ireland v switzerland (1 Viewer)

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
Irelands too best players Roy keane and Damien Duff both will miss this match through injury. Shay given should be ok after bruising his foot in training. Irish fans will hope given can produce another world class performance in goal against the swiss.

for the swiss their playmaker hakan yakin will be missing.

ireland have to win to at least secure a playoff spot.
while if switzerland match frances result against cyprus they will top the group

with a full team ireland can be a match for anyone on their day, but missing their two key men can they collect the vital 3 points against the solid swiss.

iam hopefull ireland can sneak through with a victory by the slimist margins.

ireland 2- 1 swizterland

robbie keane x2:fero:

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Rami ] ++
Great!! and now ill go post my PeruXBolivia thread:D
Sure - that is what this subforum is for. :p

Ireland's in trouble for Wednesday. Even if the unhumanly awful performances from Saturday's game against Cyprus don't manifest themselves again, we're still missing two key players and have alot more suffering from mediocre form against a Swiss side who have the measure of us, having taken seven points out of three games against us in the past three years.

My team for the game:

PHP:
.             Given
Finnan Cunningham O Brien O Shea
      S Reid Holland A Reid
     Morrisson Elliott Keane
Debatable points:
  • Should Harte start? O'Shea's been woeful at left back recently, but then Harte is generally even worse.
  • Should Kilbane retain his place? A real donkey of a player, who spent last season playing out of his skin, he's found his level again, and it's not pretty.
  • Should Kavanagh retain his place? Unless you go with a three-man midfield as I suggested, or play O'Shea in there, you can only drop one of Kilbane and Kavanagh. Kavanagh's form isn't great, but one blip against Cyprus might have been just that. Still, I can't say I've any confidence in him right now.
  • Which two of Cunningham, Dunne and O'Brien?
    The first two had stinkers against Cyprus, so O'Brien, who's done well for Ireland recently, is likely to come in. For whom though? Dunne's club form isn't manifesting itself for Ireland, while Cunningham's not been himself for Birmhingham lately.
All in all, I'm predicting a draw on Wednesday, as our best proves insufficient.

OP
Eire

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    yeah and i hope france draw with cyprus.

i would like to see harte play for his dead ball ability.
    i think kavanagh will be up for this game following the match in basel the swiss very very arrogant when they beat us in the last campaign, we owe them big time.

if we stop vogel strangelhold in midfield and snuff out frei we should get the valuable three points.

lets hope for a passionate display

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Eire ] ++
    yeah and i hope france draw with cyprus.
    No good to us - they'd still be a goal ahead on GD! We need the Cypriots to really pull the finger out and get a win. ;)

i would like to see harte play for his dead ball ability.
    And I'd rather we played almost anyone else. He might get a goal, but he'll probably gift them at least three good chances.

i think kavanagh will be up for this game following the match in basel the swiss very very arrogant when they beat us in the last campaign, we owe them big time.
    He's fat and geriatric, he'll never score a hat-trick. His hair is grey, but we want him to play, walking in a Kavanagh wonderland? ;) If he plays, he'll probably give his best. The more distance I have from Saturday, the more I think his performance was a blip.

if we stop vogel strangelhold in midfield
    The problem is that they get bodies in there - three of them to be precise. We could do with playing Reid nominally on the right, but tucking in to give a hand there.

... and snuff out frei we should get the valuable three points.
    I don't think Kinsella made the squad this time. ;)

lets hope for a passionate display
    The fans will give it. The players... we'll see.

OP
    Eire

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    france are only one point ahead of us if they draw with cyprus they will be two ahead, so if we beat the clock makers we will finish 1 point ahead of france.

unlikely i know- when pigs will fly you might say but stranger things have happened.

iam a wexford man and hoping for doyle to get a chance, how do you rate him.

i think he is as good as elliott. pacey hard working and a good finisher

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    france are only one point ahead of us...
    :redface: Oops - thought we were all level. :)

iam a wexford man and hoping for doyle to get a chance, how do you rate him.

i think he is as good as elliott. pacey hard working and a good finisher
    I didn't see much of him for Cork (UCD fan), but his impact at Reading suggests he's got the form we need. That said, Elliot has been doing it longer, and he played well enough against Cyprus that I doubt Doyle will get his chance this time. Give it a while though, and his ability will tell. It'd be great to have a few options up front for once!!

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    0-0 :down:

France through, Swiss second, Ireland 4th - our worst finish in qualifiers in 20 years. :down:

Cunningham has retired. :down:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    0-0 :down:

France through, Swiss second, Ireland 4th - our worst finish in qualifiers in 20 years. :down:

Cunningham has retired. :down:
    I feel your pain, I was rooting for the swiss and the irish to make it out of that group, france doesnt deserve to go to germany.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++
    Man i will never forget kostadinov's goal against france in 1993 in the last minute of play to them out, and ginola crying..priceless
    I wasn't a football fan back then, but any team with Ginola in it failing has to be funny. :)

OP
    Eire

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #18
    ++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++

it happened like i hoped :D
    even if ireland won , france would have still finished first.

too much long ball no creative ideas and no balls from the management, they played with 1 striker why should we play with four defenders for the entire game.

we should have changed to a 4-4-3 or 3-4-3 both morrison and keane should have stayed on not that they were playing brilliant but we needed strikers.

s reid should have started or came on earlier, and a reid should have been moved to the left wing then maybe he would have put in a few decent crosses.

s carr was brutal he is the one i would have taken off to bring elliott on.

it reminded me of juventus v liverpool in the deli alpi last year 0-0 draw that left me feeling cold

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    even if ireland won , france would have still finished first.
    Yeah, lazy Cypriots couldn't even draw against France!

too much long ball no creative ideas
    Always the way with us. Even with Duff playing we play the ball long too often. There's never any confidence in our build up play.

and no balls from the management, they played with 1 striker why should we play with four defenders for the entire game.
    I don't agree. They created enough chances as is. Hakin Yakin (sp?) might not be an out and out striker, but he makes enough trouble to warrant having an extra centre half there to look after him.

we should have changed to a 4-4-3
    I thought the crowd were the twelfth man. ;)

Maybe. I think we played reasonably well with the plain old 4-4-2. Possibly for the last ten minutes alright.

both morrison and keane should have stayed on not that they were playing brilliant but we needed strikers.
    Don't totally agree. I would have been happier to see Elliot on for Morrison, who wasn't doing much. I think the extra midfielder contributed more than Morrisson would have as a third striker.

s reid should have started or came on earlier, and a reid should have been moved to the left wing then maybe he would have put in a few decent crosses.
    I would have started both Reids myself. I could see Kerr's thinking though. Kilbane played to ensure that Harte could only do so much damage at left back.

s carr was brutal he is the one i would have taken off to bring elliott on.
    Carr played fine, I thought, though I couldn't see his second half performance that well from where I was sitting (so he may have been a bit defensively suspect). He's a right back FFS - he's not going to keep skipping into the opposition box. Maybe a few years ago, but he doesn't do that now. I couldn't see Finnan adding more to the game. Would have brought off Harte myself. He wasn't doing much either, for all the passes he made. Kilbane could have slipped into wingback.

OP
    Eire

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
  • Thread Starter #20
    what chances did we create, hartes header from a corner in the first half and s reids shot near the end, their keeper is viewed as poor enough. we did not test him at all.

carr was extremley sloppy in possesion trying to walk out of the defence. he never offered our centre halves an easy option. not expecting him to get in to their box but to actually use the ball well.

we all know how bad doherty is we would have been better off moving
    dunne up front instead of the doc at least he would not foul the swiss defence every time.

they had 1 striker frei someone man mark him then 2 other defenders left to pick up anyone who gets forward their was no need for 4 defenders.

we just played the percentages it was a game we had to win it was
    time to be brave and gamble.

taking off robbie keane was stupid yes his touch let him down a few times but if anyone was going to create a chance out of nothig it was him.

the first twenty mins of the second half we done nothing elliott should have came on at half time.

and hakin yakin was not playing they played vonlathen as a fifth midfielder but took him off and replaced him with an out and out mid

ah las its too late now its all ifs and buts. very disappointing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)