro up there. If the plan is to switch back to a 3 CB formation then by all means benatia for 18mil is a steal but with the 4-2-3-1 he is a luxury 5th CB who simply is not needed.

buy at least 2 attacking players first. If theres left over $ then sure why the fuck not

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
:agree: look at the current state of our attackers. We have four positions to fill up and nowhere near enough players there so an injury to pjaca and we are in crisis mode with no ability to rotate other playing $#@!ing sturaro up there. If the plan is to switch back to a 3 CB formation then by all means benatia for 18mil is a steal but with the 4-2-3-1 he is a luxury 5th CB who simply is not needed.

buy at least 2 attacking players first. If theres left over $ then sure why the $#@! not
:tup:

Give us a discount and ill gadly agree. 18 mils for a crippled 30 years old is stupid.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Rugani isn't gonna be on the bench much longer, he knows that. Benatia should be a must by for a club that has a history of having a stacked backline and that appears to be forging itself in 3 competitions annually that would mean depth is a must.

Calm down people.

- - - Updated - - -

Barzagli practically has one foot in the football grave.
:rofl: Harsh Broski :D

Kopanja

Jul 30, 2015
Starting next season with ony 4 CBs with our injury record and couple of enemy agents in fitness department would be a big mistake. We need 5 of them, and Caldara will come only in 2018.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
So you'd start next season with 4 CBs? Or get another one for less than 18M who is also better than Benatia?
Starting with 4 CB's or 5 should depend on whether or not we'll stick with the 4- man backline.

I just think that 18 million is an awful lot of money for an average defender. But I obviously don't know the price of every other defender.
Not to mention that Benatia is a fairly big earner as well.

The entire discussion is moot anyways. As much as I dislike it, Marotta has repeatedly stated that Benatia will be signed come the end of the season.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I don't see the argument for signing Benatia because of all our injuries, when is the most injury prone player we have. A back up has to be ready and reliable. We cannot count on Benatia if he is so often injured. It would be fine if it was a cheap gamble, but 18m? no.

Starting with 4 CBs is more than fine for a back 4. No club in the world has 4 quality CBs like we do. Look at the bench options of every big club.

If we want a 5th CB then for me it would make all the sense in the world to go for Gonzalo Rodriguez who is a veteran, reliable and will be a free agent in the summer. There's an opportunity for Marotta.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly, what defender can we buy for less than 18mln? Stendardo?
Literally almost every defender can be bought for less than 18m. Benatia would cost us a total of 21m, that will be the most we will have ever paid for a CB, and he would be our 5th CB.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I don't see the argument for signing Benatia because of all our injuries, when is the most injury prone player we have. A back up has to be ready and reliable. We cannot count on Benatia if he is so often injured. It would be fine if it was a cheap gamble, but 18m? no.

Starting with 4 CBs is more than fine for a back 4. No club in the world has 4 quality CBs like we do. Look at the bench options of every big club.

If we want a 5th CB then for me it would make all the sense in the world to go for Gonzalo Rodriguez who is a veteran, reliable and will be a free agent in the summer. There's an opportunity for Marotta.

- - - Updated - - -

Literally almost every defender can be bought for less than 18m. Benatia would cost us a total of 21m, that will be the most we will have ever paid for a CB, and he would be our 5th CB.
nah, just take a look at Chelsea's summer trying to buy every big name CB there is in Serie A and going for 30m David Luiz in the end, 18m is cheap nowadays whether it's for a quality defender or midfielder. I'm just not sure Benatia is still the quality CB he was at Roma, he's been a shadow of his former self past few years

The Quazis

Dec 21, 2012

- - - Updated - - -

Your whole post makes very little sense. You call Benatia our most injury prone player which is simply untrue. You wrote we can buy any defender in the world for less than 18mln which is also laughable. I wouldn't call Benatia 5th CB as Chiellini and Barzagli miss a lot of games. Bonnucci and Rugani have also been injured this season. Adding the fact that defenders tend to receive more cards than other positions on the field gives you an answer why we need Benatia.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Your whole post makes very little sense. You call Benatia our most injury prone player which is simply untrue. You wrote we can buy any defender in the world for less than 18mln which is also laughable. I wouldn't call Benatia 5th CB as Chiellini and Barzagli miss a lot of games. Bonnucci and Rugani have also been injured this season. Adding the fact that defenders tend to receive more cards than other positions on the field gives you an answer why we need Benatia.
Lets see.

"You call Benatia our most injury prone player which is simply untrue"
Yes it is true. Benatia's career has been plagued by injuries.

"You wrote we can buy any defender in the world for less than 18mln which is also laughable"
No its not laughable, its true, and I said almost. We pretty much never paid that much for a CB. We signed Caldara this year for less, Rugani for less, Ogbonna for less, Barzagli for less, Caceres for less, Chiellini for less, etc, etc, etc.

"I wouldn't call Benatia 5th CB as Chiellini and Barzagli miss a lot of games. Bonnucci and Rugani have also been injured this season"
That doesn't mean he is not our 5th CB.

What's the point?

- - - Updated - - -

nah, just take a look at Chelsea's summer trying to buy every big name CB there is in Serie A and going for 30m David Luiz in the end, 18m is cheap nowadays whether it's for a quality defender or midfielder. I'm just not sure Benatia is still the quality CB he was at Roma, he's been a shadow of his former self past few years
But we are not Chelsea. We don't behave like them in the transfer market (and shouldn't). The tried to sign established CBs from the top teams, when is the last time we did that? we are not gonna sign Koulibaly or Manolas. Specially not for depth. If its not gonna even be our first sub, let alone second sub, then 18m is too much.

We signed Caldara and Rugani for something like 20m total. Barzagli almost free. Chiellini and Bonucci relatively cheap. Caceres and Peluso cheap. These are the kind of deals we need to fill in the gaps, not to blow a big part of our budget.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)