Massimo Carrera (9 Viewers)

May 6, 2017
How is he thought of in Russia?
I'm a new one here, but hopefully you won't mind if I answer your question as I am a big Spartak Moscow fan.

First, there are some people who are skeptical of Carrera. Mostly they are either former Spartak players or old school Russian coaches. There are a few reasons for this skepticism:

1) Some of these people think that the traditional way of playing football at Spartak is similar to tiki-taka, while Carrera is more of a pragmatic guy, so they don't like that Spartak is "too boring" and wins 1:0 too often.

2) They are envious because Massimo is about to achieve something that no Russian coach has achieved in last 15 years (and many of these Russian coaches were famous former Spartak players, e.g. Dmitry Alenichev). Thus, they pretend that Carrera hasn't done anything special, everything was done by the previous coach, and he is just very lucky (note that we finished 5th last year, 15 points behind the 1st place).

3) They cannot understand Carrera's tactics, because a traditional way of coaching in Russia is to stick to one formation and use it all the time, while Massimo uses 5 or 6 different formations and switches between them seamlessly (both from game to game and within a single game). And because they cannot understand Carrera's tactics, they tend to say that Spartak is not well-organized.

Now, leaving this small but loud group of people aside, everyone else at Spartak and around Spartak absolutely loves Carrera.

Players love him because a) he is a great tactician who is able to find and exploit weaknesses of his opponents; b) he is a great motivator; c) he is fair (in the sense that he does not have any "personal favorites" who always play, as some of our previous coaches did; whoever does best in training tends to be in the starting 11). As a result, as Carrera said after the derby against CSKA, "Spartak has become a team. But before becoming a team, we have become a family". Before he became a head coach, we hadn't been a family for many, many years.

Our fans absolutely love him not only because of the results or this family feeling, but also because of his passion and behavior in general. He respects the club he works at; he is always friendly with the fans; he never complains about refereeing during hiss press-conferences (something many Russian coaches do very frequently); he never blames his players in public (though he is very demanding and can give them a hairdryer treatment behind closed doors when they deserve it).

All in all, it has been an amazing turnaround for Spartak. We finished 4th, 6th, 6th, and 5th in four previous seasons; no current Spartak player has ever won Russian league; only 4 players have ever won league titles (1 in Germany, 1 in Bulgaria, 2 in Ukraine). One year ago we thought that we have a terrible team, but now we are only 1 point away from the title with 3 matches to play. As a result, our home attendance increased from around 25,000 in last two seasons to around 32,000 this season. Fans vote with their feet, so probably this is the best indicator of how much Spartak has improved under Carrera.

Massimo has already become a hero for the fans. I've heard stories of some Spartak fans who started learning Italian because they wanted to understand Carrera without an interpreter; some Spartak-themed websites have translated articles about Coverciano to Russian because people want to learn as much as possible about Carrera and his training as a manager; users of another website, a very popular Spartak forum, are seriously discussing the possibility of giving the traditional player of the season award to Carrera instead of giving it to any of the players.

Sorry, I know this is already way too long for a forum post, but I just cannot praise Carrera highly enough. We have not won the league since 2001 and any title since 2003, when we won the cup, which is the longest title wait in Spartak club history. If Carrera ends this wait, he will become a true club legend at Spartak.

The only thing our fans don't like about Carrera is that they are afraid that Juventus, or another big European club, will eventually steal him from us :smile:

Buy on AliExpress.com

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Massimo has already become a hero for the fans. I've heard stories of some Spartak fans who started learning Italian because they wanted to understand Carrera without an interpreter; some Spartak-themed websites have translated articles about Coverciano to Russian because people want to learn as much as possible about Carrera and his training as a manager;
That was a fantastic post and thank you for this wonderful insight into carrera.

How big are spartak's fanbase compared to the other clubs in Russia?

Probably it goes without saying, but do you think a lot of spartak fans will now chose Juve as their second team?

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I'm a new one here, but hopefully you won't mind if I answer your question as I am a big Spartak Moscow fan.

First, there are some people who are skeptical of Carrera. Mostly they are either former Spartak players or old school Russian coaches. There are a few reasons for this skepticism:

1) Some of these people think that the traditional way of playing football at Spartak is similar to tiki-taka, while Carrera is more of a pragmatic guy, so they don't like that Spartak is "too boring" and wins 1:0 too often.

2) They are envious because Massimo is about to achieve something that no Russian coach has achieved in last 15 years (and many of these Russian coaches were famous former Spartak players, e.g. Dmitry Alenichev). Thus, they pretend that Carrera hasn't done anything special, everything was done by the previous coach, and he is just very lucky (note that we finished 5th last year, 15 points behind the 1st place).

3) They cannot understand Carrera's tactics, because a traditional way of coaching in Russia is to stick to one formation and use it all the time, while Massimo uses 5 or 6 different formations and switches between them seamlessly (both from game to game and within a single game). And because they cannot understand Carrera's tactics, they tend to say that Spartak is not well-organized.

Now, leaving this small but loud group of people aside, everyone else at Spartak and around Spartak absolutely loves Carrera.

Players love him because a) he is a great tactician who is able to find and exploit weaknesses of his opponents; b) he is a great motivator; c) he is fair (in the sense that he does not have any "personal favorites" who always play, as some of our previous coaches did; whoever does best in training tends to be in the starting 11). As a result, as Carrera said after the derby against CSKA, "Spartak has become a team. But before becoming a team, we have become a family". Before he became a head coach, we hadn't been a family for many, many years.

Our fans absolutely love him not only because of the results or this family feeling, but also because of his passion and behavior in general. He respects the club he works at; he is always friendly with the fans; he never complains about refereeing during hiss press-conferences (something many Russian coaches do very frequently); he never blames his players in public (though he is very demanding and can give them a hairdryer treatment behind closed doors when they deserve it).

All in all, it has been an amazing turnaround for Spartak. We finished 4th, 6th, 6th, and 5th in four previous seasons; no current Spartak player has ever won Russian league; only 4 players have ever won league titles (1 in Germany, 1 in Bulgaria, 2 in Ukraine). One year ago we thought that we have a terrible team, but now we are only 1 point away from the title with 3 matches to play. As a result, our home attendance increased from around 25,000 in last two seasons to around 32,000 this season. Fans vote with their feet, so probably this is the best indicator of how much Spartak has improved under Carrera.

Massimo has already become a hero for the fans. I've heard stories of some Spartak fans who started learning Italian because they wanted to understand Carrera without an interpreter; some Spartak-themed websites have translated articles about Coverciano to Russian because people want to learn as much as possible about Carrera and his training as a manager; users of another website, a very popular Spartak forum, are seriously discussing the possibility of giving the traditional player of the season award to Carrera instead of giving it to any of the players.

Sorry, I know this is already way too long for a forum post, but I just cannot praise Carrera highly enough. We have not won the league since 2001 and any title since 2003, when we won the cup, which is the longest title wait in Spartak club history. If Carrera ends this wait, he will become a true club legend at Spartak.

The only thing our fans don't like about Carrera is that they are afraid that Juventus, or another big European club, will eventually steal him from us :smile:
You're more than welcome in here with all that info, thanks!

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

How do you rate his substitutions?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Great response and welcome @ivan-spartakfan

I suppose there is always the danger that other teams will chase your coach when your team is doing very well. It would be nice to see Carrera become an elite-level coach and maybe even coach Juve one day, but having read your post here's hoping that he stays at Spartak for a while yet :tup:

Growing up Spartak were always the leading Russian team and they seem to have fallen firstly behind CSKA and Lokomotiv and then more recently Zenit on a domestic level. Players like Beschastnykh (ok I had to Google how to spell this), Alenichev, Titov and Mitreski spring to mind when I think of Spartak from 15 years ago. Congrats on the (inevitable) title win :tup:

Epic

Jan 7, 2013

From your description he is very similar to Allegri.

May 6, 2017
That was a fantastic post and thank you for this wonderful insight into carrera.

How big are spartak's fanbase compared to the other clubs in Russia?

Probably it goes without saying, but do you think a lot of spartak fans will now chose Juve as their second team?
Well, there is currently a debate on this topic, with Zenit claiming that they have become the most popular club in Russia. But traditionally, Spartak is thought to have the largest fanbase in Russia. Spartak is often called "the people's club" due to our popularity, and our support is spread across the entire country. It's not unusual to have several thousand traveling Spartak supporters at away games, and our home attendance is 14,000 higher (32,000 vs 18,000) than the second-highest in the league. Overall, I think that in terms of popularity Spartak in Russia is comparable to Juventus in Italy or Manchester United in England (though, obviously, we don't nave a huge fanbase abroad).

As for choosing Juve as their second team, I feel that most Spartak fans (and Russian fans in general) already have a second team, because Russian clubs typically don't do well in the Champions league while football fans in Russia watch the CL and want to support someone. For instance, Man Utd have been my second team for over 20 years now. Probably our fans won't change their second teams only because of Carrera, but I definitely feel that a lot of our fans have started following Juve (and Chelsea, because of Conte) much more closely.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you rate his substitutions?
I'd say that he is the best coach in our league in terms of his in-game decisions (both substitutions and tactical changes). Two examples:

1) When we played Zenit (the richest club in Russia and the main title contenders this season along with CSKA and Spartak) at home a few weeks ago, we were 1:0 up at half-time, but in the beginning of the second half Zenit started playing better scored the equalizer. Carrera made two substitutions in the attacking group, and the players who came on as subs helped us win the game 2:1 (one of them scored while the other one made a key pass in the attack when we scored).

2) When we played CSKA (our main rivals) away last weekend, we were 1:1 at half-time, with CSKA right wing back (in the 3-5-2 formation) outplaying our left fullback (in the 4-2-3-1 formation). Carrera substituted a striker at half-time, and the guy who came on was our best player in the second half. But more importantly, Massimo switched to the 4-4-2 formation (which often became 6-2-2 when defending). As a result, we neutralized the CSKA right wing back and did not allow them to create a single goal scoring chance in the second half. We ended up winning the game 2:1.

I should mention, however, that we do have troubles with coming from behind when we concede first. Out of 6 games when we conceded first, we won 1, tied 1, and lost 4. But a few things to note here:

a) We scored first in 21 games out of 27, and won 19 out of them.

b) In our two worst defeats of the season (0:4 at Krylia Sovetov and 0:3 at Rostov), all of our big strikers were out with injuries. It's very difficult to play against teams who park the bus when you don't have any big strikers who are good in the penalty box.

c) Spartak has been prone to such bad games for many, many years, and probably it's impossible to solve this issue completely in just one year. What's much more important is our ability to bounce back after defeats. After losing to Krylia Sovetov, we had 5 wins and 2 draws in 7 games. After losing to Rostov, we have now won three games in a row.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Well, there is currently a debate on this topic, with Zenit claiming that they have become the most popular club in Russia. But traditionally, Spartak is thought to have the largest fanbase in Russia. Spartak is often called "the people's club" due to our popularity, and our support is spread across the entire country. It's not unusual to have several thousand traveling Spartak supporters at away games, and our home attendance is 14,000 higher (32,000 vs 18,000) than the second-highest in the league. Overall, I think that in terms of popularity Spartak in Russia is comparable to Juventus in Italy or Manchester United in England (though, obviously, we don't nave a huge fanbase abroad).

As for choosing Juve as their second team, I feel that most Spartak fans (and Russian fans in general) already have a second team, because Russian clubs typically don't do well in the Champions league while football fans in Russia watch the CL and want to support someone. For instance, Man Utd have been my second team for over 20 years now. Probably our fans won't change their second teams only because of Carrera, but I definitely feel that a lot of our fans have started following Juve (and Chelsea, because of Conte) much more closely.
:tup: but you might have to change your second team.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Carrera on his no-show at post match conf: "I was hungry & the Turin derby was on"

Carrera: "I used everything Conte taught me, it is for me the best coach in the world"

[video=twitter;861356372205719553]https://twitter.com/confortistefano/status/861356372205719553[/video]

:touched: :flag1:

Congratulations! @ivan-spartakfan

- - - Updated - - -

'Spartak triumph unbelievable’
By Football Italia staff

Massimo Carrera tells the story of Spartak Moscow’s “unbelievable” Russian Premier League triumph.

The former Juventus assistant took over the job in August, and yesterday his side officially secured their first title since 2001.

“It’s unbelievable, but yet here I am to recount this ride,” Carrera said in an interview with Tuttomercatoweb.

“I burst into tears of emotion, it was something indescribable. It was the liberation of a full year of great suffering, lived at 1000 kilometres per hour.

“I tried to make my players understand right away what I wanted, and I was lucky enough to find a group which followed me right away.

“They awakened the enthusiasm of the fans, and of course we’re talking about a team which hadn’t won the title for 16 years.

“This team always fought, apart from a spell of two or three games where there was a drop in tension, but that can happen in football.

“It’s very difficult here because of the pressure, Spartak are considered to be the Juve of Russia. It’s a team with a lot of fans, and there are a lot of expectations.

“As far as I was concerned, I didn’t have much to do with the outside environment. I read maybe one per cent of what the newspapers wrote.

“Antonio Conte? Last night he called me to congratulate me, now they [Chelsea] are close to the end and I wish him the best.”

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Great response and welcome @ivan-spartakfan

I suppose there is always the danger that other teams will chase your coach when your team is doing very well. It would be nice to see Carrera become an elite-level coach and maybe even coach Juve one day, but having read your post here's hoping that he stays at Spartak for a while yet :tup:

Growing up Spartak were always the leading Russian team and they seem to have fallen firstly behind CSKA and Lokomotiv and then more recently Zenit on a domestic level. Players like Beschastnykh (ok I had to Google how to spell this), Alenichev, Titov and Mitreski spring to mind when I think of Spartak from 15 years ago. Congrats on the (inevitable) title win :tup:
Titov especially was quite memorable player. 2nd most memorable russian after Mostovoi at the time.

May 6, 2017
:tup: but you might have to change your second team.
Well, I'm already rooting for Juve in the Champions League. My best friend in Russia is a big Juventus fan, and I greatly admire Gigi and want him to finally win the Champions League because I play recreationally as a goalkeeper myself.

Carrera on his no-show at post match conf: "I was hungry & the Turin derby was on"
Well, I think that he did not talk to the media after the game because he was visibly disappointed by Spartak's performance, despite the fact that the win over Tom' brought us within one point from the title (we didn't know that Zenit would lose points the next day). The fact that he was so disappointed after his team almost guaranteed the title suggests that he is incredibly demanding and competitive. Winning the league is not enough for him; he already thinks about the doing well in the Champions League next season. I think this embodies the club culture at Juventus, when a win today is just a reminder that you need to become even better tomorrow to remain successful, and I'm extremely happy that Carrera has this mentality.

Thank you everyone for your congratulations, and thanks to Juventus for preparing Carrera for the managerial position at Spartak so well :smile: Good luck to Juve in the Champions League and Serie A this year!

Spartak and Juventus won't play each other in the Champions League group stage next season as both almost certainly will be in Pot 1, but who knows, maybe we will meet in the knockout stage (we haven't made it to the playoffs for ages, but I want to dream big now) :smile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)