Gym and fitness (43 Viewers)

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
This is exactly me, maybe 1kg less at the moment! But I was always afraid my legs would become much bigger and ruin jeans.

You said you'd post pictures long time ago!
Wat?! Hell no.

Besides haven't you received a nude in pm?? Pretty sure I added you to my ghey-group (hustina, klin & turk)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I'm very confused by what I'm reading about how many sets and reps of things I should be doing. I do 4 sets with 12, 10, 10, then 8 reps on all exercises, increasing the weight for each set.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
8-12, 12 being the highest you can do. It's not about the number, if you do 15 and you are not exhausted/tired it's not a good set (too easy).

I try to do 8-10 for almost everything while weights are pretty heavy. When it gets easy I increase weights.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I'm very confused by what I'm reading about how many sets and reps of things I should be doing. I do 4 sets with 12, 10, 10, then 8 reps on all exercises, increasing the weight for each set.
That's fine. There is no ideal number of sets/reps. Whatever works for you. The general rule is 12-15 reps for endurance, 8-12 for hypertrophy, less than 8 for power.

I made good progess doing 12, 10, 8, 6. But now I;m trying to go heavier with less reps.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I've been making gains slowly so I'm ok. But I have a friend that hasn't been able to move up in a while. I'm thinking maybe I'm overworking her with reps or something. Is that possible? Maybe reduce reps and try to increase the weight?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Well the two I go with want that too, but I make them work out just like men do :D

Benching.
Sorry but I can't help much. If we were talking about men I'd have some advices but I'm not sure what to say about girls, I usually see them lift low weights and higher reps.

What I would tell to the guys:

- take bigger rest time between exercises
- he doesn't get enough sleep, doesn't eat well/enough

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Sorry but I can't help much. If we were talking about men I'd have some advices but I'm not sure what to say about girls, I usually see them lift low weights and higher reps.

What I would tell to the guys:

- take bigger rest time between exercises
- he doesn't get enough sleep, doesn't eat well/enough
That's what I've been thinking. Maybe I could try lower reps and more sets with her and see what happens.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That's what I've been thinking. Maybe I could try lower reps and more sets with her and see what happens.
Women have less hormones, I don't think they can follow what us guys do in the gym tbh. But I might be wrong.

Check this thread these days, @X prolly knows more on this topic.

But I have a friend that hasn't been able to move up in a while.

Was this directed towards sore muscles?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Women have less hormones, I don't think they can follow what us guys do in the gym tbh. But I might be wrong.

Check this thread these days, @X prolly knows more on this topic.

But I have a friend that hasn't been able to move up in a while.

Was this directed towards sore muscles?
As in not being able to move to a higher weight above 40 pounds. I just got her to leg press 250, up from 230. It just seems to be with the biceps/chest that she has problems. I had a similar problem for a while where I couldn't go above 115, but then somehow I just did and now I can do 145. No idea how.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
As in not being able to move to a higher weight above 40 pounds. I just got her to leg press 250, up from 230. It just seems to be with the biceps/chest that she has problems. I had a similar problem for a while where I couldn't go above 115, but then somehow I just did and now I can do 145. No idea how.
Ah, so you hit the plateau.

What should do is decrease the reps and add more weights, do 3-6, so you/she gains strength. But you gotta do that for a while, not just for 1-2 weeks. Also, if you're struggling with bench, try to incline bench first and flat as the other exercises. After you change it back (in 1-2 months) you'll notice strength as well. Also, doing bench press requires you to have solid strong triceps -- so you can work on that as well. Lots of ways to increase weight and break the plateau.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 43)