Friendlies: Azzurri - Holland / Ivory Coast (3 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
Well I'd say it was entertaining until we scored the 3rd goal, we sat back instaed of looking to score more, which I think was possible. Holland looked a bit lightweight in defence. Lippi chaged from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 and we lost flow in our game.

Kuyt and Castellen were the most impressive for the Dutch, Kuyt was unlucky not to score. Other than that I can't honestly say they looked a great team and were certainly missing their regular players who couldn't play, otherwise I'm sure it would've been a closer game.

Not too much wrong from Italy overall, but I'm not getting exited about our chances in Germany either.

Extremely poor decision also fron the assitant ref to disallow Gilardino's (first) goal, clearly the whole of the ball hadn't crossed the line, it wasn't even close.
:(
Kuyt is a good player. I can see him plying his trade in one of Europe's bigger leagues in the very near future. The same can be said for a number of the Dutch side actually.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Lippi is so right. Despite having to settle for limited football Alex is still able to lead from the front like a true captain should. He really is a fantastic Juventino.

Feb 13, 2005
Hollands stongest players were injured or passed by Van Basten, so it's not so surprising Holland have lost, especially when you start with half the AZ-squad (One of the strongest UEFA Cup contenders), and 2 Feyenoord (3rd place in Holland competition) players up front.

We played without:

Van Bommel (FC Barcelona)
Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam)
Makaay (Bayern München)
Van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)
Van Persie (Arsenal)
Robben (Chelsea FC)
Boulahrouz (Hamburg SV)
Lucius (PSV Eindhoven)
Zenden (Liverpool FC)
Seedorf (AC Milan)
Davids (Tottenham Hotspur)
Kluivert (Valencia CF)

---------------

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Yeah, I don't think the Italians should take this result to heart. The only notable absentees for the Azzurri were Buffon, Totti and Cassano. I'm not even bothering to count in Vieri becaus I believe that we're better off without him anyways.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by FilipeKasmirski ] ++
Hollands stongest players were injured or passed by Van Basten , so it's not so surprising Holland have lost, especially when you start with half the AZ-squad (One of the strongest UEFA Cup contenders), and 2 Feyenoord (3rd place in Holland competition) players up front.

We played without:

Van Bommel (FC Barcelona)
Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam)
Makaay (Bayern München)
Van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)
Van Persie (Arsenal)
Robben (Chelsea FC)
Boulahrouz (Hamburg SV)
Lucius (PSV Eindhoven)
Zenden (Liverpool FC)
Seedorf (AC Milan)
Davids (Tottenham Hotspur)
Kluivert (Valencia CF)

---------------
In that case they obviously weren't the best players ;).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oohh we lost. Excellent; I was getting sick of the arrogant naive optimists in this country who think we really deserve to be 2nd behind Brazil on that FIFA rankings list.

You're not untouchable Van Basten; now get back to work you punk :fero:

Oh was it a good game in terms of entertainment btw? I didn't watch it; I had somebody else's tongue down my throat at the time :angel:
:frown:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Hm?
I was a bit scared when I read about the tongue.

You didn't really miss anything though. Italy was alright but hardly great and so was Del Piero. You guys simply sucked.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
I was a bit scared when I read about the tongue.
Scared or jealous? :D

You didn't really miss anything though. Italy was alright but hardly great and so was Del Piero.
That's not what the DP fans tell me :doh:

You guys simply sucked.
We always do in friendlies. It's why I didn't waste time watching it.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

Scared or jealous? :D
I'm going to go with my first answer there :).

That's not what the DP fans tell me :doh:
DP played pretty good and thus things are being blown out of proportion once again. It's a miracle we didn't have to go through those Alex resurrection articles again.

We always do in friendlies. It's why I didn't waste time watching it.
Yeah.. that's pretty much a fact.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
Lippi is so right. Despite having to settle for limited football Alex is still able to lead from the front like a true captain should. He really is a fantastic Juventino.
Indeed.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Eire ] ++

for the match against holland

abbiatti

zambrotta canna nesta grosso

camo pirlo gattuso
Del Piero

toni Gila

and for ivory coast

amelia

zaccardo Barzagli matterazzi oddo

de rossi barone Diana

iaquinta vieri DP/???

this would give all juve and milan players a weeks rest although maybe abbiatti might play the two games.
my team prediction was spot on for the dutch game, so now on to the ivory coast.

i think lippi will go with

abbiatti/amelia

zaccardo Barzagli matterazzi oddo

de rossi barone diana

iaquinta toni Dp/gila

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Gazzetta's probable lineup for the Ivory Coast game:

Abbiati
Zaccardo - Barzagli - Materazzi - Grosso
Barone - Pirlo - De Rossi
Del Piero
Iaquinta - Gilardino

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I hope Van Basten is not planning on using Vlaar and Opdam as the central-back pairing come this summer...I thought they were extremely poor against the Azzurri and if anything will hold Holland back in Germany it will be their back four.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by RochemBeck ] ++
I hope Van Basten is not planning on using Vlaar and Opdam as the central-back pairing come this summer...I thought they were extremely poor against the Azzurri and if anything will hold Holland back in Germany it will be their back four.
It was Vlaar and Mathijsen actually but yeah; it was a B-squad defence that Van Basten just wanted to see if it would function at all or not. It didn't - at least that mistake won't be made a second time.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Oh that's right, excuse me it was Mathijsen. But I do remember Vlaar being absolutely owned by Toni on two occasions...can't say I'm very impressed with the kid and not sure what to think about him being rumoured with Juve.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
He's 18 or something; he was always going to be outclassed by the experienced striker that is Luca Toni. But it was a good lesson for him and I'm sure he'll be good in a few years time. He has the skills; he just needs to develop them imo

He's not Serie A material by a long shot yet though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)