<< Jeepers Keepers >> (3 Viewers)

Camoranesi16

Jul 23, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

6. Positioning: A good keeper will always be in the best position to stop a shot, whereever the ball is on the field. Most good keepers rarely leave the penalty area, as a goal can be scored over the head even from half-field or beyond. Also, a keeper must a good grasp of where his goal is behind him so as to deploy himself at the proper angle to stop the shot. If you want to see perfect positioning, watch Iker Cassilas.
How can you claim That Cassilas have good positioning???

Buffon is undoubtedly the best positioned goalkeeper today (and maybe ever)

Cassilas is a so called "audience keeper". I have never seen him save a shot without jumping 2 meters in the air and doing 15 rolls when hitting the grass.
Cassilas biggest weakness is his exaggeration in every situation, wich is the opposite of what a goalkeeper should be, Calm!

Cassilas have fantastic reflexes and is very agile, But definatly not right positioned...

If we are to discuss Buffons Goalkeeping its the exact opposite. Buffon will never throw himself in the air if not necessary. therefore people might think that he is not as great as cassilas.

You barely see Buffon in any game and if you see him he does, what looks like, an easy save and then he disapears for the rest of the game.
And guess what?..... we win the game with no goals conceded!
THATS a good Goalkeeper!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Au contraire, Casillas has the best positioning of any goalie on the planet right now, or at least about a year ago he did. Remember the CL final against Leverkusen? He came on and every shot hit him? I said at the time it was fluke but it just kept happening again, and again and again.

All round I don't reckon he's a particularly brilliant keeper but he's always in the right place at the right time. You're right about him being a bit of a drama queen but then he does play in spain.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
IMO, another crucial skill for a keeper, often underrated, is his ability to save shots with his feet. Very often will keepers concede goals they could have saved with their feet, simply because they cant get low to the ground fast enough to save with their hands. IMO VDS is very good at this.

Camoranesi16

Jul 23, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Tom ] ++
You're right about him being a bit of a drama queen but then he does play in spain.
HAHAHA How could I forget....

I agree with Zlatan about footplay. We all remember Toldo in the Final against france in Euro 2000...
He chose to save with his foot but didn't reach the ball.
But that mistake had alot to do with taking the wrong decision. Toldo could have saved the shot if he would have saved with his hands...

but then again... Toldo was just the back-up ;)

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
Good keeper can only expres him in the right club,IMO.
Let's take Cech as an example,while he was playing for Rennes he was forced to get the ball from his own net somethimes 3 or 4 times per game,but now in Chelsea he was beaten only 14 times.
Much of keeper's qualities depends on the defenders infront of him.Forexample,the season's 2003/04 defending failure in Juve,Buffon was characterized as the keeper with dcrement of his form(I think he was great than also),while last season with Cannavaro infront of him he was great.

-Good reflexes,
-positioning,
-comunication,
-Good air abilities,
-locomotion,
-for the free kicks against him,good evaluation of possible ball lane
-Good defenders infront of him

I think that Buffon has it all.
He is certainly the best one.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Casillas is lucky.. Buffon is talented. Buffon is in a totally different league than Casillas. The only keepers buffon can be compared with are Peruzzi mainly and Paliuca.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)