Gym and fitness (20 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
when will you start posting regularly again?
I'm going to stick to the movie thread and this thread. I get far too irritated by people in the footballing parts of this forum, and just don't have time for it during the summer. I worked 326 hours last month, and am on pace for another 280 this month.

I just don't have the energy to expend on that stuff. Just looking at the meltdowns in the last week or so, amusing but I'd let myself get pulled into way too many arguments there. Like a moth to the flame. :lol:

It's quite funny to see some of the posters that were criticizing us for our reaction to the Barca loss, going into ridiculous meltdown mode this summer though. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
What form of Yoga do you practice? Class? Or on your own?
I used to go to classes but since we moved I haven't found proper teeachers. It's all about the teacher by the way. Anyway recently I have been practicing alone but I really miss the classes and the energy they give. I am mostly into Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga but I do Hatha from time to time and Ashtanga flow sessions do frequently come up.

@Martin

It all started when I was running a lot and then started doing functional workout that I became very stiff and wanted to soften the muscles up. I took some yoga classes with different teachers but by the third teacher I got something different. I was no longer an advanced stretching class, she helped me realise something, that what we were doing was discovering our own bodies and what we can do with it. I visited frequently and started to get the feeling of it, tried to learn the breathing and movement and synchronise them and the journey began to explore myself more. One of the teachers says something that I hear in my head everytime I spread my mat and it is "you poractice yoga all your life, give it time" and even on that day I am not able to reach some positions in the posture, I know that tomorrow I will or even in a month or even just before I die. So what started as a stretching workout has become a self discovery journey and the more I learn the more I want to learn and the more there is to learn.

What it does to me, it made me a better runner by strengthening my joints. A better lifter by being adding balance and strength to my core and a better person by giving me harmony and peace with myself. I used to hate the fact that I have a belly, I don't care now because I learned to love myself the way I am at any moment even when I said previously that certain postures don't work. Then again, not to sound repetitive, what it does to me is wanting to know more.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I used to go to classes but since we moved I haven't found proper teeachers. It's all about the teacher by the way. Anyway recently I have been practicing alone but I really miss the classes and the energy they give. I am mostly into Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga but I do Hatha from time to time and Ashtanga flow sessions do frequently come up.

@Martin

It all started when I was running a lot and then started doing functional workout that I became very stiff and wanted to soften the muscles up. I took some yoga classes with different teachers but by the third teacher I got something different. I was no longer an advanced stretching class, she helped me realise something, that what we were doing was discovering our own bodies and what we can do with it. I visited frequently and started to get the feeling of it, tried to learn the breathing and movement and synchronise them and the journey began to explore myself more. One of the teachers says something that I hear in my head everytime I spread my mat and it is "you poractice yoga all your life, give it time" and even on that day I am not able to reach some positions in the posture, I know that tomorrow I will or even in a month or even just before I die. So what started as a stretching workout has become a self discovery journey and the more I learn the more I want to learn and the more there is to learn.

What it does to me, it made me a better runner by strengthening my joints. A better lifter by being adding balance and strength to my core and a better person by giving me harmony and peace with myself. I used to hate the fact that I have a belly, I don't care now because I learned to love myself the way I am at any moment even when I said previously that certain postures don't work. Then again, not to sound repetitive, what it does to me is wanting to know more.
Thanks a lot, that's fascinating actually. I had no idea people get that kind of deep effect from it.

I tried it today for the first time. I'm pretty out of shape and it was hard (it was Hatha) to follow along. Certain poses I had zero chance to achieve, but I guess if you keep doing it for months you will get closer. I was sweating like crazy and everyone around me seemed to be too, apart from the instructor. It was pretty comical to see the contrast between your muscles being so tense that your arm is shaking and hearing all that stuff about how you're supposed to relax your neck or whatever at the same time. :D

I definitely want to do it again, because I'm intrigued. I'm a little concerned about injuries, so I like having a form of exercise that is quite low risk on joints and muscles. Also when I'm swimming almost every day it doesn't feel like I'm doing enough, so having a second thing is nice.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Thanks a lot, that's fascinating actually. I had no idea people get that kind of deep effect from it.

I tried it today for the first time. I'm pretty out of shape and it was hard (it was Hatha) to follow along. Certain poses I had zero chance to achieve, but I guess if you keep doing it for months you will get closer. I was sweating like crazy and everyone around me seemed to be too, apart from the instructor. It was pretty comical to see the contrast between your muscles being so tense that your arm is shaking and hearing all that stuff about how you're supposed to relax your neck or whatever at the same time. :D

I definitely want to do it again, because I'm intrigued. I'm a little concerned about injuries, so I like having a form of exercise that is quite low risk on joints and muscles. Also when I'm swimming almost every day it doesn't feel like I'm doing enough, so having a second thing is nice.
Hahaha, I know the feeling. the teacher telling you to relax and focus on your breathing while at the same time you are all tense to reach on the posture. Sometimes you'd want to strangle the teacher or burst out laughing....I tend to do the latter quite often. Well yoga stengthens your joints, that's known by definition. As for the muscles, you'll gain strength in a totally different way. I find it har do to describe how but you become strong within. Maybe strength awareness, I don't know, it's a beautiful feeling. Hatha is quite easy by the way, I barely drop a sweat doing Hatha classes. Ashtanga flow is where at the end of the class I do the shavasana on a pool of sweat. Shavasana is very important, my favourite teacher used to say that the entire class is designed to be able to achieve shavasana (dead man posture) where you literally don't think of anything a lay dead there for a while.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yoga teaches one to express strength in a much more extended range of motion than traditional strength training. It's similar to gymnastics in that sense, although with a little less emphasis on strength and little more emphasis on flexibility. Both are excellent tools for active flexibility which is much more important than passive flexibility.

I do a bit of ashtanga vinyasa, although no longer in a class. It's exceptionally helpful for both surfing and rock climbing, especially the latter, as it helps to deepen the connection between mind and body, and helps me express strength out in extended ranges of motion.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I'm going to stick to the movie thread and this thread. I get far too irritated by people in the footballing parts of this forum, and just don't have time for it during the summer. I worked 326 hours last month, and am on pace for another 280 this month.

I just don't have the energy to expend on that stuff. Just looking at the meltdowns in the last week or so, amusing but I'd let myself get pulled into way too many arguments there. Like a moth to the flame. :lol:

It's quite funny to see some of the posters that were criticizing us for our reaction to the Barca loss, going into ridiculous meltdown mode this summer though. :D
its a ahame really, i found you one of the best members here when you were still active. but it really is irritating most of the time especially during meltdowns from some people. and yeah, it is funny how some that were moralizing now go full retard :D i hope you return to regular posting one day, when you find more time to do :tup:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

@Martin

inspiring :tup:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This 20 year old Colombian kid who won World Juniors at Almaty a couple months ago, and just absolutely crushed the Pan Ams a couple days ago. Super impressive. Snatched 150kg and cleaned 181kg. Looks like an amazing athlete.

Doing muscle-ups like it's no big deal:

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
A brief update:

Haven't been to the gym for 5 days, was supposed to go crazy this weekend but then I got hit by a cold. On the plus side, since I fell I'll thursday I've eaten:

A pizza
Three Burgers
Two portions of fries
A chocolate cake
A bag of cinamon bunns
A bag of M&M's
1.5l of coke

It's 3:20 am here and I just finished off a buttered baguette with parma ham.

STAHP EATING

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I like your take no prisoners approach :tup:

In other news I killed in the pool today. :boxing: When I started exercising 3 weeks ago, on my first swim, I did 1km in 40 minutes. That's very slow in case you're wondering. Today I cracked 30 minutes. A real swimmer can do it in 20 minutes.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
I like your take no prisoners approach :tup:

In other news I killed in the pool today. :boxing: When I started exercising 3 weeks ago, on my first swim, I did 1km in 40 minutes. That's very slow in case you're wondering. Today I cracked 30 minutes. A real swimmer can do it in 20 minutes.
Sick dude!

I've got my snatch technique down, so I can start building the weight up now! Started cleans today too, they're a tonne easier but confusing at the moment

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

So what changed your mind? Did you get fired from work?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Sick dude!

I've got my snatch technique down, so I can start building the weight up now! Started cleans today too, they're a tonne easier but confusing at the moment
Way to go, man! :tup:
Cleans are simple in a way, but with the weight in close, and not having to pull the bar as high to get under it, people have a tendency to not fully open up the joints, they fail to achieve triple extension and lose a tremendous amount of potential power and bar speed because of it. Snatch is much more instinctive to get into triple extension with high bar speed, because the height required on the bar, along with the wide grip which discourages utilization of the arm muscles (unlike a clean where many even intermediate lifters still add a little touch of arm lifting that is totally counterproductive).

My strength was on the low end for o-lifting, as I was cleaning 95%+ of my 1rm back squat, and cleaning my front squat 1rm. I had a tremendous ability to pull under the bar with speed and catch fully bottomed out. Same deal with snatch, I was very fast in getting under the bar. But in the end I max'd out because I never worked hard enough on increasing my base strength levels, so once I became a very fast and technically proficient lifter, I plateaued to a ridiculous extreme of several months because I hated working for just strength, and much preferred O-lifting and other explosive speed-strength work.

Of all three, jerk is the most technically demanding, and also the most frustrating by far. I was fucking horrible at it, always. Could never get the technique down for the split, so I always did a squat jerk instead.

Keep us up to date on your progress. I'm psyched you're enjoying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Two Chinese world record holding weightlifters (69kg and 77kg weight classes), messing around and doing flags. Super impressive.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Here's my 40kgs power snatch from last week, what do you recon? I find it a bit confusing to start the lift, but from the hang position i tend to be alright. (I stupidly used a power lift bar when I took this)

Holy shit, I just watched that video, just the casual 75kg weighted dip, I assume the next dude was going to do a 100kg?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Here's my 40kgs power snatch from last week, what do you recon? I find it a bit confusing to start the lift, but from the hang position i tend to be alright. (I stupidly used a power lift bar when I took this)

Holy shit, I just watched that video, just the casual 75kg weighted dip, I assume the next dude was going to do a 100kg?
Nice work Sam

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Holy $#@!, I just watched that video, just the casual 75kg weighted dip, I assume the next dude was going to do a 100kg?
Good work, man. You're actually getting nice and extended with your pull, which is really good for a beginner. It's hard not to just cheat with light weight, by cutting the pull short, and dipping quickly under the bar. It's nice to see your getting pretty much full extension in your pull.

The one serious qualm with your form there, is the width of your stance to catch the bar. Instead of pulling under the bar into a squat for the catch, you're splitting your feet out wide to help you drop under. This works at light weights, but will quickly become a more serious issue as the weight goes up. It even heightens the chance of injury.

There are a couple ways to stop this splitting occurring. One is to force your feet to stay on the ground. Most good O-lifters don't actually jump during the lift. As soon as your feet leave the ground you lose all expression of force, and stability for that matter. If anything, the heels lift, and then slam back into the floor as you drop under the bar, and this can sometimes cause a little foot shuffle slightly wider, but you really don't want to jump and spread your feet into a very wide sumo for the catch.

The second method is to begin the lift with feet a little narrower. You're starting with your feet pretty wide, so it wouldn't be a problem to start a little narrow. Hip-width foot position instead of slightly wider than shoulders. This will stop you from splitting quite as wide to catch.

Here's a video of what is probably one of the most perfectly executed Snatch's ever.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
That's a gnarly snatch!

I was really feeling weak in my knees when I landed wide and wanted to work on getting tighter, I thought it was my landing position, not my start, will give that a go!

My PT told me jump to build the explosive power, because when the weight goes up, I won't be able to jump but the move is the same, does that sound right?

I am working on my flexibility to get lower, my hamstrings/quads lock out just below my knees at the moment, so I'm doing halted overhead squats and squat/overhead press jumps in my warm up to get lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)