Gym and fitness (15 Viewers)

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Crossfit is definitely even worse idea with the compound movements etc if you ain't aware of the right techniques. Especially when you get tired there's a big chance to get injuried, so i wouldn't recommend it for nothing else than own bodyweight excercises when you're somewhat beginner or not aiming to be a competitive crossfitter. Those push ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats, box jumps etc should be completely fine in the beginning to boost up your vo2 max and have stronger muscles. The best thing with crossfit is that it doesn't require much time and you get something for your lungs and muscles. Another thing i'v found very useful indoor season to keep myself fit is indoor rowing. I don't really like to ski or anything, running is out of the question in the winter so rowing works perfectly there. 30sec intervals, 30sec fast and then 30sec slowly and you can pretty much do 10 sets, 1 set being 30+30seconds so it takes about 10 minutes after the gym to do and there's a guaranteed sweat around and your lungs are pretty much dead.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Why don't you run during the winter? I live in Sweden and find myself out for a run from time to time time whether the ground is covered with snow or ice.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Why don't you run during the winter? I live in Sweden and find myself out for a run from time to time time whether the ground is covered with snow or ice.
I could definitely run and i really like it, but i'd rather keep it as a summer tradition, early mornings etc when im having my summer break. There's enough "running" when playing these all kind of racquet sports, then there's football once a week and i don't want to overload my knees and joints because of the contact that running movement creates. It would be better to do swimming, skiing, cycling and as im doing nowdays, doing the rowing for the vo2 max training. Gladly i haven't had any issues with my knees, hips or any joints but if i want to continue to do all these things when i get older, im pretty sure it's way better to leave the running minimium as possible.

Jun 6, 2015
Running the right way can actually be good for your joints. The problems occur when you run with inadequate technique and/or try to progress too fast. So basically the same problems that you have with many sport related injuries. Muscle unbalances are also an other thing to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Running the tight way can actually be good for your joints. The problems occur when you run with inadequate technique and/or try to progress too fast. So basically the same problems that you have with many sport related injuries. Muscle unbalances are also an other thing to keep an eye on.
Never meant anything to do with the technique, it's just that human body is designed in a certain way and when you have enough kilometres in your body, there will be issues so i will find it way better to keep my vo2 max there where it should be by doing different type of exercises for it instead of running. There's alot of triathlonists and people who dedicated their lifes to distance running or any type of endurance based sports, almost all of them are facing certain issues with hips, knees, joints etc and it's literally inevitable if you're doing something your whole life, but if there's a possibility to actually to keep yourself in a great shape by having different variations for your fitness, i think you can "prolong" your career alot.

Jun 6, 2015
Never meant anything to do with the technique, it's just that human body is designed in a certain way and when you have enough kilometres in your body, there will be issues so i will find it way better to keep my vo2 max there where it should be by doing different type of exercises for it instead of running. There's alot of triathlonists and people who dedicated their lifes to distance running or any type of endurance based sports, almost all of them are facing certain issues with hips, knees, joints etc and it's literally inevitable if you're doing something your whole life, but if there's a possibility to actually to keep yourself in a great shape by having different variations for your fitness, i think you can "prolong" your career alot.
That's not true at all, or at least there is little evidence to suggest it's true. Our bodies and joints are made to move and running is actually one of the most natural movements you can do with your body. However as I mentioned some people don't know how to run. Running in moderation with the right form won't do any harm to most people, quite the opposite actually. Of course some people might be genetically more prone to injuries or their bodies are simply not ideal for running (overweight, overpronation etc.). Doing lots of different kinds of movements is definitely beneficial for your overall fitness.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
That's not true at all, or at least there is little evidence to suggest it's true. Our bodies and joints are made to move and running is actually one of the most natural movements you can do with your body. However as I mentioned some people don't know how to run. Running in moderation with the right form won't do any harm to most people, quite the opposite actually. Of course some people might be genetically more prone to injuries or their bodies are simply not ideal for running (overweight, overpronation etc.). Doing lots of different kinds of movements is definitely beneficial for your overall fitness.
Once again you're missing the point. Our bodies and joints are made to move yes, running being one of the most natural movements for us being yes as well but doing that 30 years row, running somewhat hundred of kilometers per week over that 365 days a year, it will have those side effects and that's something you can't really deny whether you want or not. If we are talking about casual people, it ain't harmful as long as you have a proper technique but if we're talking about marathoners, any type of of distance running or endurance based sports which are requiring millions of reps and steps, it's inevitable to have some sort of wearing out on certain parts of your body.

Jun 6, 2015
Once again you're missing the point. Our bodies and joints are made to move yes, running being one of the most natural movements for us being yes as well but doing that 30 years row, running somewhat hundred of kilometers per week over that 365 days a year, it will have those side effects and that's something you can't really deny whether you want or not. If we are talking about casual people, it ain't harmful as long as you have a proper technique but if we're talking about marathoners, any type of of distance running or endurance based sports which are requiring millions of reps and steps, it's inevitable to have some sort of wearing out on certain parts of your body.
Perhaps you should read my first and second posts again. Obviously you can overdo anything, it's not really related to running as an activity. There are many studies that show that osteoarthritis is actually less common with runners (might be due to lower BMI).

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I could definitely run and i really like it, but i'd rather keep it as a summer tradition, early mornings etc when im having my summer break. There's enough "running" when playing these all kind of racquet sports, then there's football once a week and i don't want to overload my knees and joints because of the contact that running movement creates. It would be better to do swimming, skiing, cycling and as im doing nowdays, doing the rowing for the vo2 max training. Gladly i haven't had any issues with my knees, hips or any joints but if i want to continue to do all these things when i get older, im pretty sure it's way better to leave the running minimium as possible.
I started mountain biking to elongate my running career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)