Friendlies: Azzurri - Holland / Ivory Coast (32 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
why vieri gets called up so often....is lippi really gona take that guy to germany:confused: imo his finished....his a benchwormer for milan and he gets called up.....his best days are over.....every time i see him playing for national team i feel that we have a pensioner in our national team squad.

Does lippi really likes him so much:confused:

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Espectro ] ++

OMG I tougth I would never see an ugly Italian NT jersey... until now :eek::yuck:
Scary! And I thought I didn't like the gold numbers.. Give them back, please! :dontcare:

Edit: They seem two soldiers of WWI! I think that even Meazza played the WC(s) with a more modern shirt! Look at the faces of the players, they look scared (of the shirt?)!
And to think that someone on the Gazzetta of today called it "the shirt every guy dreams to have" :dazed:

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Whatever. We never perform in friendlies anyway so you just do whatever the hell you gotta do :D
Yeah, because Italy is known for its players that, especially in friendlies, give their heart to the team and want to win so badly that they don't care about the next matches they'll have to play with their clubs :rolleyes:

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Eire ] ++
de sanctis is indeed better than abbiatti but he has been playing really poor latley, i thought cheillini might have got into the squad.
Chiellini will play for the U21 the qualifiers for the final phase of the EC.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Codino ] ++

:groan:

i know hes a milanista, but please. give gila a bit of credit
Ofcoarse Gila takes lot of credits not a bit. he's doing good lately with Milan. It's just that Iaq and Toni are on fire atm.

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Gino Genesio ] ++
totti is out!

again!!!:fero:

i am sick of him he always does this ! always!!!

its always the same with him!
And Vieri too.
Such players should not play the WC. They don't respect the shirt they are wearing.

I don't agree with the importance of Totti, what makes me angry is that while Dp plays for the Nt, Totti is rested for the game against Juve. :groan:

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
European Soccer Leagues cease this week for playoffs and friendlies. Many games will stimulate the neurons and senses, but one game in particular will be watched by many soccer pundits and their fans alike: Italy vs. Holland, that is.
Background

Both nations know each other well and have met before in international competition. Both teams met in 1978 in Argentina, when the total football generation of Holland denied an offensive and exciting Italy a place in the World Cup Finals. After an own goal the Dutch recovered and defeated the Azzurri 2-1. Zoff was the keeper in that game and the Oranje knew his weakness and exploited it to the fullest beating Zoff by shooting long range and powerful strikes to the top half of the net. It was effective and it cost Italy a place in the final and they had to settle for 4th. However, in 1982 Holland did not qualify and Italy won the World Cup proving they were consistent and a team to be reckoned with. 10 year later in 1988, they met again but Holland was too much for a rookie Italian team. Euro 1988, was a building block for Italy to introduce new players and to prepare for Italia 90, as in 1986 they were hammered by Platini’s France. Italy was the first European nation to host the World Cup twice and they did everything they possibly could to make sure to bring the World Cup to Italy. Hence, Holland defeated Italy in Euro 88, but the Azzurri had promising youngsters in Vialli, Mancini, Maldini and a great goaltender in Zenga. Moreover, with veterans like Baresi and Bergomi, the Italians were preparing for the future.

Time passed and the two teams did not meet in 1990 as the Oranje were ousted by Beckenbauer’s Germany in the second round by a score of 2-1. Italy progressed to the Semifinals and was beaten in a shootout by Argentina. Unfortunately, soccer fans had to wait 12 years for these two European powers to meet again.

Euro 2000 was co hosted by the Belgians and Dutch. Italy was not favoured to progress to the Quarter final stage as many pundits believed they were was done due to the disappointing performance in the World Cup in France two years earlier. However, Zoff took charge and Italy progressed to the semifinals and many Italian critics hailed the team, but gave it no chance against an in tune goal scoring machine like Holland. To beat Belgium is one thing; to beat the Oranje? No! As they said. This team put in 6 goals vs. Yugoslavia. Yes, the critics agreed that Holland would win by a smaller margin due to the strong Italian defense, but as the critics stated, it was the Oranje’s to lose. Well what these two teams gave us was a classic game. Italy suffered a man down for most of the game; the Azzurri hardly crossed over to the midfield mark; the Dutch had the latter part of the possession; they had more shots on goal, but they still could not break Italy down. Toldo the goalkeeper for Italy was superb and the Dutch huff and puffed but in the end, the Italians won in a shootout and their first ever. The Dutch converted 1 for 6 and this sent them back to their hotel rooms as the losers, not the victors. Italy won and the Azzurri fans were on a high.

As time went one, both teams did regress. Holland did not qualify for the 2002 World Cup and Van Gaal was replaced by Advocaat. They qualified for Euro 2004 and reached the semifinals and Advocaat resigned to be replaced by a legend: Marco van Basten. The Azzurri had a new coach: Giovanni Trapattoni and with him guiding a newly inspired Italy many thought he would bring the trophies to Rome. After all, he was the most successful coach in Italian football. 2002, was a flop as the Azzurri lost to South Korea and in Portugal, they were ousted in the first round. So off with Trap and enter Lippi the former Juve coach.

Therefore, both teams have new coaches and are in transition. Both coaches have made it a priority to experiment and use young players. However, they are still using veterans as Lippi has still called up the likes of Vieri, Del Piero as Van Basten has been utilizing an invigorated Davids. The two squads have quality young players and have good coaches. Marco has impressed so far as he is a novice to coaching, but so far his team has produced results. Moreover, the Dutch have defeated an old rival in the Czech Republic. The Oranje will be looking for revenge from Euro 200 and what a better way to do it by defeating Italy. However, Lippi, is too an experienced coach and has had good luck vs. Dutch sides. After all, his sole Champions League victory came from a Dutch team: Ajax.

Team news

Totti and Peruzzi have left the Azzurri camp injured with torn muscles as the Dutch have Van Bommel and Van Nistelrooy out with torn ligaments. Van Basten has great reverence for the Azzurri, as he mentioned they are a united and a hard team to beat. Lippi has stated in the media that his Azzurri squad will be different one from 5 years ago and they will attack Holland. This remains to be seen. Starting line ups have been given to the media, but it will be a toss up on who will start as both federations have agreed to many substitutions.

Players to watch

Van der Sar (Holland)
There are many players to respect on this team, but if his defense fails he will be the last line of defense. Could he be the one who denies Toni and the Azzurri attack? He was a part of Euro 2000 and would like to give some payback.

Luca Toni (Italy)
Just cannot stop scoring and so far he has had his way. Only Inter and Lazio have denied him a chance to score. He is red hot at the moment and as much as he admires Van Basten he would like to make a name for himself and what a better way to do it against the Netherlands.

Probable starting XI’s

Holland (4-3-3):
Van der Sar - Jaliens, Ooijer, Mathijsen, Emanuelson - Landzaat, Van der Vaart, Cocu - Castelen, Kuijt, Van Persie

Italy (4-3-3):
Abbiati - Zambro, Nesta, Cannavaro, Grosso - Camoranesi, Pirlo, Gattuso - Del Piero, Toni, Gilardino

Probable outcome

Given past precedents, The Italians hardly show up for friendlies and Lippi will use this as another game to experiment and to test the spirit of the players. If Italy wins, he will be praised. If they lose by 2-0 or more then it is back to square one for Italy. The Dutch are united, in form, have a balance of youth, experience and they would like to beat Italy to get noticed. If both teams come out to play, then it will be hard to call, as both have fully stacked squads with loads of experience. There are absences, but this will not affect the game. In the end, tactics will affect the outcome and Lippi will use every trick in his years of coaching to exploit Van Basten. This very well could be a mind game of sorts. In short, I give the edge to Holland 1-0 as they are ambitious. However, this game could go either way or end in a draw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)