Gym and fitness (29 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You gotta be in caloric deficit, that's the most important thing to do if you wanna burn and see those abs. So you should light weights and focus on compound movements and do cardio (either running or a jump rope IMO). But you just have to eat less, or eat the same but increase your activity level.

--

Two more days and my semester and lectures are over so I will start gymming again. I'm planning to change my routing after a looong time of doing it, I think I'll give 5x5 a try now and see what I do.
stronglifts/bill star 5x5 ?

or did you mean something else

Buy on AliExpress.com
Apr 15, 2006
You gotta be in caloric deficit, that's the most important thing to do if you wanna burn and see those abs. So you should light weights and focus on compound movements and do cardio (either running or a jump rope IMO). But you just have to eat less, or eat the same but increase your activity level.
Will do. :tup:

About to do my snow day routine. 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, then run a mile.
A hundred? :eek: I can't even manage 10 pushups!

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
That. The one where you have A (squat, bench, rows) and B workouts and you do it 3 times a week.

I'm serious about my gains this year. I expect biggest results this year and HOPEFULLY no injuries.
I made massive strenght gains on that. its a really good schedule

http://nutribody.com/blog/post/Bill-Starrs-Intermediate-5x5-Workout.aspx

this is a common one, the page holds alot of info, and you can find more information on correct form further down the page

it also contains an excell file, wich you can use to see what weights you need to do. i used it as a template en transformed it a bit for more easy usage

This zip file contains an excell i used. its very user friendly.

you just put in your weight and reps, as low reps as possible, and it will do all the neccecary calculations for you

Attachments

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Cheers for that :tup:

Btw I started with really low weights, I wanna get my form better and start slowly. I think this program is a killer once you reach your weight that you hardly handle.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I'm not sure I totally understand this, especially with excell sheet. It looks like you have to increase weight for every rep, and on the last day you are doing three sets, but in excell table stands 5 reps. Can you please explain it to me???

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Basically, its a progressive schedule, that makes you increase weight each week, with a deload every 6th week(revert weight to previous week) to let recovery catch up.

First, in the top brackets, you fill in the biggest weight for how many reps (between 2 and 8) you can do. The excell calculates then your 5rep max, and the entire sheet.

You will notice, that the 4th week, you will do your calculated 5 rep max. the previous 3 weeks, you'll be doing less, to acclimatise to the schema, and to not hit the roof to early.

you will do 5 sets on monday, the fifth set is the most important one, the previous 4 are based on it like :
50% of 5th set
62.5% of 5th set
75% of 5th set
87.5% of 5th set
5th set

and that 5th set like i said, depended on the 5rm you calculated above.

Now on fryday, its diffrent, the first 4 sets are exactly the same. the 5th however, lets you increase the weight by 2.5%, but only for 3 reps. your theoretic 1rep max will be lower, but you will feel the new weight. added is a 6th set, that is the same as the third in weight, but for 8 reps. this is good for pump and microtrauma

if you succeeded to do 5 reps of the 5th set on monday, AND 3 reps of the 5th set on fryday, then your weights will increase by 2.5% for the next week.

Like this you will improve each week by 2.5% untill the 6th week, where you'll deload.
week 7-12 is where you will make most of the progress.

oh, and wednesday is actually easy, if you get 5 reps of the 4th set, next week weight +2.5%.

===========================================================================================================

Dule i would strongly recommand if you arent sure about form, to work on that for a while. this schedule will improve you so much, but the 5-3 rep is critical for strenght + muscle gains.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Dule i would strongly recommand if you arent sure about form, to work on that for a while. this schedule will improve you so much, but the 5-3 rep is critical for strenght + muscle gains.
I've started 5x5 but with really really low weights until I fix my form. I increase it every week and once I get to my max it will all be good.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Basically, its a progressive schedule, that makes you increase weight each week, with a deload every 6th week(revert weight to previous week) to let recovery catch up.

First, in the top brackets, you fill in the biggest weight for how many reps (between 2 and 8) you can do. The excell calculates then your 5rep max, and the entire sheet.

You will notice, that the 4th week, you will do your calculated 5 rep max. the previous 3 weeks, you'll be doing less, to acclimatise to the schema, and to not hit the roof to early.

you will do 5 sets on monday, the fifth set is the most important one, the previous 4 are based on it like :
50% of 5th set
62.5% of 5th set
75% of 5th set
87.5% of 5th set
5th set

and that 5th set like i said, depended on the 5rm you calculated above.

Now on fryday, its diffrent, the first 4 sets are exactly the same. the 5th however, lets you increase the weight by 2.5%, but only for 3 reps. your theoretic 1rep max will be lower, but you will feel the new weight. added is a 6th set, that is the same as the third in weight, but for 8 reps. this is good for pump and microtrauma

if you succeeded to do 5 reps of the 5th set on monday, AND 3 reps of the 5th set on fryday, then your weights will increase by 2.5% for the next week.

Like this you will improve each week by 2.5% untill the 6th week, where you'll deload.
week 7-12 is where you will make most of the progress.

oh, and wednesday is actually easy, if you get 5 reps of the 4th set, next week weight +2.5%.

===========================================================================================================

I've got it, at least I think I've got it :D I will probably try this program, as I'm really out of shape and I need something like this to get back to my usual self.

Thanks mate!!!

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I've started 5x5 but with really really low weights until I fix my form. I increase it every week and once I get to my max it will all be good.
Oh yes, you can offcourse just run this for like 24 weeks, with a deload each 6th week.

I've got it, at least I think I've got it :D I will probably try this program, as I'm really out of shape and I need something like this to get back to my usual self.

Thanks mate!!!
No problem man :)

But like Dule, might wanna start a bit lower so you get the form right ;)

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
So today was my first day of training after a long break. I've tried program Zach posted, and I'm satisfied considering it was my first day. The program seems nice, it doesn't take too much time which is very important for me. The two things I didn't like is weight calculation because there is no way I could find a way to put 69kg on my bar (this is just example), so in every set I had to increase/decrease weight to get normal weight, and because of this it's hard to keep track on how much I lifted.

Also I think I'll need to increase weight in my bench press because I hardly felt any pump in my muscles, only the last set felt good.

Still I will definitely stick to this program for at least 7 weeks and see where it goes.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
increasing the weight, doesnt give you pump. high rep sets give you pump.

Before starting the 5*5, you could do 1 or 2 warmup sets with a very low weight, but like 15-20 reps. that will pump your muscles up quite a bit, and makes sure your blood and thus nutrient flow is optimal

For example, i started benching again today after my rotator injury and it was a bit like this

20*40kg warmup
5*60kg warmup
5*80kg warmup

5*100 set1
5*120 set2
2*135 set 3

first warmup, pumped up muscles, the other two were to acclimatise my rotator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)