FIFA U20 World Cup - Korea 2017 (12 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
How many of those english players will make it?
Depends what you mean by making it? I'd imagine their attacking players like Lookman, Calvert-Lewin, Solanke and Ojo have a good chance of becoming decent PL players. The Everton pair will probably play quite a few games next season in PL same goes to Cook who has a good chance of getting game-time for Bournemouth. No clue about the defenders.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
I wonder if Venezuela consider this their next golden generation as well.
Absolutely. Its the best (and only second) showing in a world cup of any level. If some of these players transform into good senior level footballers, then it would probably be better than anything before.

The current generation is already the "golden generation" even though they never did anything at youth level, lets see if this one is better.

There is tons of hype (in venezuelan standards) for Penaranda, Herrera and Farinez, among others.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
They didn't really impress in the final but there was a bit of nerves second half. First half England had 3-4 great chances and should have made the game easier. Second Venezuela were all over them, England mostly with counters.

England did well here because they play a direct and dynamic football that suits their natural game. I didn't see much to think that many of the players would be genuine class, but Lookman and Onomah stood out for me, you see things in players when things are tough and they still kept playing well. Calvert-Lewin was also good, and Tomori the defender did most things well. Ojo at this moment is a massive pace whore athlete with good skills, England churn out so many wingers time will tell a lot how good he is. Is another Walcott, Lennon or Oxlade-Chamberlain going to win England a senior tournament?

You see athletes with fearlessness and dynamism rewarded at this level, in particular when there are not teams like Argentina had in '01 (Saviola, Maxi, D'Alessandro, Coloccini, Burdisso) or '05 (Messi, Agüero, Gago, Garay, Biglia, Zabaleta lololol). That's why you get the likes of Nigeria and Ghana going very far. They play without fear or tactical restriction. England are more polished than that but were also very athletic and went from midfield to attack very quickly through Lookman and Calvert-Lewin.

I'm glad Peñaranda was the guy to miss the pen, he looked like a nonchalant dick for most of the game. He smells like Balotelli, lots of talent but thinks he's better than what he is. I'm going to wager his career is a flop. I liked the two subs Soteldo and Sosa, although you could see perhaps why Soteldo was only used as an impact sub. He looked like Messi for 15 mins then disappeared. Yangel Herrera and the keeper Fariñez also impressed. Cordova annoyed me a lot, no end product with him.

People here seem to think that winning this tournament gives more psychological belief to players as they progress into senior professionals, and there is a degree of that as winning youth teams can produce future winning national side. I don't see this England team for example as close to the Spanish youth precursor sides that went on to dominate international football, there is no Messi or Neymar around and wasn't in the entire tournament, but the battle English players face is the same as always - having the dynamism, fearlessness and enthusiasm drilled out of them by high salaries, over-hype, and 60 game seasons running around like idiots.

Oh and Orsolini winning the golden boot but not making the top 3 players of the tournament, good one.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
U-20 World Cup means shit. Hopefully this England team goes the same way of many others before it, winning nothing and being confined to the odd QF appearance once in a while. A nation that has this much arrogance and self entitlement even though they haven't won shit since 66, and even then, they needed help. Absolutely disgusting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)