FIFA says players can wear earpieces and mics (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Soccer Players Could be Given OK to Wear Earpieces
Tuesday, January 20, 2004; 11:57 AM

LONDON -- NFL quarterbacks use earpieces to communicate with coaches. Soccer players may be next.

FIFA, soccer's governing body, said Tuesday such a proposal will likely be on the agenda when the game's rule-making body meets Feb. 28 in London.

"Obviously one issue here would be safety," FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said. "The rule states that any equipment worn by a player must be safe, not only for the player himself, but for the other players."

"There is no reference in the rules to this because it is completely new."

The issue surfaced in the last few days after Jan Moons, a goalkeeper for the Belgian side Genk, wore an earpiece in Friday's 1-0 victory over Club Brugge.

Belgian national team coach Aime Antheunis has expressed interest in using the device, and Belgian Football Association president Jan Peeters said it "was bound to happen sooner or later."

"You can see it in many other sports, although I am not convinced of the use of it in football," Peeters added.

A spokesman for UEFA, the governing body of European soccer, said the federation would "take guidance" from FIFA on the issue.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #2
    If they're bringing already technology to football, why dont they make sensors to determine if a player is offside or if the ball has crossed the line?

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
    If they're bringing already technology to football, why dont they make sensors to determine if a player is offside or if the ball has crossed the line?
    Because it would cost too much money and would require that there be intrusions into the field. BTW, I hate the idea of alllowing players to wear earpieces. I think that it devalues the skill of game awaresness and tactic field sense. If the coach can relay instructions to the players in-game, in real time, then the layers no longer need to think. Intelligent players have always had a spot on the field, and have had an advantage over other players, but this would change that, and I'm opposed to such a change.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    I agree about the earpices thing, but I do think the offside and gaolline sensors should be implemented. It would cost much, but it would squash all conspiracy theories and make human errors non existant.

Jul 12, 2002
    I agree about the earpices thing, but I do think the offside and gaolline sensors should be implemented. It would cost much, but it would squash all conspiracy theories and make human errors non existant.
    As amazing as this sounds, the current cost to implement such systems would be way to high, even if it would accomplish those things that you say it would.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker ] ++
    Because it would cost too much money and would require that there be intrusions into the field. BTW, I hate the idea of alllowing players to wear earpieces. I think that it devalues the skill of game awaresness and tactic field sense. If the coach can relay instructions to the players in-game, in real time, then the layers no longer need to think. Intelligent players have always had a spot on the field, and have had an advantage over other players, but this would change that, and I'm opposed to such a change.
    I don't know a thing about football, let that be said. But it does seem to me like a sport whose main philosophy is to run them down. Thus it seems appropriate that the coach would instruct them through speakers in their helmets.

Soccer, on the other hand, seems to be a lot more creative and thus instructions from the coach shouldn't be necessary play by play. What's he gonna tell them? "Watch your back"? "Backheel it to Pessotto"? Sounds bizzarre..

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    I don't know a thing about football, let that be said. But it does seem to me like a sport whose main philosophy is to run them down. Thus it seems appropriate that the coach would instruct them through speakers in their helmets.

Soccer, on the other hand, seems to be a lot more creative and thus instructions from the coach shouldn't be necessary play by play. What's he gonna tell them? "Watch your back"? "Backheel it to Pessotto"? Sounds bizzarre..
    I think that it works in American Football because there are so many stoppages in play and there are set plays and all that crap. In real football, there isn't the same structure, so I don't think that it could really work, and I wouldn't want it to.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    The issue surfaced in the last few days after Jan Moons, a goalkeeper for the Belgian side Genk, wore an earpiece in Friday's 1-0 victory over Club Brugge.
    Why would a player need to wear an earpiece, especially a goalkeeper. I can just imagine what the coach says to him: "Okay, save that shot. Dive and maybe do a little tumble if u wanna look cool. Save that. Oh shit, penalty. Maybe you should try saving that."

I think it's got a lot to do with the universality (word?) of the game. It's like the viedo referees; once you implement something like that, it puts the game in countries that can't afford said technology at somewhat of a loss.

Refereeing decisions (be they correct or incorrect) are all part of the sport, and sensors etc. would probably take a lot of the fun and constructive controversy out of the game (especially for us, being juve fans :D)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Why would a player need to wear an earpiece, especially a goalkeeper. I can just imagine what the coach says to him: "Okay, save that shot. Dive and maybe do a little tumble if u wanna look cool. Save that. Oh shit, penalty. Maybe you should try saving that."
    If the coach wants to make a tactical change, or just to tell someone to mark his man a bit tighter, he has to rely on either his own voice being powerful enough to carry across the field and be heard over the din of as much as 80,000 screaming fans, or on his captain or goalkeeper or someone spotting it for him and shouting at the player concerned.

If you can just tell the keeper to shout at the fullbacks that you want them to get forward more, you just pick up the radio, and hey presto. It amkes some sense.

Speaking of shouting at players, has anyone here ever heard Mick McCarthy, Sunderland's manager (formerly Ireland's) shouting at a game? I once heard him (over 35,000 Ireland fans, very noisy) shout "Hart-ey, Hart-ey, that was ****ing shite." It was broadcast live on national tv.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    I once heard him (over 35,000 Ireland fans, very noisy) shout "Hart-ey, Hart-ey, that was ****ing shite." It was broadcast live on national tv.
    :LOL: that's hilarious man

I didn't know he was that noisy

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003

:LOL: that's hilarious man

I didn't know he was that noisy
    My whole family thought so too. He is that noisey. Even as a centre-half for Ireland, you could here his voice on the mics. Often you couldn't make out the words, but the noise was so distinctive (something about the volume and the accent I imagine) that you couldn't miss it.

I saw highlights of a Sunderland match recently, and it brought a tear to the eye to hear 'Foghorn Leghorn' booming out over the pitch again. :strong:

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003

I think it's got a lot to do with the universality (word?) of the game. It's like the viedo referees; once you implement something like that, it puts the game in countries that can't afford said technology at somewhat of a loss.

Refereeing decisions (be they correct or incorrect) are all part of the sport, and sensors etc. would probably take a lot of the fun and constructive controversy out of the game (especially for us, being juve fans :D)
    agreed agreed....;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)