Greatest ever sportsmen (1 Viewer)

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++

Was it not you who suggest Formula 1 was team-efford? ;)
Yes it was, and it is!

I just wrote that bit about the car being better with Schumi in it, cuz some people are always against him.
'If he wins... it's only cuz he's got the best car' That's bullshit! Saying that is implying that anyone could jump in to the Ferrari and win.

BTW I was talking to abhinav

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
'If he wins... it's only cuz he's got the best car' That's bullshit! Saying that is implying that anyone could jump in to the Ferrari and win.
If he wins, it is both because he's a good driver AND because he has an excellent car. I honestly think he would have a much harder time winning (though I still believe he would win a lot) if he drove another vehicle.

To sum up my opinion: He is good, much better than average but also slightly overrated because he drives the best car around and people tend not to notice that last given fact.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
ok... Ferrari is a great car. Schumacher is a great driver.

But how the hell can he be overrated when he wins everything???

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Karlberg ] ++
ok... Ferrari is a great car. Schumacher is a great driver.

But how the hell can he be overrated when he wins everything???
Perhaps overrated is not the key word. What I meant was that people tend to ONLY look at the driver and ignore what type of car he drives. Which, in the case of Schumacher and Ferrari makes a great difference imo.

In other words: all hail goes to the driver when the vecile and the team behind it should receive at least as much admiration!

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
i cant believe im going to do this....i agree with Eirk...:eek:

see how different eddie irvine and barrichello have been when they joined ferrari? and how horrible irvine is now with that car...

Nick

Jul 12, 2002
1.Michael Jordan(The best of all imo)
2.Senna
3.Maradonna
4.Karl Lewis
The list can go on and on but these are my favourites

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
You so easily forget how schumy won the world championship in a benneton which was far from being the best car!!
i wouldn't say far from being the best car as i would rate it as the second best car. and you shouldn't forget how good that Benneton team was on an administrative and design level. Byrne, Brawn, they boys were all there except Todt. they even had Tom Walkinshaw there to raise money for them.

if Schumacher should be in the list depend IMO on what the expression "great sportsman" means to you. for me, Schumacher is not a great sportsman(after Jerez and many other races), as he has alot of skill and ability but is ruthless and sometimes cheats. some might say that Senna wasn't a great sportsman after what he did to Prost in Japan.
in terms of fair play Schumi isn't in a top 100 list. in terms of skill he is in a top 5 list.

OP
denco

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #35
    Schumi always seems to bring out this sort of debate partly becos I feel, he is German.

The guy was at Benneton when he won his first 2 world championships with Williams being the best car and Ferrari nowhere in sight

He went to Ferrari when Williams and Mcclaren were the best cars available and he made a fist of the championship in a not so competitive Ferrari as he was close to winning it twice, first in Japan when he was actually leading the championship but collided with Villenevue, then he was leading when he got his unfortunate accident at Silverstone, by this time he had made Ferrari very competitive, yes he had help but they will be the first to tell you his professionalism and eye for detail is absolutely spot on

Williams was not bad last season and if Schumacher Michael was driving it , he might have won the championship as they were really competitive but with bad luck and wrong attitude by both drivers, they fell by the way side

Yes, ferrari is a good car, the best, but you have got to hand it to a guy who was on the podium for every race in a season, now that is class

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    Hey, I totally forgot about Tom Kristensen! A truely great sportsman!!!

And don't say that he is only any good cuz of the car he drives!

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Schumi always seems to bring out this sort of debate partly becos I feel, he is German.
    Smooth but detected! ;) It doesn't have anything to do with how I feel about him though. Perhaps it would if I were a die-hard F1 fan like I am a football fan.

The guy was at Benneton when he won his first 2 world championships with Williams being the best car and Ferrari nowhere in sight

He went to Ferrari when Williams and Mcclaren were the best cars available and he made a fist of the championship in a not so competitive Ferrari as he was close to winning it twice, first in Japan when he was actually leading the championship but collided with Villenevue, then he was leading when he got his unfortunate accident at Silverstone, by this time he had made Ferrari very competitive, yes he had help but they will be the first to tell you his professionalism and eye for detail is absolutely spot on

Williams was not bad last season and if Schumacher Michael was driving it , he might have won the championship as they were really competitive but with bad luck and wrong attitude by both drivers, they fell by the way side

Yes, ferrari is a good car, the best, but you have got to hand it to a guy who was on the podium for every race in a season, now that is class
    He's good but I just feel the car behind the man doesn't get the credit it deserves. Credit that instead goes wrongly to him.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
    Jul 12, 2002
    Japan when he was actually leading the championship but collided with Villenevue
    when was this?

if you had put Barris and Schumi in the two Williams cars and Monty and Raffe in the Ferraris, Ferrari would still win the constructors and drivers championship, i'm pretty sure about that.

the bad luck at Williams isn't all bad luck, BMW is sacrificing reliability for speed, that's why their engines often fail to make through the entire race.
    He went to Ferrari when Williams and Mcclaren were the best cars available and he made a fist of the championship in a not so competitive Ferrari as he was close to winning it twice
    true, but he took Brawn, Byrne and the rest of his homeboys with him, they made sure that Ferrari improved much and fast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)