FIFA U20 World Cup - Korea 2017 (10 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Ingerland won the U17 World Cup as well, beat Spain 5-2 after being 2-0 down.

Let's say the team is very "athletic", but players like Foden (the real diamond), Sessegnon and one or two others should be regular internationals. Sancho didn't even play as he got sent home.

Only Brazil had won the U17 and U20 World Cups in the same year before. England also won the U19 Euros, made the U17 Euros final (loss on pens to the Spanish), U21 Euros third place and won the Toulon U21 tournament, so they're doing something right at youth level. Senior football is a completely different thing though.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Ingerland won the U17 World Cup as well, beat Spain 5-2 after being 2-0 down.

Let's say the team is very "athletic", but players like Foden (the real diamond), Sessegnon and one or two others should be regular internationals. Sancho didn't even play as he got sent home.

Only Brazil had won the U17 and U20 World Cups in the same year before. England also won the U19 Euros, made the U17 Euros final (loss on pens to the Spanish), U21 Euros third place and won the Toulon U21 tournament, so they're doing something right at youth level. Senior football is a completely different thing though.
Not that much, though. If these kids won U17 and U20 in the same year, it means that we're talking about two great generations coming one right after the other. Most of these guys, being English, will be given a chance to play top level football and a bunch of them will play together at team level too.
It's not a guarantee that they will win a EURO or a WC at senior level, but it's a guarantee that they will be competitive, unlike their predecessors. We're talking 4 euros and 4 world cups for these kids in the future. Once it's bound to click, and I expect at least a final or a semi for them.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
What I notice watching the team is that they play with no fear and they rely on a lot of individual talent, directly taking players on etc. Senior football is far more tactically restrictive. Also the physical gap is reduced, if you see England's U20s against Italy's for example, or how England just kept running over teams in this tournament. I'm not trying to take away from their talent because there are some really good players especially in the U17 side (I'm not so convinced by the U20 side individually), but now you've got athleticism mixed with skill and a bit more brains, they try to play the right way.

Playing in the Premier League is also a physical task for English players, too many silly cup competitions and no break does wear them down. There will now be increased media expectation on this generation, and that never settles well with English players. They have a tournament fear and that needs one good tournament to be rid of.

Anyway if you look at the Brazil U20 side who did it in the same year as their U17s the best players were the likes of Dudu, Daniel Carvalho, Adriano, Nilmar, Dani Alves, Fernandinho. The U17 side had virtually no one of note go on to become senior internationals, Arouca and Ederson have 5 caps between them.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Let's hope they keep failing miserably at senior level. :xfinger:

The failures of Ingerland and, to a lesser extent, those of Burgerland fill me with a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. Unfortunately, the Germans keep on winning. :sigh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)