High Wages in Football (1 Viewer)

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
You have heard this all before, and I'm going to sound like a crazy hippy, but I find the wages in football quite disgusting. At times it is enough to put me off the sport at the highest levels. My brother worked in a cancer research lab and was on about £12k a year. It makes me sick to my stomach when the top footballers take home more than this per week for doing something that is little more than entertainment.

You can look around and see even worse examples than my brother. Doctors and scientists for example take home pathetic wages compared to the average high league footballer.

I respect players like Nedved who have their heads screwed on straight and realise there is more to life than football, but he does still take home a large amount of money each week.

Footballers have short careers, but that is no excuse for the nauseatingly inflated wages they are on.

I know that it will likely never change, but I still am depressed by it all.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Valley ] ++
You have heard this all before, and I'm going to sound like a crazy hippy, but I find the wages in football quite disgusting. At times it is enough to put me off the sport at the highest levels. My brother worked in a cancer research lab and was on about £12k a year. It makes me sick to my stomach when the top footballers take home more than this per week for doing something that is little more than entertainment.

You can look around and see even worse examples than my brother. Doctors and scientists for example take home pathetic wages compared to the average high league footballer.

I respect players like Nedved who have their heads screwed on straight and realise there is more to life than football, but he does still take home a large amount of money each week.

Footballers have short careers, but that is no excuse for the nauseatingly inflated wages they are on.

you should see american sports

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Valley ] ++

Well lad of course everybody wants to earn the wages of football players, but y do u want to feel disgusted over this thing? Everybody may want to be rich, but does it necessary bring in happiness? $ is only a priority in life, but IMO happiness contribute a bigger part. I'm sure ur brother should be happy right now eh?

Don't forget 1 thing, footballers may seem to earn a lot of $$$ (in fact they do), but they r prone to injuries, a nasty tackle is enough to ruin their career, and they have to spend $$$ to get an operation to treat it. And their bodies r full of bruises and scars and such, u don't want that on ur body do u? Don't forget that they will be "mentally tormented" if they don't get on the pitch.

No need to get depressed :)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
It is a fact though,that high wages can ruin a footballer's life.Some succumb to drugs and booze,others spend a fortune when they're at the peak of their short career and end up poorer than most people when they spend more than they have after they've played past their best.

OP
Valley

Valley

Apr 20, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++

Don't forget 1 thing, footballers may seem to earn a lot of $$$ (in fact they do), but they r prone to injuries, a nasty tackle is enough to ruin their career, and they have to spend $$$ to get an operation to treat it. And their bodies r full of bruises and scars and such, u don't want that on ur body do u? Don't forget that they will be "mentally tormented" if they don't get on the pitch.

No need to get depressed :)
    Risk of injuries are not an excuse for high wages. Rugby is a far, far more physical and dangerous game yet they are on peanuts compared to footballers.

Feb 26, 2005
    Yeah football players get high wages. But what about Amrerican sports? Basketball, American football, baseball players,etc regularly pen 20, 30 and 40 million dollar contracts, and no-one raises an eyebrow. It's these truly obscene wages that cause kids to abandon their education to shoot for the stars. That's far worse than football can ever do.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
    The Wages aren't built buy any standards due to things like injuries and stuff. They are built based on Business. Its ALWAYS down to business and the fact that AMERICAN sports are the highest paying is because they are the most comercial.

Ever since Muhammed Ali, Sports took on a new path, the way of Business and media. The better the players, the more entertaining the team, the more the team wins, the more money the teams recieves. Through sponsors, stadium attendances and media coverage rights. We've all heard before how someone would literally PAY to watch 4ex: Del Piero dribble, Jordan Dunk, Bonds Batting.

With the introduction of sports agents, player gained the power to demand more pay because they know more of their value (and how much the team's.franchise's finances are benefiting from them), thus the increase of wages through out the years to as high as it is now.

Although this is not the only reason to such high wages, it was probably the start of y players had to be given high wages. Other things ofcourse include the fact that u can only be a productive proffesional player for max 20 years, so most of these players want enough to secure their future.

So when you read how much beckham is getting, try to imagine how much Real recieves through his jersey sales and the impact he has both on stadium attendances and team performance, not to mention perhaps TV coverage revenues from around the world which "might" have been influenced by his presence on the team. (might)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)