Football books? (1 Viewer)

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
Hey, I have a english project on school ans i asked my teatcher and she said that I could read a football book, but offcourse since it is an english project must the book be written in english....
So I was just wondering if any of u guys know a football book worth of reading??

Buy on AliExpress.com

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
Tim Park's "A season with Verona". I haven't finished it yet, but it's been excellent so far.

Another good one is Paulo Di Canio's biography.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++

:yuck:
Have you read it?! Sad that you think so... Di Canio is a legend despite the fact that I don't respect his political aspects.

++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
i ordered john charles' biography today.
Oh, I didn't knew that he had one too... That's a must for me, what is it called then?

OP
Juve89

Juve89

The Farmer
May 27, 2004
  • Thread Starter #11
    Thanks, but do you know if Collinas book "The Rules Of The Game" is any good??

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Juve89 ] ++
    Thanks, but do you know if Collinas book "The Rules Of The Game" is any good??
    Haven't read it. "Ajax, Barcelona, Cruijff: the ABC of a Dutch Maestro" (or something like that!) is a really good one, though it mightn't be the best for an English project - it's a series of interviews.

OP
    Juve89

Juve89

The Farmer
    May 27, 2004
  • Thread Starter #13
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Haven't read it. "Ajax, Barcelona, Cruijff: the ABC of a Dutch Maestro" (or something like that!) is a really good one, though it mightn't be the best for an English project - it's a series of interviews.
    Ok, but I am thinking of buying several books, not just that one for the project:)

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    Let's rise this topic up for a change.

Fliakis said:
    king john. supposedly writen by himself.

there's also one called the gentle giant.
    Those weren't available, but I just ordered these

GALEANO, EDUARDO:F OOTBALL IN SUN AND SHADOW
    FOER, FRANKLIN: HOW SOCCER EXPLAINS THE WORLD
    BURNS, JIMMY: THE HAND OF GOD; THE LIFE OF DIEGO MARADONA
    KUPER, SIMON: FOOTBALL AGAINST THE ENEMY
    RISOLI, MARIO: JOHN CHARLES

Anyone read these: AWAY DAYS by KEVIN SAMSON
    ARMED FOR THE MATCH by Colin Ward
    CHELSEA HEADUNTERS by Colin Ward e Chris "Chubby" Henderson

Are they any good?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Erkka, I just bought HOW SOCCER EXPLAINS THE WORLD the other day after my friend recomended it to me. He's not much of an informed soccer fan, however he said the book was very interesting and kept him occupied despite his "unwillingness" to learn about the history of the sport.

I just hope it's not "watered down" too much for us...if you know what I mean.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    RochemBeck said:
    Erkka, I just bought HOW SOCCER EXPLAINS THE WORLD the other day after my friend recomended it to me. He's not much of an informed soccer fan, however he said the book was very interesting and kept him occupied despite his "unwillingness" to learn about the history of the sport.

is this the book swag talked about in the "books you've read recently" thread? the one that even has something about islam? I gotta read this lol

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Not sure as I don't recall what Greg posted in that thread. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some topics on religion in that book...afterall there are buddhist monks on the front cover if I remember correctly.

Erkka

Mar 31, 2004
    RochemBeck said:
    Yes, I just read that it's written by a yank that didn't fall in love with real football until he was grown-up... They said that he's a wannabe, but also that thing that he's an outsider offered some valuable new horizons to the game... But it certainly won't offer any new facts or so. Still worth reading I believe.

RochemBeck said:
    afterall there are buddhist monks on the front cover
    In here there's a little boy shooting a gun on the cover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)