Gym and fitness (101 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They are outdoor running shoes, was your question about running on a treadmill?
Both outdoor and treadmill running shoes. I don't like the treadmill, I don't use it much. For warming up maybe. But it's a good alternative if you don't like going outside when it's freezing or raining.

i have about 12 pairs of Adidas trainers, but i have running shoes for running outdoors, 1 pair adidas and one pair reebok,standard trainers do not give you the support you need for doing 10k
I don't really do 10k. I run distances up to 5k, which is enough for a soccer player. Given the fact that you run 5k at a reasonable pace, I pick up my feet pretty fast. I don't like running shoes that offer a lot of support and cushioning because they mess up my running form. They make me overstride and such, because I don't "feel" what I am doing, if that makes any sense.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I don't really do 10k. I run distances up to 5k, which is enough for a soccer player. Given the fact that you run 5k at a reasonable pace, I pick up my feet pretty fast. I don't like running shoes that offer a lot of support and cushioning because they mess up my running form. They make me overstride and such, because I don't "feel" what I am doing, if that makes any sense.
no, i get what you mean, i used to use a pair of really thin-soled Adidas trainers for running but when i was running rond Arthurs seat i felt every single stone in the ground and my form must have been poor as i suffered from shin-splints, since using a proper running shoe that decreased. again though, its all a matter of comfort in eac person

that said i have now started cycling again instead of running so that i can cycle to-and-from work and try and burn some fat

What kind of tamp on do you recommend Bobby?
tampon? my missus uses lil-ets and swears by them

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
The great thing about the H Street is that it offers no stability whatsoever. Which in turn makes your lower legs a lot stronger. The problem with the absolute lack of cushioning is that you have to have good running form. It's like running with spikes on concrete basically.

The Adizero is the more reasonable shoe. It's not quite a trainer, but it's not as extreme as the H Street. I prefer the H Street myself, but the Adizero is better for most.
No stability yeah but I feel uncomfortable in them somehow *(as for the running part of course).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No stability yeah but I feel uncomfortable in them somehow *(as for the running part of course).
Thing is they're only suitable for one type of running. Most shoes are like that though. There's a huge debate on heelstriking, midfootstriking and forefootstriking and all I know is that I don't feel comfortable heelstriking and that it really hurts my knees. This is why a lot of running shoes who force me to run that way hurt. But there's a lot of conflicting ideas and if you for example feel more comfortable heelstriking, who am I to say it's wrong? But if you do heelstrike, the H Street is obviously not your shoe.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Meh, I've got 8 pairs of football shoes. And I take so much care of them that there are no signs of wear and tear whatsoever. Sometimes I wish there was so I could buy a new pair.

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
So let's have some figure people...what are you benching, squatting and dead lifting at the moment? 110kg, 120kg and 125kg respectively...need to add another 10 prob for each one but not bad overall I think for my weight (75kg)...felt pretty good recently in training...able to keep down people when rolling fairly easily...

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I haven't deadlifted or benched in over 2 years. Last time I squatted was probably six months or so ago and I repped 225 lbs until I fell over.

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
I haven't deadlifted or benched in over 2 years. Last time I squatted was probably six months or so ago and I repped 225 lbs until I fell over.
What was your regime? How many sets and reps did you do? The thing with squats as Im sure you know is the form. It is one of the most difficult compound movements to do correctly but also the most important one....my gym does not have a squat rack which is annoying but if you put some sort of support just above your uncle when you go down you could lean on it for a bit while moving up again...it's preferable to do it without but it helps in the beginning.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
What was your regime? How many sets and reps did you do? The thing with squats as Im sure you know is the form. It is one of the most difficult compound movements to do correctly but also the most important one....my gym does not have a squat rack which is annoying but if you put some sort of support just above your uncle when you go down you could lean on it for a bit while moving up again...it's preferable to do it without but it helps in the beginning.
My technique is great. I lifted with the American football players at my school when I was in high school running track. So it's built over a long period of time, I don't even need a belt or a bitch pad anymore.

Basically I warm up with 135lbs and do that 16 times. Then I go to either 180 or 225. I usually do 6 sets of 8-10 reps depending on how I'm feeling. I don't usually do any more than that (weight) because I'm not trying to build mass and I don't use a spotter. I use a regular bench w/ rack and none of that box squat b/s.

In my day when I was 16-18 I squatted about 400lbs on my max (3 reps with spotter). I got crazy last year and threw up 300 for fun.

I also do pull ups and push ups, but I suck at pull ups.

whateverr

Jun 16, 2009
My technique is great. I lifted with the American football players at my school when I was in high school running track. So it's built over a long period of time, I don't even need a belt or a bitch pad anymore.

Basically I warm up with 135lbs and do that 16 times. Then I go to either 180 or 225. I usually do 6 sets of 8-10 reps depending on how I'm feeling. I don't usually do any more than that (weight) because I'm not trying to build mass and I don't use a spotter. I use a regular bench w/ rack and none of that box squat b/s.

In my day when I was 16-18 I squatted about 400lbs on my max (3 reps with spotter). I got crazy last year and threw up 300 for fun.

I also do pull ups and push ups, but I suck at pull ups.
Ah good stuff...tho thought you said u stopped 6 months ago...or was that just sports in general? For pull ups just build a good base with pull downs first..after a while you will be able to pull yourself up.. (talking about wide grip ones). It's been a while since I have tried max reps...mgiht give it ago next time I'm in the gym.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Ah good stuff...tho thought you said u stopped 6 months ago...or was that just sports in general? For pull ups just build a good base with pull downs first..after a while you will be able to pull yourself up.. (talking about wide grip ones). It's been a while since I have tried max reps...mgiht give it ago next time I'm in the gym.
I haven't squatted in six months, but that was my workout when I wasn't "burning out" (squatting 225 till I fall over.

Thanks for the advice on the pull ups. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 99)