FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 (3 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I still can't believe Altidore is only 19 years old. In a few years that kid will be absolutely amazing. Maybe not world class, but certainly just short in the category below. He demonstrates great maturity and strength for a forward of his age.

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3,823
    Still hope this US performance helps the popularity of the sport in N. America. Doubt it will tho :cry:

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    Thats really really really unfair for the footballers who fought for international recognition (footballistic existence) and they do deserve better than that!
    If the Americans dont respect their own NT, who will?

No matter how you see it, outranking the most highly rated teams, is a great achievement! And those players should be encouraged!
    Telling them that there is no future for their sport and that no one cares about their efforts/performance is a disgrace...

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I still can't believe Altidore is only 19 years old. In a few years that kid will be absolutely amazing. Maybe not world class, but certainly just short in the category below. He demonstrates great maturity and strength for a forward of his age.
    The Swedish commentator brought this up yesterday as well, that he's only 19 and he has so much game maturity.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Back to football for one minute, before I partake in the nonsense in this thread-

I'm proud of how well the US played Brazil in the first half, but we didnt show up in the second, and didnt deserve to win.

It reminded me of how Italy, in some big games of the past, would get a lead, and then get super-defensive, and end up paying for it in the end

If the US were able to score at least one in the second half, whether it would have made the score 3-1 or even 3-2 in the US favor, then I believe they would have won the game
    I saw this dudes pic with the scarf over his face, and I have to say I was pretty scared !!:p
    They did the same against Italy and Spain too.

and the USA walked away with second place, whats your point ??

will we even remember any of this come next June
    ??
    Exactly. And it's still two wins and three losses. If you've lost more than you've won, it cannot have been such a brilliant tournament.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Thats really really really unfair for the footballers who fought for international recognition (footballistic existence) and they do deserve better than that!
    If the Americans dont respect their own NT, who will?

No matter how you see it, outranking the most highly rated teams, is a great achievement! And those players should be encouraged!
    Telling them that there is no future for their sport and that no one cares about their efforts/performance is a disgrace...
    It's an unpopular opinion, but there's some truth in what he writes. You guys honestly believe that the USA can win the World Cup next year?

Jul 15, 2006
    It's an unpopular opinion, but there's some truth in what he writes. You guys honestly believe that the USA can win the World Cup next year?
    I don't think it has to do with USA's chances of winning the World Cup or not, it has more to do with the credit/support which they do receive. And deserve to receive they reached the final of the Confed Cup, they obviously deserve some credit for their effort; now if the American Press or whatever yet choose to be ignorant then that blows for the USA's exploits in this tournament as a whole. No?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I don't think it has to do with USA's chances of winning the World Cup or not, it has more to do with the credit/support which they do receive. And deserve to receive they reached the final of the Confed Cup, they obviously deserve some credit for their effort; now if the American Press or whatever yet choose to be ignorant then that blows for the USA's exploits in this tournament as a whole. No?
    So they reached the final in a friendly tournament winning twice, but losing three games. Is this America's revolution then?

Jul 15, 2006
    So they reached the final in a friendly tournament winning twice, but losing three games. Is this America's revolution then?
    Well you can at least consider it a statement of improvement beating Egypt and Spain + reaching the final. It goes to show their not as bad as often portrayed. The coach deserves credit too, he was tactically sound at key points in the tournament. Not sure about his substitutions though.

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    Watching this match and our goals again, this is fucking heartbreaking. :( :cry:
    I hear you but you guys can take alot from this tournament & realize that the team is growing & it knows that it can compete with the best.

As for SA our attack & defense needs alot of work.There are players like Bryce Moon,Elrio Van Heerden & Lance Davids that never got a chance which is unforgivable imo.Even though this team is going through a transition phase they have a shitload of work to do to reach the heights of the squad of 1996 - 2000.

Ultimately they can produce the goods but the killer instinct upfront & defensive discipline is extremely suspect.None the less i had no huge expectations for this event.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I hear you but you guys can take alot from this tournament & realize that the team is growing & it knows that it can compete with the best.

As for SA our attack & defense needs alot of work.There are players like Bryce Moon,Elrio Van Heerden & Lance Davids that never got a chance which is unforgivable imo.Even though this team is going through a transition phase they have a shitload of work to do to reach the heights of the squad of 1996 - 2000.

Ultimately they can produce the goods but the killer instinct upfront & defensive discipline is extremely suspect.None the less i had no huge expectations for this event.
    I really like Modise. How come he still plays in South Africa?

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
    I think there's a good reason why Elrio Van Heerden doesn't get a chance.
    He never struck me as a good player, not even a good prospect imo.
    Well not every national team has players of Kaka,Messi or even Ronaldo's calibre.He's an extremely hard worker & if he wasnt any good i dont see why Sam Allardyce snapped him up.

I really like Modise. How come he still plays in South Africa?
    He wont after the confed cup.He's been linked to man city & birmingham & both milan teams.Also his club orlando pirates want £4m.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    It won't with FUCKTARD articles such as this.

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/story/11903198

Straight to GITMO with this writer's ass.
    Here are the ONLY two ways that Soccer is going to be popular here in the States.

#1) Until we are good at it, at a consistent level, and I'm talking top 3 in the world for a consistent period, people aren't going to care. The only way that other sports hold interest in this country is because of our beliefs that we are the best, or at the very least, top 3 in the world in other major sports.

#2) If you can't bet on it, people here don't give a fuck. That's the reality of it. the NFL didn't reach its level of insane popularity until they could place bets on the games.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Here are the ONLY two ways that Soccer is going to be popular here in the States.

#1) Until we are good at it, at a consistent level, and I'm talking top 3 in the world for a consistent period, people aren't going to care. The only way that other sports hold interest in this country is because of our beliefs that we are the best, or at the very least, top 3 in the world in other major sports.

#2) If you can't bet on it, people here don't give a fuck. That's the reality of it. the NFL didn't reach its level of insane popularity until they could place bets on the games.
    Well, we aren't getting any better in basketball.

I think a major reason is crap articles such as that and stupid bias by the usual suspects in media outlets that Joe Six Pack consumes on a daily basis.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    Well, we aren't getting any better in basketball.

I think a major reason is crap articles such as that and stupid bias by the usual suspects in media outlets that Joe Six Pack consumes on a daily basis.
    Ummm, I would have to disagree with you on the Basketball part. Once they got players who WANTED to commit themselves to the program, they were unstoppable.

Blame it on the articles all you want, but the problem is that the majority of people who go on the internet don't even READ those articles to begin with.

If they ever start placing betting odds on these games, you'll see the popularity increase.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Ummm, I would have to disagree with you on the Basketball part. Once they got players who WANTED to commit themselves to the program, they were unstoppable.

Blame it on the articles all you want, but the problem is that the majority of people who go on the internet don't even READ those articles to begin with.

If they ever start placing betting odds on these games, you'll see the popularity increase.
    Maybe not so much the articles, but the lack of exposure and people like Jim Rome bashing soccer without remorse naturally deters more interest. The most popular sports figures in the nation either bash the sport or don't mention it at all. The PTI guys, while they don't really like it, at least had Altidore on their show the other day.

I have no qualms with betting. People should be allowed to do whatever they want with their money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)