"I support Muslims who love freedom" (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
This sentence implies that you are not sure about it being less harmful than chicken,though in the early posts u insisted that it's safer.

Saying pork is safer and healthier than chicken is just :sergio: \
Let me put it to you in another way that doesn't require reading food & health warnings, incidents of safety reports (chicken has 2x as many health citations as beef, and almost 3x as many as pork, in the U.S. for example)... And let's avoid things like silly one-off Web citations.

You can leave beef out at room temperature for a while to eat it safely. In fact, for some forms of beef this is even recommended (dry aging, etc.). Pork can be left out for a little, but not too long. Chicken, on the other hand, is like mayonnaise. You leave it out at room temperature, and the bacteria go apeshit and make it a recipe for a hospital trip.

Then taking cooking the actual meat. You can safely serve beef on the rare side. Even pork can be a little pink. But if you serve chicken on the rare side with pink in it, you may as well dial 9-1-1.

But chicken is okay but not pork? No. This isn't about food safety and health in this day and age. This is about tradition. And if you don't believe that, and instead that it's based in science or rational thinking, then you're kidding yourself. Either that or your religion is yanking your chain.

so you're saying hitler and mohamed had more than one thing in common? :shifty:
I call foul! The Ever-Popular Hitler Analogy is grounds for immediate dismissal.

Hitler loved dogs, therefore dog lovers are evil. Hitler promoted vegetarianism, therefore vegetarians are all Jew-killahs... blah blah blah.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Are you kidding?

Who said alcohol is not harmful in shor term?
If so then footballers would be allowed to drink once a week.:shifty:

And regarding Coke,go to any Dietitian and he will show you the amounts of Coke to have that can't harm you even if you live for 100 years.

:disagree:
Footballers can drink, just not to get shitfaced. Also, a lot of people that live to over 100 years claim that they drink a glass of red wine everyday before dinner. Red wine is apparently very good for you. Beer in reasonable amounts is also good for you.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
This is turning into a 'belief' versus 'fact' argument, the former disguised as the latter, like many religious matters.

Pork is not bad for you. Italians eat millions of pork products a year in the form of cured hams and types of sausages. This is also a culture that smokes a lot of tobacco and drinks alcohol socially on a weekly basis in the form of wines and spirits. The average life expectancy is 80.5, which is the 12th highest in the world. Spain is another example, they are 6th. So even though the other side of the Mediterranean diet is pretty much healthy, why are these forbidden vices not having more of an impact?

Maybe if Italians didn't eat pork they would have a life expectancy akin to Japan who are ranked number 1? Nope, I know from having lived in Japan that they eat cooked pork routinely, in fact Okinawa is called the 'Island of Pork' as they eat so much of it there. Okinawans, before western fatty diets took more hold in recent years, had the longest life expectancy of anywhere in the world. It's fat and it's attributing factors which takes years off your life, not pork.

It's uncooked, under cooked and untreated pork which can give you a poorly stomach, I have experienced it myself and know people in the UK who don't eat pork because it 'doesn't agree with them'. Pork being bad for you is a myth, it's a cultural aspect of Islam and shouldn't be disguised as anything else.

Like my mother always says "too much of anything is bad for you".

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Back when Islam was invented pork was bad for you most of the time though. It's meat that goes bad very fast.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Footballers can drink, just not to get shitfaced. Also, a lot of people that live to over 100 years claim that they drink a glass of red wine everyday before dinner. Red wine is apparently very good for you. Beer in reasonable amounts is also good for you.
Agree and the health argument is just silly. Hookah's are very popular in the middle east and even though they are not as malicious as cigarettes, they are still unhealthy.

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007
This is turning into a 'belief' versus 'fact' argument, the former disguised as the latter, like many religious matters.

Pork is not bad for you. Italians eat millions of pork products a year in the form of cured hams and types of sausages. This is also a culture that smokes a lot of tobacco and drinks alcohol socially on a weekly basis in the form of wines and spirits. The average life expectancy is 80.5, which is the 12th highest in the world. Spain is another example, they are 6th. So even though the other side of the Mediterranean diet is pretty much healthy, why are these forbidden vices not having more of an impact?

Maybe if Italians didn't eat pork they would have a life expectancy akin to Japan who are ranked number 1? Nope, I know from having lived in Japan that they eat cooked pork routinely, in fact Okinawa is called the 'Island of Pork' as they eat so much of it there. Okinawans, before western fatty diets took more hold in recent years, had the longest life expectancy of anywhere in the world. It's fat and it's attributing factors which takes years off your life, not pork.

It's uncooked, under cooked and untreated pork which can give you a poorly stomach, I have experienced it myself and know people in the UK who don't eat pork because it 'doesn't agree with them'. Pork being bad for you is a myth, it's a cultural aspect of Islam and shouldn't be disguised as anything else.

Like my mother always says "too much of anything is bad for you".
Yes it's well known that Okinawan diet is the healthiest in the world,but that does't means it's perfect,there is a difference between being best and being perfect.Yes,it's a well known fact about the Okinawans to have the longest life expectancy,but whether due to their diet or not that has been disputed,cos as you know those who have high life expectancy are likely to have genes that code for slow aging,adding to that there are thousands or maybe millions of people around the world who are following the Okinawan diet but yet they are not crossing 100 as many of the Okinawans.

Yes Okinawans consume pork,but it's not a must at all to include it in the diet.And know that JJ that their diet mainly work on how to decrease the amounts of calories in the food rather than the quantity of the food itself as well as dividing the food into categories so that you can easily know if you are eating certain foods too often or not often enough,it's not at all about eating specific types of meals.

Adding to that,you must be also knowing that there are many who consider linking the Okinawan long life expectancy to their diet as a myth.And in fact the Okinawan people are following their diet because mainly it's a tradition in their Island not because it is/was scientifically proven.

I wonder why people here are linking health to life expectancy,there are surely relations but there are many other factors which are also affecting life expectancy such as genetic,lifestyle and enviromental factors.Not all those who die early are unhealthy and not all those who live longer are perfectly healthy.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Let me put it to you in another way that doesn't require reading food & health warnings, incidents of safety reports (chicken has 2x as many health citations as beef, and almost 3x as many as pork, in the U.S. for example)... And let's avoid things like silly one-off Web citations.

You can leave beef out at room temperature for a while to eat it safely. In fact, for some forms of beef this is even recommended (dry aging, etc.). Pork can be left out for a little, but not too long. Chicken, on the other hand, is like mayonnaise. You leave it out at room temperature, and the bacteria go apeshit and make it a recipe for a hospital trip.

Then taking cooking the actual meat. You can safely serve beef on the rare side. Even pork can be a little pink. But if you serve chicken on the rare side with pink in it, you may as well dial 9-1-1.

But chicken is okay but not pork? No. This isn't about food safety and health in this day and age. This is about tradition. And if you don't believe that, and instead that it's based in science or rational thinking, then you're kidding yourself. Either that or your religion is yanking your chain.
Exactly, so there's no point in trying to use pesky things like science or facts because he won't listen.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #320
    Adding to that,you must be also knowing that there are many who consider linking the Okinawan long life expectancy to their diet as a myth.And in fact the Okinawan people are following their diet because mainly it's a tradition in their Island not because it is/was scientifically proven.
    The irony is strong in this one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)