Jose Mourinhos Chelsea Briefing of Newcastle United - Leaked (1 Viewer)

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Jose's english is pretty much perfect...

One of his first footballing roles was as bobby's interpreter / assistant at barca several years ago

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Shadowfax said:
Jose's english is pretty much perfect...

One of his first footballing roles was as bobby's interpreter / assistant at barca several years ago
Oh, good for him.

So do you think he wrote this?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I just read it. It's quite detailed. Worth a look as an example of what goes into match preparations.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You know, I always wonder about the importance of tactics. Sure, you can change things a little bit, but I still think the quality of your players is more important in the end. Besides good football players hardly make big tactical mistakes.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Fascinating. I have always wondered what Mourinho does to prepare for matches, and this is exactly what I expected. The guy does not really miss a beat and is pretty much ready for everything...no wonder why he is so successful. If or when I become a manager I will do something very similar to this.

Seven, the biggest challenge to some managers is choosing the right formation and tactics to fit your players. Tactics play a big part in football nowadays because they are used to eliminate certain threats, just like what Rehagel did with Greece. The days of Cloughie football are long gone I'm afraid..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
RochemBeck said:
Fascinating. I have always wondered what Mourinho does to prepare for matches, and this is exactly what I expected. The guy does not really miss a beat and is pretty much ready for everything...no wonder why he is so successful. If or when I become a manager I will do something very similar to this.

Seven, the biggest challenge to some managers is choosing the right formation and tactics to fit your players. Tactics play a big part in football nowadays because they are used to eliminate certain threats, just like what Rehagel did with Greece. The days of Cloughie football are long gone I'm afraid..
Exactly. Your players are still more important than your tactics. Of course tactics play a big part in football, otherwise we wouldn't be hearing of them constantly. Nonetheless their influence is limited.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
RochemBeck said:

I don't think other managers in the caliber of Mourinho do a lesser job actually.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
In terms of preparation Jeeks? I'm not really sure about that.

Seven, a manager's influence is indeed limited, however their influence can either make or break the side. The latter is more documented and is usually spoken about extensively when talking about coaching.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
RochemBeck said:
In terms of preparation Jeeks? I'm not really sure about that.

Seven, a manager's influence is indeed limited, however their influence can either make or break the side. The latter is more documented and is usually spoken about extensively when talking about coaching.
But aren't motivational skills the key here? Not too many coaches make big tactical mistakes. The two biggest I can think of are Trapattoni replacing del Piero with Gattuso in 2002 and Advocaat replacing Robben in 2004.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Hate to break it to you guys, but I doubt it was Mourinho who wrote this. ;)

It was most probably Andre Vilas Boas, Chelsea's chief scout.

Word has it that for the Porto vs Monaco CL final he prepared a 90 minute DVD for each of his players which would focus solely on the particular opponent they'd be directly facing (so one on Rothen for Ferreira, Giuly for Valente etc).

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
yeah, Mourinho probably doesn't have time to prepare something like that. It's more something the scout would prepare after watching a shit load of NUFC videos, another thing Mourinho doesn't have time for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)