Gym and fitness (14 Viewers)

Kidtaf

May 20, 2009
personally I agree with Dule, "bulking" is not my cup of tea but it is possible to put on lean muscle weight and stay ripped all year round. Since my first post in the thread I have changed my stance on "Lifestyle".. It's normal... Sometimes people find different protocols that suit their needs better than others.. And it is possible to put lean muscle on and stay "ripped" year round and muscles take the same amount of time it's all about training them properly. Unless you use steroids.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Bulking simply does not exist. Its a complete myth that any fats or carbs will develop muscle. They give you energy to work out, but they don't directly grow muscle like protein.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Before you go up in weight try to bust 8 reps out and maybe change to cable flies for a change when you feel you're strong enough to go higher. That's how I shift my routine around - when I'm strong enough for more weight (which usually occurs in 3-4 weeks if I'm working hard) then I change my exercises for the coming month and by the time I'm back to doing dumbbell flies for example, I'm lifting a whole 10kgs more than I was 2 months before.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:tup:

Btw have you ever experienced a forearm pain while lifting barbell? It hurts me when I lift somewhat higher weights, like 35kg+ But it's not the muscle, more like bone itself. It's a sharp pain and it stays for a while, even for a couple of weeks when I touch it I'd still feel the pain. It's pretty annoying but I think it only happens with barbell.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
:tup:

Btw have you ever experienced a forearm pain while lifting barbell? It hurts me when I lift somewhat higher weights, like 35kg+ But it's not the muscle, more like bone itself. It's a sharp pain and it stays for a while, even for a couple of weeks when I touch it I'd still feel the pain. It's pretty annoying but I think it only happens with barbell.
I used to have the exact same problem. Are you talking barbell bench or barbell curls? I get sharp pains in my wrists which shoot up a little bit but only when I'm doing bicep curls with a barbell but the pain only lasts a matter of seconds before it goes away. Before that though I was experiencing pain in my wrists and forearms constantly and I ended up taking a 3 week break and began when the pain went away. When I went back to the gym the problem miraculously disappeared but I'm always still very wary about putting too much pressure on my wrists. It probably has something to do with your grip or where your hands are placed on the bar which is putting your wrists in an awkward position which compounded with high weights can put a lot of pressure on your forearms. Play around with some different grips without compromising proper form or safety or use an Ezy bar (if its curls that are causing your pain) and if it keeps happening then you should probably address it and see a physio. If you're really desperate you could wear gloves which is pretty much what most body builders do simply because their wrists can't handle the immense pressure of so much weight.

Just to specify - The pain I get is fairly mild when I'm in the middle of a set. Its when I put the weight down and loosen my grip on the bar that it gets properly uncomfortable. That's when the real pain starts but I just shake it off and it goes away in like 15 seconds.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I used to have the exact same problem. Are you talking barbell bench or barbell curls? I get sharp pains in my wrists which shoot up a little bit but only when I'm doing bicep curls with a barbell but the pain only lasts a matter of seconds before it goes away. Before that though I was experiencing pain in my wrists and forearms constantly and I ended up taking a 3 week break and began when the pain went away. When I went back to the gym the problem miraculously disappeared but I'm always still very wary about putting too much pressure on my wrists. It probably has something to do with your grip or where your hands are placed on the bar which is putting your wrists in an awkward position which compounded with high weights can put a lot of pressure on your forearms. Play around with some different grips without compromising proper form or safety or use an Ezy bar (if its curls that are causing your pain) and if it keeps happening then you should probably address it and see a physio. If you're really desperate you could wear gloves which is pretty much what most body builders do simply because their wrists can't handle the immense pressure of so much weight.
I'm talking about barbell curls. But it's not wrist, even though I had problems with them too. I'm not sure different grip would help for this, it's this area. I'll try to use different grip but I think I already did and it was all the same...

Attachments

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Its hard to say. I'm no doctor. So its literally in the middle of your forearm closer to your elbow? My pain went from the outside of the wrist (if my palms are facing down) and ran into the middle of my forearm. I think we experienced the exact same problem. I still maintain that grip is a usually a major contributor to forearm pain when you're lifting heavy weights especially with barbell curls. Remember that there are nerves and ligaments that begin in the wrist and hand and run all the way up your forearm. I always assumed it was a nerve or a ligament issue. The bones in your forearms are strong enough to take the weight without fracturing.

Like I said, try the Ezy bar instead and see if the grip makes any difference but only do it after a bit of rest. If the pain is as bad as you're describing then the best thing you can do before trying new methods is rest your wrists and forearms until the pain subsides completely. Then go and try the Ezy bar, bro. You might even want to add some forearm exercises to your routine. If it still hurts after that then you ought to see a physio about it.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Yea, nice to have you back here.

How's your progress going and watcha doing nowadays?
Bit up and down. I lost a major amount of weight in Italy, ended up putting all the muscle back on though as soon as I got back and was getting to benching 90kgs. And now I've got exams so I'm losing the weight again but gonna get back to it on Thursday probably with a different routine than I'm used to doing. Can't be massive anymore its not a good look when you're 5ft 9 and have a small head :p so I'll probably be doing something with a little bit of a higher rep range and way more cardio. I'm hopefully going to get seriously ripped within the next few months and go find some slarrts to get my gear off in front of.

If you want to know anything else holla at me, wog.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Bit up and down. I lost a major amount of weight in Italy, ended up putting all the muscle back on though as soon as I got back and was getting to benching 90kgs. And now I've got exams so I'm losing the weight again but gonna get back to it on Thursday probably with a different routine than I'm used to doing. Can't be massive anymore its not a good look when you're 5ft 9 and have a small head :p so I'll probably be doing something with a little bit of a higher rep range and way more cardio. I'm hopefully going to get seriously ripped within the next few months and go find some slarrts to get my gear off in front of.

If you want to know anything else holla at me, wog.
Sure, cool :kiss:

we should have our own thread to post topless and discuss progress.

and this isn't Rab's double account :D
I only have old pictures, but it's interesting... at least to watch :tuttosport:

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)