Gym and fitness (15 Viewers)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
I'd disagree. Sprinting makes you burn a lot of calories, but that's energy, not fat. You actually use sugar and don't burn fat.

Form what I understand, it's better to have a low intensity work out,at around 60% of your max heart rate (for a 20-25 year old, that would be +/- 126-132 Heatbeats/minute).
Why do you think women are training with leight weights and long, slow runs? These exercices actually burn fat and don't grow muscles.

That's a pretty weak argument. Look at long distance runners. They're skinny as hell. Sprinters are more muscle based, as they need more explosivity.

And btw, football players also rely on sprints, which they do several times a week in training, and that didn't stop some of them to have a small belly.

bullshit !!

you burn fat as well with sprinting...and your metabolism remains high many hours after a sprint workout, forcing your body to burn more calories and fat

you use the example of women at the gym with slow runs, but let me ask you this...how many of those women every actually get into shape, or ppl who are on the cardio machine for 45 minutes at a time ?

Your body adjusts to those types of workouts rather quickly...

And you mention marathon runners...do they have anything but skin on their bodies ?? I see no fat or muscle for that matter

Buy on AliExpress.com

Geof

May 14, 2004
bullshit !!

you burn fat as well with sprinting...and your metabolism remains high many hours after a sprint workout, forcing your body to burn more calories and fat

you use the example of women at the gym with slow runs, but let me ask you this...how many of those women every actually get into shape, or ppl who are on the cardio machine for 45 minutes at a time ?

Your body adjusts to those types of workouts rather quickly...

And you mention marathon runners...do they have anything but skin on their bodies ?? I see no fat or muscle for that matter
See that's what I meant. The difference between growing muscles and losing fat.
People using cardio machines for 45 min don't get great bodies, because they don't grow muscles, but they do lose weight.

Anyway, scientists are still discussing the matter it seems. No one knows for sure, but low intensity is more often prescribed because it involves less sweating and all, and thus patients keep it up for a longer time.

Depends on the person and motivation, I guess.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The thing is, if you build muscle and sprint, you burn more calories. Thus you need more food. Fat people like to eat. By building muscle and sprinting, their eating is suddenly justified.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
See that's what I meant. The difference between growing muscles and losing fat.
People using cardio machines for 45 min don't get great bodies, because they don't grow muscles, but they do lose weight.

Anyway, scientists are still discussing the matter it seems. No one knows for sure, but low intensity is more often prescribed because it involves less sweating and all, and thus patients keep it up for a longer time.

Depends on the person and motivation, I guess.
not at all as a matter of fact not only is Vin right but sprinters have less body fat than those engaging in marathons http://www.townsendletter.com/FebMarch2007/hormonal0207.htm

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I also tottaly agree with Vin, sprinta are more effective in burning fat. When you are jogging at the begginig you will lose let's say 300 kalories in 30min, but after some time you will improve and you gonna run for 1h but still you will loose same amount of kalories adn that's why sprints are better and they are keeping your metabolism working for many hours after work out. Also important thing in loosing weight is avoid eating sugar or easier said keep your sugar level low cuz in that way your body will release glycogen who is taking energy from fat adn eventually you will lose some of it.

Geof

May 14, 2004
ok, well I'm no expert so I wont argue further.

But then how come that cardio machines give a low intsensity program when you select losing weight options? are they just wrong?

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
ok, well I'm no expert so I wont argue further.

But then how come that cardio machines give a low intsensity program when you select losing weight options? are they just wrong?
old school thinking...but the times have changed, and more experts are realizing that interval training (sprinting) along with a good weight-training program are the way to go to be in shape, build quality muscle, and have a low bodyfat percentage

Now, we could debate exactly what types of weight-training programs are the best to build quality muscle, and make you stronger (and in many of our cases stronger and faster on the football field)

Me personally, I use a lot of functional training exercises, as well as core and crossfit programs as well

Vinman

Jul 16, 2002
The thing is, if you build muscle and sprint, you burn more calories. Thus you need more food. Fat people like to eat. By building muscle and sprinting, their eating is suddenly justified.
all depends what type of food their putting into the engine

Max

Jul 15, 2003
old school thinking...but the times have changed, and more experts are realizing that interval training (sprinting) along with a good weight-training program are the way to go to be in shape, build quality muscle, and have a low bodyfat percentage

Now, we could debate exactly what types of weight-training programs are the best to build quality muscle, and make you stronger (and in many of our cases stronger and faster on the football field)

Me personally, I use a lot of functional training exercises, as well as core and crossfit programs as well
My professor here for exercise physiology was the guy who initially did that study.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Interval training isn't quite the same as sprinting though.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Changing the topic slightly: I've been offered to work at the airport, packing and unpacking luggage from airplanes. I'll only do this for 6 months or so and it's not a full time job (75%).

My question:
Will this be good exercise or will I just be damaging my back? I don't mind some hard work but I don't want to do something that I'll regret all my life. At the same time, I won't be doing it too long and getting paid for physical work is tempting. What do you think?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Changing the topic slightly: I've been offered to work at the airport, packing and unpacking luggage from airplanes. I'll only do this for 6 months or so and it's not a full time job (75%).

My question:
Will this be good exercise or will I just be damaging my back? I don't mind some hard work but I don't want to do something that I'll regret all my life. At the same time, I won't be doing it too long and getting paid for physical work is tempting. What do you think?
It would probably be alright as long as you used proper lifting technique. You know with you legs and shit.

Nejc

May 13, 2006
i had a test to play football for one of the best slovenian teams and they said my technique is good enough, but I need to improve shot power and gain some weight, so I want to ask what workout is the best for improving shot power

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
i had a test to play football for one of the best slovenian teams and they said my technique is good enough, but I need to improve shot power and gain some weight, so I want to ask what workout is the best for improving shot power
The only thing I can think of is strenghtening your quadriceps, but more than anything shot power is based on timing.

BIG DADDY!!!

Mar 12, 2004
I have been going to the gym on and off for a few years now but havnt been in a few months.

Im looking to get back into it.

Should I just do cardio for a few weeks to get myself into shape or combine cardio and some light weights?

And if its the latter whats best doing cardio first then weights or starting with weights first?

After I used to do my cardio I was usually to tired to lift weights.

Someones advice would be helpful..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)