Gym and fitness (26 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
i don't think they're barbell rows, he's just not going all the way down on his deadlifts. On barbell rows you use your arms and upper back instead of lower back
When looking at the mechanic and the target muscle group of the excercise, what he does is a low row, that is similar to what a barbell row does + a bit of lumbar area work.
What he does, isnt remotely alike a deadlift.

A deadlift starts from the floor. Lift it. Then, you can chose between

a) Short pauze, rebrace and lift again, like my trainingpartner does here. (highly recommanded for sumo stance). You should probably do this.

b)fully hit the weight on the floor, keeping tension and extending the lift, like i'm doing from blocks in this vid from 14 months ago. (builds godlike spinal erectors for conventional deadlift, but is a HUGE strain on the entire posterior chain)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
When looking at the mechanic and the target muscle group of the excercise, what he does is a low row, that is similar to what a barbell row does + a bit of lumbar area work.

a) Short pauze, rebrace and lift again, like my trainingpartner does here. (highly recommanded for sumo stance). You should probably do this.

b)fully hit the weight on the floor, keeping tension and extending the lift, like i'm doing from blocks in this vid from 14 months ago. (builds godlike spinal erectors for conventional deadlift, but is a HUGE strain on the entire posterior chain)

The link doesn't work, but you're a fucking beast man.

Thanks guys :tup:

And just for the record, I would perform the full deadlift movement, but just not touch the weights to the floor. I would make it hover off the ground and just keep going until I finish the set.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

Okay but in a barbell row you are using your arms and upper back to lift the bar. Very different mechanism unless something is being lost in translation

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The link doesn't work, but you're a fucking beast man.

Thanks guys :tup:

And just for the record, I would perform the full deadlift movement, but just not touch the weights to the floor. I would make it hover off the ground and just keep going until I finish the set.
Then its not a deadlift movement, but a low row.

Do what my training partner does :

- - - Updated - - -

Okay but in a barbell row you are using your arms and upper back to lift the bar. Very different mechanism unless something is being lost in translation
The thing he does is much closer to a low row, then to an actual deadlift.

A deadlift will target the entire posterior chain to work as one mechanical unit. You start from the floor, on boxes(as in my vid) or on a deficit but the weight is stationary. The entire purpose is to make an explosive movement which requires a rather significant weight.

In order of activation : Hamstrings (sec), glutes (tert), lumbar tendons (prim), spinal erectors (prim+), trapezius.

You can buld everything except spinal erectors from isolation, those require this exact lift in order to grow and become stronger.

You cannot hover a deadlift. That does exceptional damage to the intevertebral discs and lumbar tendons. The only exception is a 1+1/2 deadlift which is a very advanced excercise that no one here should think

This is a 1+1/2 deadlift at the end of my winter bulk. That this is really the lowest you can go without extending all the way down. Oh and you should offcourse wear a belt.

He's 'hovering the floor". Meaning the weight is pathetic. Meaning he's not doing anything with his spinal erectors and trapezius muscle. Just some activation of hamstrings (like a stiff legged dl), and straining of the lumbar region. In fact, aside from the lattisimus dorsi activation when contracting the ellbows, its is using the same muscles as with a low row.

Deadlifts build huge amounts of strenghts, and godlike spinal erectors

"hovering" barbell stuff, strains the back, and at its best is stretching your hamstrings a bit.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Im not really sure if I should add deadlift to my schedule. It seems like there is a huge upside in terms og building muscle and strengtht, while you risk fucking up your back permanently if you do it slightly wrong

Sendt fra min SM-N910F med Tapatalk

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Im not really sure if I should add deadlift to my schedule. It seems like there is a huge upside in terms og building muscle and strengtht, while you risk fucking up your back permanently if you do it slightly wrong

I'd absolutely add it, it's an immensely satisfying lift. Just start with low weight and practice until you get the form right, you'll be fine. Remember to never round your back though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz35.htm

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I'd absolutely add it, it's an immensely satisfying lift. Just start with low weight and practice until you get the form right, you'll be fine. Remember to never round your back though.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz35.htm
Werent you the one doing them wrong? 😃. Im really iffy with this lift for some reason. I'd like to have 2 days of 5x5 dl, squat and bench per week and just do pushup, pullups and abs at home in between.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Werent you the one doing them wrong? ��. Im really iffy with this lift for some reason. I'd like to have 2 days of 5x5 dl, squat and bench per week and just do pushup, pullups and abs at home in between.
I was doing exactly what Zach was doing in the video he posted, so apparently not "wrong" per say :p. I was too at first, you always hear horror stories of back injuries so it's not exactly unjustified. But like any other lift, as long as you practice form in the beginning before moving up you'll be fine. If you're really that worried about it, you could always just ask someone in your gym that's more experienced with deadlifts if they can watch you and make sure your form is correct. That'll probably be more help than anyone here can really provide being as none of us can see you do it.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Deadlifts have the insane advantage that it targets the posterior chain, which is the last part of the body to go under. And that the main target group, spinal erectors, can ONLY be trained via deadlift.

i'm glad to help, but can you give me an idea of :

- # of trainings per week
- training lenght
- what are you currently doing when

- - - Updated - - -

I was doing exactly what Zach was doing in the video he posted, so apparently not "wrong" per say :p. I was too at first, you always hear horror stories of back injuries so it's not exactly unjustified. But like any other lift, as long as you practice form in the beginning before moving up you'll be fine. If you're really that worried about it, you could always just ask someone in your gym that's more experienced with deadlifts if they can watch you and make sure your form is correct. That'll probably be more help than anyone here can really provide being as none of us can see you do it.
You shouldnt be doing 1+1/2 deadlifts. Its something sumo deadlifters or arched back conventional lifters do about 2-4 times in 22 weeks

Its that much of a strain. But you arent strained at all. Which means, the weight is far to light, and your progress is lacking

Be like my training bro, and copy his excellent style. Conventional or sumo, its up to you

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Deadlifts have the insane advantage that it targets the posterior chain, which is the last part of the body to go under. And that the main target group, spinal erectors, can ONLY be trained via deadlift.

i'm glad to help, but can you give me an idea of :

- # of trainings per week
- training lenght
- what are you currently doing when

- - - Updated - - -

You shouldnt be doing 1+1/2 deadlifts. Its something sumo deadlifters or arched back conventional lifters do about 2-4 times in 22 weeks

Its that much of a strain. But you arent strained at all. Which means, the weight is far to light, and your progress is lacking

Be like my training bro, and copy his excellent style. Conventional or sumo, its up to you
It's very straining, trust me :p. Next week I will follow these examples though, and I guess maybe up the weight a bit.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
5 weeks since I started stronglifts 5x5 and what I thought was a fun programme is getting brutal to do. The 5 pound increase per training is nothing when you start at 50% but now its getting rough. The only place I cant seem to make progress is the overhead press.

Id recommend this to anyone Who can go to the gym three times per week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)