Lippi stalls over new deal (1 Viewer)

Dec 26, 2004
Lippi stalls over new deal Thursday 16 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy boss Marcello Lippi says he won’t consider signing a new contract with the national side until after the World Cup Finals.

The Italian Football Federation have presented the former Juventus Coach a new deal which to ink, but Lippi wants to firstly see how things go for his team during Germany 2006.

“The Federation have already offered me a new deal,” Lippi said during a webchat hosted by the FIGC on Thursday.

“I responded by saying that I presently feel a great deal of faith around me and if that is the case after the World Cup, then I will happily continue with La Nazionale.

“Could I one day return to Juventus after Italy? You can never say never even if I would like to try an experience in England or Spain.”

Lippi has successfully guided the Azzurri to this summer’s tournament and hopes are high after recent wins against Holland and Germany.

What makes that achievement even more remarkable is that qualification and those victories were obtained without the likes of Filippo Inzaghi, Antonio Cassano and numerous other players.

Although Lippi has claimed that the doors to the national side are always open, he seems to have slightly closed them on a number of individuals this evening.

“I don’t see any surprises regarding my squad right now,” he stated. “That’s because I don’t want to create false hope for anyone. I’ll make my final decisions in mid May.

“Inzaghi is going through a good moment of form, but I think it is right to leave him alone and serene.

“As for Cassano, he knows that if he wants to return to the side then he must start making an impact for Real Madrid.”

Lippi, who added that he is confident that Francesco Totti will be back from injury in time, did rule out calls for Roma defender Christian Panucci and Inter ‘keeper Francesco Toldo.

“With regard to Panucci, I made a decision at the start of my reign and I’ve always been happy with the players used in his position,” he added.

“Toldo also told me at the start that he intended to get out of the Giro Azzurro in order to dedicate himself to his family and club side.”

Comments,

Buy on AliExpress.com

AleDP10

Mar 16, 2006
Lippi's smart. Extending his contract before the finals would only lead to miserable situations if they Italy aren't crowned world champions.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
Lippi maybe wants to try an experience in England or Spain but if we offer him a new contract he surely won't refuse.
As one said, this man has Juventus in his DNA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)