Gym and fitness (4 Viewers)

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I'm talking about "muscle memory". Ya know, the ability to recover your strength and muscles faster than a complete newbie cause you worked out in the past.
You should get back dem gains quicker than when you first started. You don't have to figure everything out from scratch and learn what works for you.

At least that's my experience.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
My guess is that you should get back dem gains quicker than when you first started. You don't have to figure everything out from scratch and learn what works for you.
Yes, I think I should recover most of my gains in 3-4 months.

This time I'll take a different approach tho. I'll only train for strength and let the mass gains come naturally.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone here ran a marathon?

Any of you fitness folks take ice baths?

If any of you have please reply. I have further questions.

- - - Updated - - -

It’s fun. Though I only run like one marathon a year. A couple halfs. Some 10ks. I gym too but I enjoy running.

As for the knees. It’s 50/50 some people have problems, others don’t.
How you recover from marathon. Do you take ice baths? Do you eat more the week following marathon? Do you go after marathon a week without exercise? I read some specific websites they say you shouldnt run or do any major exercise for a week. And you can go back to your standard running/pace like 3 weeks after marathon. But then some websites said you should actually go for a walk next couple days for some blood circulation reasons. Also what is your average time and pace if you dont mind telling? Also did your times/pace change like say for better (or worse)? Do you have a target finishing time when you start or just go where the wind blows?

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Has anyone here ran a marathon?

Any of you fitness folks take ice baths?

If any of you have please reply. I have further questions.

- - - Updated - - -

How you recover from marathon. Do you take ice baths? Do you eat more the week following marathon? Do you go after marathon a week without exercise? I read some specific websites they say you shouldnt run or do any major exercise for a week. And you can go back to your standard running/pace like 3 weeks after marathon. But then some websites said you should actually go for a walk next couple days for some blood circulation reasons. Also what is your average time and pace if you dont mind telling? Also did your times/pace change like say for better (or worse)? Do you have a target finishing time when you start or just go where the wind blows?
I ran a 440 marathon in November but I probably could have gone a lot faster. It was my first full so I started slow. My target was 440. But I’ve run several half marathons and my time is usually right at 2 hours. I usually shoot for 9 - 10 minute miles. I find a target time helps your training more than anything. Normal running times usually improve for me after a race, especially at 10k and 5k distances but then I go back to running a couple times a week and concentrating more on weightlifting.

As for recovery. Everyone is different. Some people are able to run the next day. I took 3 days off and then started light running. Then I found out I had injured my knee so I had to do a couple weeks of rest anyway.

I didn’t change much to my diet before or after the race. I’m not an elite runner so there wouldn’t be much benefit. My normal diet is already pretty healthy so just added more carbs a couple times a week, a little more rice and pasta after long runs. Immediately after the marathon, I had some Pho and beer and a hot shower.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I ran a 440 marathon in November but I probably could have gone a lot faster. It was my first full so I started slow. My target was 440. But I’ve run several half marathons and my time is usually right at 2 hours. I usually shoot for 9 - 10 minute miles. I find a target time helps your training more than anything. Normal running times usually improve for me after a race, especially at 10k and 5k distances but then I go back to running a couple times a week and concentrating more on weightlifting.

As for recovery. Everyone is different. Some people are able to run the next day. I took 3 days off and then started light running. Then I found out I had injured my knee so I had to do a couple weeks of rest anyway.

I didn’t change much to my diet before or after the race. I’m not an elite runner so there wouldn’t be much benefit. My normal diet is already pretty healthy so just added more carbs a couple times a week, a little more rice and pasta after long runs. Immediately after the marathon, I had some Pho and beer and a hot shower.
Thank you for the reply.
I dont personally believe in this "if you run half 2h then full marathon will be 4h dead". Especially if you are still beginner in marathon. Your body will get more tired 2nd part of the race. Also pacing. You might run in your best pace and then body cant cope full distance. Or if you dont drink/eat enough during the race cramps.
Personally i feel there is huge difference in surface as well. I started running seriously last summer. I run in trail/forest. Ive now completed a year there and i have had no issues with my knees. But i ran on pavement once and i def felt it was harder for my knees. And from what i have read surface IS the main issue with injury issues. Others are bad prep/warm up. And pick right shoes of course

Just going further what is your main motivation? Bucket list kind of thing? Or you have long term goals like say every year try to improve time by 5-10 mins? Or just fitness or smth else? Also when you run do you have like a pace setter/friend or you run on your own?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Thank you for the reply.
I dont personally believe in this "if you run half 2h then full marathon will be 4h dead". Especially if you are still beginner in marathon. Your body will get more tired 2nd part of the race. Also pacing. You might run in your best pace and then body cant cope full distance. Or if you dont drink/eat enough during the race cramps.
Personally i feel there is huge difference in surface as well. I started running seriously last summer. I run in trail/forest. Ive now completed a year there and i have had no issues with my knees. But i ran on pavement once and i def felt it was harder for my knees. And from what i have read surface IS the main issue with injury issues. Others are bad prep/warm up. And pick right shoes of course

Just going further what is your main motivation? Bucket list kind of thing? Or you have long term goals like say every year try to improve time by 5-10 mins? Or just fitness or smth else? Also when you run do you have like a pace setter/friend or you run on your own?
I wanted to see if I could do it. I really enjoyed the training and the event itself. There’s nothing like running with 1000s of people and having others cheer you on. I would like to get my half marathon down under 2 hours and my full marathon down under 4:20. I train on my own, but I’ve run since I was 14 so I can find my pace pretty easily. During the race, there are usually pacers. They are volunteers that run at whatever pace you’re looking to hit, they’ll have a sign with them and you can follow them if you’re unsure of how fast to go.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I wanted to see if I could do it. I really enjoyed the training and the event itself. There’s nothing like running with 1000s of people and having others cheer you on. I would like to get my half marathon down under 2 hours and my full marathon down under 4:20. I train on my own, but I’ve run since I was 14 so I can find my pace pretty easily. During the race, there are usually pacers. They are volunteers that run at whatever pace you’re looking to hit, they’ll have a sign with them and you can follow them if you’re unsure of how fast to go.
Is this like a general thing or just smth practiced in america?

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty interesting you said you have beer and hot shower. The research ive done says you should do cold shower or bath for your legs after marathon and i doubt alcohol is considered a good recovery supply. Then again you have done this since 14.

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Is this like a general thing or just smth practiced in america?

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty interesting you said you have beer and hot shower. The research ive done says you should do cold shower or bath for your legs after marathon and i doubt alcohol is considered a good recovery supply. Then again you have done this since 14.
I believe it’s standard at least in Europe.

Haha well I’m not an elite athlete so I don’t need to be super careful with my recovery. I also had a lot of electrolytes, water, recovery fluids, etc directly after the race. My first meal was pho and a corona. Pho is a pretty solid soup filled with protien, carbs, etc.

The most important part is the training. And keeping a consistent diet. Do that well and everything else is easier. I wouldn’t even worry about recovery until you’ve run a 17 mile run.

Wittl

Contributor
Feb 21, 2017
Yes, I think I should recover most of my gains in 3-4 months.

This time I'll take a different approach tho. I'll only train for strength and let the mass gains come naturally.
You wanna get stronger than your english gf, right? When does she come to Bolivia? In 3-4 months?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
My shoulder impingement doesn't seem to be getting any better a couple of months later. I'm probably being too impatient and stupid but it's pretty frustrating.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
My shoulder impingement doesn't seem to be getting any better a couple of months later. I'm probably being too impatient and stupid but it's pretty frustrating.
Shoulder injuries are some of the toughest to recover from. It's really all about allowing the joint enough downtime to recover and then easing back in slowly with both light strength and mobility rehab. It can take several months to a year to get a healthy, mobile, strong shoulder joint back again.

Fingers crossed for you, dude.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I believe it’s standard at least in Europe.

Haha well I’m not an elite athlete so I don’t need to be super careful with my recovery. I also had a lot of electrolytes, water, recovery fluids, etc directly after the race. My first meal was pho and a corona. Pho is a pretty solid soup filled with protien, carbs, etc.

The most important part is the training. And keeping a consistent diet. Do that well and everything else is easier. I wouldn’t even worry about recovery until you’ve run a 17 mile run.
But i have. Completed my first marathon this week.

Screenshot_2019-06-08-20-38-45.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)