HELP NEEDED (selecting OS at boot screen screen) (1 Viewer)

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
-I had Windows XP installed at partition C:
-Tried to upgrade with vista and the installation failed, XP automatically returned
-I installed XP in another partition (D:)

At that moment, as the pc boots, i had two options, to select between the two OSs,
if not the machine would automatically boot from the new installation.

-Then i tried to upgrade the XP on D: to vista, the installation failed again
-I performed a format on D;
-So i tried a clean install, with another key and version of windows vista
-The second installation also failed, i probably have a component issue.
-I performed another format on D:, from the booting menu of the vista DVD

At this moment, as the pc boots, i have 3 options to select:
-windows vista
-windows vista
-older version of windows

If i dont quickly select the third option, the pc automatically boots on one vista version, which is fully absent from my system and requires a CD to perform a repair, an attempt of repairing though is pointless, since i ll get the same installation failure problem.

If i select the older version of windows, i m getting the screen of selecting:
-windows xp professional
-windows xp professional

the first option leads to the same problem, the second option, is the only valid way to start up, using the only OS which really is in my HD, respectively in C:

My question is:
HOW can i set my pc so it will automatically boot from the only OS which is present in my pc's HD, on C: ???
I guess that there are traces of the previous OS installation in my BIOS,
i have no clue of working with the bios though and i cant find any options to select any OS there.

I have discovered that in Windows->Control panel->System->advanced->start up and recovery i have some available options for the way my pc boots.
I would like to erase or disable any vista and other XP traces, so that my pc automatically boots in my remaining working OS

Any ideas??

ATM, if i dont press anything, my pc will reach the point of asking a cd to repair vista. I ve tried to format D: , the partition which i installed the other XP and both of the vista versions.
I performed a format from the current version of XP, i m using momentary, D: is 100% erased, but still my systems tries to boot from there.

How can i delete the partition from BIOS without the use of Windows disks?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
You will need to modify a file called BOOT.INI found in your Windows XP Installation.

There you will see lines that point to your vista installations. You can either clear those lines, or I think you can add a semi-colon ";"at the beginning of the line.

Regards,
Yamen

OP
Cronios

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3
    ;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

I see no vista:sick:
    And i have no option to stall the boot, for between xp os's its 30secs, but for vista it boots immediately...

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    hmm ok..

Try to Boot for Win XP CD. Go Into the Recovry console, I think you type R to go in. Then at the command type fixboot

This should fix it.

Tacke out the CD and restart your computer

OP
    Cronios

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #5
    Actually i deleted the D: partition and got rid of the vista issue
    and then i erased all the values on the ini, except this one:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

which represents C: in my pc

Probably not the proper way, but it worked!
    Thank you for your time Yamen.

I wonder why Vista didnt work on my rig:
    - Motherboard Gigabyte vista ready
    - Intel duo 2 core CPU
    - 4 GB DDR 2 RAM (Dual channel)
    - 2 Sata II Seagate HDDs (RAID)
    - Realtek HD 7.1 sound chip on board
    and Nvidia 8800GT will full support on direct x 10
    Most of these components appeared after vista with vista ready labels on them. There are drivers for every and each of them, available, i checked everything, i even updated BIOS
    The pre vista tests showed 100% compatibility and absolutely no problems.

I ve tried to install:
    -Greek version of home premium vista as an upgrade to XP Greek, FAILED
    -GR version of >> >> as clean install, failed
    -English version of Ultimate Vista on XP EN as upgrade, FAILED
    -EN version of >> >> clean install, FAILED.
    -EN version of Ultimate Vista with SP1, clean install, FAILED

I ve tried to repair all versions, but they all failed miserably to finalize the installation, the procedure worked normally, no errors, at copying, expanding and installing vista components, it does all the necessary restarts and right after Vista starts for the first time, a screen with the "finalize install" appears and loads indefinetly, i wait there several hours and nothing happens.
    The some problem appears at every version.Absolutely no other error messages and no halts.
    So i have reasons to believe its a hardware issue. Thats why i tried to remove most of my components and try again
    :xfinger: But again it failed, any ideas why??

OP
    Cronios

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
  • Thread Starter #7
    I ve tried two different original DVD's and 2 "unoriginal", all these DVDs where tried before in other pcs and they worked in much older and inferior rigs, both with original keys and not!
    So i cant blame microsoft for this, since their DVDs work...
    All of my components are new and still in guarantee, but i cant prove they are faulty either, i ll seek professional help...

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
    To be honest, I don't think it is the parts that caused the issue here. It could be something deeper. Something with the boot sequence, and having the mast boot records on C instead of D.

Vista is a more selfish product that might not co-exit easily.

But a rule of thumb. Install the later version firt, then install the older. i.e you should install Vista then XP and not vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)