Friendlies: Azzurri - Holland / Ivory Coast (2 Viewers)

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
be nice if pirlo and gilardino picked up slight knocks that ruled them out for the weekend.

hope abbiatti keeps a clean sheet although the ivory coast are not the bad drogba will be a handfull for matterazzi

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
i think him and drogba will just leave the field leaving it 10 v 10 and have a fight to the death outside the tunnel.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
totally off topic does anyone know if emerson played the whole match for brazil against the uae and is he due to start in their second friendly

just found out that brazil second friendly was cancelled but will be played next year instead. good leadt emerson should be well recovered from his travels and be ready to whip roma ass

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
Lippi will be hoping his new-look side don’t freeze on the big night - the temperature for tonight’s match, which is live on Bravo at 8pm, is predicted to plummet to as low as -10 degrees centigrade.

Italy probable: Abbiati; Zaccardo, Barzagli, Materazzi, Grosso; Barone, Pirlo, De Rossi; Gilardino, Iaquinta, Del Piero

with that sort of temperature there is an increased chance of players picking up muscular strains, aswell as knocks from the hard frozen surface

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Beware of the Elephants, warns Lippi Wednesday 16 November, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has urged caution ahead of Italy’s match with the Ivory Coast this evening. "I have been struck by their natural ability," he said.

Lippi has been doing his homework on the emerging African nation, nicknamed the Elephants, whom his side face in icy Geneva tonight and the Azzurri boss has clearly been impressed by what he has seen of them.

"The Ivory Coast knocked both Cameroon and Senegal - two of the best sides in Africa in the last 10 years - out of the World Cup qualifiers," he said. "They have 40 odd players spread throughout the best Leagues in Europe."

Citing Chelsea striker Didier Drogba as a case in point, Lippi has urged caution ahead of a friendly which bears all the hallmarks of a banana skin match.

"Drogba is an example and a champion," added Lippi. "It is no longer a case of pure physical strength and average technique. I’ve watched them on tape and I was struck by the natural ability with which they play.

"I realise that in people’s minds this match doesn’t mean as much as the Holland test, but for us it means a lot. Unfortunately, after this I won’t see my players until March 1."

Lippi has already announced his line-up for tonight, making six changes from the side that prevailed in Amsterdam on Saturday.

Playing in his trusty 4-3-3 formation, which Lippi says is here for keeps, Cristian Zaccardo, Andrea Barzagli and Marco Materazzi come into a back line in which only Fabio Grosso has kept his place.

Palermo’s Simone Barone and Roma’s Daniele De Rossi get starts in midfield alongside Andrea Pirlo, while Vincenzo Iaquinta is selected next to Alberto Gilardino up front, with Alessandro Del Piero, as in Holland, playing just behind the front two.

Those who played on Saturday but have been rested for this match are: Luca Toni, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro, Gianluca Zambrotta, Gennaro Gattuso and Mauro Camoranesi.

Lippi will be hoping his new-look side don’t freeze on the big night - the temperature for tonight’s match, which is live on Bravo at 8pm, is predicted to plummet to as low as -10 degrees centigrade.

Italy probable: Abbiati; Zaccardo, Barzagli, Materazzi, Grosso; Barone, Pirlo, De Rossi; Gilardino, Iaquinta, Del Piero

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)