Italy set for foreigner limit (1 Viewer)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by River ] ++
I didnt say it wasnt harder. I said it wasnt discrimination. You use the word to easily.
If you intentionally make it harder for one part of a given population to achieve a goal (in this case it would be foreigners playing Serie A), then it's discrimination. Sorry, but it is what it is.

And Shadowfax said what i was trying to say, only he said it better:D
Yeah, he has a nack for doing that...

I would love the ruling in England. As a Chelsea fan it used to really annoy me how Chelsea had became the foreign English team. English players were not coming up through the ranks.

It may be ok for Italy, I dont know alot about the Italian league. But certainly in England i think its a problem, there isnt enough young players coming through. Although it is improving, it certainly has been a way of in the past.

I mean Owen and Rooney is basically the only good english youth players to come in since the ManUnited 5.

Sacrifice the future of a nations football to ensure they are not 'discriminating'? Its silly.

Its the Italian league, its the Italian league rules. The English league, the English league rules. Live with them or go somewhere else.
Alright, you and Paul are both arguing from the point of view that the English national team has suffered from an influx of foreigners into the EPL. That may or may not be true. I am of the opinion that the amount of foreigners playing in the EPL has nothing to do with the performance of the NT, but that's niether here nor there.

The point of a football club is to provide entertainment for fans while making money. Football clubs should be able to field the best team that they can. This is the basis of league competition, and to me, putting a restriction on foreigners not only is discriminatory; but also lessen the authenticity of the competition.

The football clubs are not owned or operated by or for the national teams, and thus their squad composition should not be determined with regard to the national team, but with regard to creating a fair and equitable league in order to foster a healthy competition.

And to Paul: I've never been a fan of nationalist sentiments, we're all humans, and we all live on earth, why are "English" people entitled to more?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
Ok I have a question, I forgot about this...

Doesnt Spain have a rule where no more than 3 non-eu can be in the field at the same time? Is it non-eu or non spanish?

Maybe the same thing could be done in Italy? although I think 9 foreigners from 18 is better, because that no more than 3 foreignes in the field is no good for the club and the players... Rustu didnt get more playing time at Barca because of that...

River

Jun 15, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++

If you intentionally make it harder for one part of a given population to achieve a goal (in this case it would be foreigners playing Serie A), then it's discrimination. Sorry, but it is what it is.

Yeah, he has a nack for doing that...

Alright, you and Paul are both arguing from the point of view that the English national team has suffered from an influx of foreigners into the EPL. That may or may not be true. I am of the opinion that the amount of foreigners playing in the EPL has nothing to do with the performance of the NT, but that's niether here nor there.

The point of a football club is to provide entertainment for fans while making money. Football clubs should be able to field the best team that they can. This is the basis of league competition, and to me, putting a restriction on foreigners not only is discriminatory; but also lessen the authenticity of the competition.

The football clubs are not owned or operated by or for the national teams, and thus their squad composition should not be determined with regard to the national team, but with regard to creating a fair and equitable league in order to foster a healthy competition.

And to Paul: I've never been a fan of nationalist sentiments, we're all humans, and we all live on earth, why are "English" people entitled to more?
My views on this are most likely skewed because:

1) Im English
2) Im a Chelsea fan and had to deal with the late 90s foreign takeover ;)

Im not one for discrimination. And i agree with you on alot of points about competition etc.

But im not really just talking about the national team. But i think say for example the English league, when we watch that we dont just want to see quality competition and great players. We want to see at most players be English. We want to watch young English players play and mature and watch them as they do that. We dont need 10 languages spoken in the dressing room. And hate to see a good young player float of to obscurity because someone just signed a French man.

Its to bad I really suck at discussion though.

Jul 12, 2002
My views on this are most likely skewed because:

1) Im English
2) Im a Chelsea fan and had to deal with the late 90s foreign takeover ;)

Im not one for discrimination. And i agree with you on alot of points about competition etc.

But im not really just talking about the national team. But i think say for example the English league, when we watch that we dont just want to see quality competition and great players. We want to see at most players be English. We want to watch young English players play and mature and watch them as they do that. We dont need 10 languages spoken in the dressing room. And hate to see a good young player float of to obscurity because someone just signed a French man.

Its to bad I really suck at discussion though.
But, what makes that good young Englishman any more deserving of a place in the squad than a Frenchman?

River

Jun 15, 2004
Im not talking about deserving. Im talking about what I want. Why cant I have what i want ?:D

I dunno man. You got me. Im outta me league here :moan:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
This national-clubs-for-national-teams argument is only get more watered down with time -- given the nationality switches of the likes of Deco to Portugal, Camoranesi to Italy, etc., etc. For crying out loud, Zidene should be playing for Algeria for that matter.

So what's the point anymore? The horses are already out of the barn.

Jul 12, 2002
Im not talking about deserving. Im talking about what I want. Why cant I have what i want ?:D
You can and so can the Italian League, but don't act surprised when there is a backlash...

I dunno man. You got me. Im outta me league here :moan:
"To know when defeated is much better than to know when victorious, for in defeat comes humility" That is, unless your name is Totti. ;)

K10

Jul 12, 2002
Perhaps Italy instead, should export their talent and let them gain experience abroad so they wouldn't totaly be exposed to only one brand of football (Italian). There are not many, as a matter of fact, no one, on the Italian national team that play outside of Italy.

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
Perhaps Italy instead, should export their talent and let them gain experience abroad so they wouldn't totaly be exposed to only one brand of football (Italian). There are not many, as a matter of fact, no one, on the Italian national team that play outside of Italy.
Well I would say this is a good idea - however, Italian coahes are extremely reluctant to select footballers playing in a foreign league.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
I think this rule is great. First of all, it doesnt affect juve. and then we can actually go back to how football used to be in italy, instead of serveral foreigners dominating our league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)