Juve’s Little Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2004
The boy’s a bit special. Of that, there is little doubt. Although comparisons with fellow pint-sizer Lionel Messi are as premature as they are inaccurate, Sebastian Giovinco is an exciting youngster with real potential. But if the ambitious 22-year-old is going to realise his dream of one day winning the World Cup and the Golden Ball, then Juventus will have a key part to play in it. Not only do they own his contract, they are also, crucially, in charge of his destiny.

Giovinco is a graduate of the club’s youth academy. A key member of their Primavera side, the Turin native made his first team debut last season in Serie B before it was decided that he should be loaned out to little Empoli for 2007-08. It’s been a success for all involved – the player and both outfits.

The midget gem has been given the opportunity of regular top-flight football for the first time and he’s revelled in it. He’s started in 15 of his 27 League appearances to date, scoring five goals and assisting in numerous others. The numbers make good reading, but they only tell part of the story. His performances haven’t been too bad either…

If you take the pagelle marks from Italy’s three sports papers and those from four other dailies, Giovinco was Week 30’s best player thanks to an average mark of 7.43. He followed up that lively display against Roma by inspiring the Azzurrini to a 2-0 win over Azerbaijan on Tuesday. He set up both goals and wowed the crowd by forcing a save out of the goalkeeper with a shot from inside his own half.

Taking into account what he’s achieved this season, even much-maligned sporting director Alessio Secco is aware that Giovinco could be of real use to Juventus next term. The side lacks width, as has become evident when Claudio Ranieri has been deprived of either Mauro Camoranesi or Pavel Nedved. Giovinco would also give the tactician a player who can genuinely dribble past opponents, plus a burst of speed that Juve sometimes need.

So it would make sense for Giovinco to be recalled to the Old Lady then? Yes it would, but on the condition that he’s actually given an opportunity to play. He obviously can’t be guaranteed a starting shirt, he’ll have to earn that, but in order for the little one to make a big impression then he must be offered a regular chance. Otherwise shipping him out on loan for one more year may be the best move for everyone.

Juventus already have one so-called future great, Raffaele Palladino, who has struggled to make his mark this season, while Domenico Criscito was quickly despatched back to Genoa in January after some very unsettling games. It would be sad to see the same happen to Giovinco next term. The problem is that talent alone – especially in Serie A – is sometimes not enough to turn a good player into a great, it’s about how that ability is nurtured. And that’s where Juventus come in.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/blogs/al26.html

Buy on AliExpress.com

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Im certain Giovinco will get lots of playing time.He isnt a raw teenager any longer who's going to be moulded into the squad slowly.He's 22 years old,and i think the lack of spark in our midfield should ensure that Giovinco plays regularly.

Cristico and Palladino were different cases.Giovinco's talent is out there for the world to see.That wasnt the case with the former two.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Im certain Giovinco will get lots of playing time.He isnt a raw teenager any longer who's going to be moulded into the squad slowly.He's 22 years old,and i think the lack of spark in our midfield should ensure that Giovinco plays regularly.

Cristico and Palladino were different cases.Giovinco's talent is out there for the world to see.That wasnt the case with the former two.
exactly the same thing i said :tup:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
What do you mean?? I dont understand that!!
The "world" considers Criscito one of the best and promising defenders, Italy has at the moment and the same goes for Palladino before (the interest from the EPL greatest teams) and after his magical spells with the NT.
Everybody blames Juve for not using them properly, even the players, themselves.

These 3 are probably the most talented and promising material we own,
but do we have any space for them?
I think we do, but it seems that CR, doesnt...

Jim_Boi

Oct 7, 2007
I find it unnecessary to open new threads when there is a Giovinco thread already, plus this article was printed and posted yesterday.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
What do you mean?? I dont understand that!!
The "world" considers Criscito one of the best and promising defenders, Italy has at the moment and the same goes for Palladino before (the interest from the EPL greatest teams) and after his magical spells with the NT.
Everybody blames Juve for not using them properly, even the players, themselves.

These 3 are probably the most talented and promising material we own,
but do we have any space for them?
I think we do, but it seems that CR, doesnt...
I disagree.Palladino and Cristico didnt show what Giovinco has.Cristico was a dissapointment as he came with a lot of expectations,but Palladino on the other hand was only overhyped.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
i think the youngters we have now deserve another chance, i dont want to ship them off now before they have had that chance.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I disagree.Palladino and Cristico didnt show what Giovinco has.Cristico was a dissapointment as he came with a lot of expectations,but Palladino on the other hand was only overhyped.
I dont think you got my point either, i also admire Giovinco and find more promises in Giovinco's face too. But we are Juventini, the rest of the world sees the other two, as promising as him. Criscito has a better experience in serie A
and Palla has a big list list of admirers, that goes as far, as to include Ferguson and Wenger!! I have spoken with Interisti, Milanisti and Romanisti and they all consider Palla a great talent, esp after his recent games with the NT, that is wasted in Juve's bench.
Thats what i meant, i personally hope that Giovinco will be grow to the hero will wish him to be and that he will be the answer to our creativity problems!

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
and Palla has a big list list of admirers, that goes as far, as to include Ferguson and Wenger!! I have spoken with Interisti, Milanisti and Romanisti and they all consider Palla a great talent, esp after his recent games with the NT, that is wasted in Juve's bench.
these interisti, milanisti and romanisti rate palla so high, because they don't really follow him...

they see one match by accident (e.g. for the squadra azzura) and think .... wow, this palladino guy must be a great player...

but we as juventini know better ... we saw what palladino played like, when he was given the chance in serie a and that is quite disappointing.

i think it is the same with wenger and ferguson ... they surely do not have the time to watch all juve games to see what kind of impact palladino makes, when playing in the league so their judgement is based on some newspaper articles that say "palladino great against portugal", then they watch a youtube video (where obviously only good scenes are shown) and then they say.... hey, this is a great talent ...

i'm sorry but palladino seems to lack a bit of intelligence ... often he tried to dribble past his man way to often without being successful... giving away the ball to often.

a smart guy would think "okay, instead of trying to dribble i'll look for a one-two"

even if the one-two does not work or a pass does not find it's man ... you can't blame someone for trying to make a pass but U CAN blame palladino for being so selfish to go one on one against his opponent and repeatedly losing the ball !

i think loaning palladino to a mid-table-club would be the best solution .... if he agrees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)