General TV (9 Viewers)

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Polish netflix exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the protagonist any more likable than he was in the first season? I stopped watching the show because he was an insufferable twat.
He isn't the the most likeable, but insufferable? Nah. It's somewhat refreshing to me, you can't do what he does and be everyone's favorite sunny boy. He fits in perfectly imo.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Polish netflix exclusive.

- - - Updated - - -

He isn't the the most likeable, but insufferable? Nah. It's somewhat refreshing to me, you can't do what he does and be everyone's favorite sunny boy. He fits in perfectly imo.
I'd like the show a whole lot better if he was much worse. I don't think he's anywhere near bad enough as a person.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I wouldn't mind it either.
There's this misguided idea that we need to able to identify with the protagonist. As if we have to feel the story is happening to us. And I understand the appeal of a protagonist that feels like it could be you, but you simply don't need it for a great show.

I thought Vikings for example ended up a bit short on substance, but Ragnar was a great character. And the dude was fucking crazy. I wouldn't identify with him at all. But the best show in this regard has to be Breaking Bad. I didn't identify with Walter White at the beginning of the show, fifty something dude with no life whatsoever, but I definitely didn't like him towards the end. And it worked. In fact, they intentionally made him grow worse as a person during the show. And it was glorious.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I'd like the show a whole lot better if he was much worse. I don't think he's anywhere near bad enough as a person.
He is worse in the books. More stupid too.

I think viewers are too used to being fed a leading role who is capable and good in multiple ways, to attract to your modern sensibilities. Uthred is just a fierce and commanding warrior who is stuck between two warring cultures, and deals with it only way he knows how, with his sword, not much smarts or superfluous notion of good. Takes one situation at a time and is genuinely conflicted (and hence easily used politically).

I admire his relationship with Alfred, feels genuine because there no bs there, use and abuse eachother and take eachother for how they are.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
There's this misguided idea that we need to able to identify with the protagonist. As if we have to feel the story is happening to us. And I understand the appeal of a protagonist that feels like it could be you, but you simply don't need it for a great show.

I thought Vikings for example ended up a bit short on substance, but Ragnar was a great character. And the dude was fucking crazy. I wouldn't identify with him at all. But the best show in this regard has to be Breaking Bad. I didn't identify with Walter White at the beginning of the show, fifty something dude with no life whatsoever, but I definitely didn't like him towards the end. And it worked. In fact, they intentionally made him grow worse as a person during the show. And it was glorious.
Those are good examples and good point, however I thought the Last Kingdom does a good job of portraying a protagonist with somewhat good moral code without being boring. I appreciate the show for what it is in that regard.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

Man I really miss Ragnar, such a brilliant character (minus the opium phase) and acting.

Vikings is back one episode btw, as good as his sons are (Björn in particular), it just doesn't feel the same watching them.

It's funny we talk about last kingdom, latest Viking episode has a young Alfred as king for first time in a witan. Funny to see same character in two distinctly different ways.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
There is only one watchable show at the moment and it is Ray Donovan. Damn this season is so good! The darkness has reached a whole new level.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Man I really miss Ragnar, such a brilliant character (minus the opium phase) and acting.

Vikings is back one episode btw, as good as his sons are (Björn in particular), it just doesn't feel the same watching them.

It's funny we talk about last kingdom, latest Viking episode has a young Alfred as king for first time in a witan. Funny to see same character in two distinctly different ways.

What about the acting you didn't like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)