Felipe Melo (10 Viewers)

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
We're going to need a beastly Melo sunday evening, that's for sure. Since Pepe is injured we'll probably see Marchisio on the left again and to be completely honest, I prefer Melo over Momo for that vacant spot next to Aquaman.

No brainfarts Melo, please.. no brainfarts on Sunday. We need a result at home!

Apr 19, 2007
In a 4-3-3 you have to have defenders that can defend 1-v-1 and we dont have that. Can you Imagine Grosso with space in front of him to let guys run at him? The way you play it you either possess the ball so when you lose it you press quickly and win it back or more like Van Gaal system where you have guys that can stop the fast break. Now tell me whjo is going to be the guy that spreads the ball around so the other team is picked apart and who is going to shut down the fast break? If we had practiced that all year we could be getting the rythem now you dont just throw a system like that in for a game or two. It took Bayern forever to catch on last season and the had all the right elements for it.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Thank God he is back.

I have to hand it to the people who were sure that Melo was exactly what we had been missing lately. These guys couldn't have been more right about the positive impact Melo would have on our games.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Thank God he is back.

I have to hand it to the people who were sure that Melo was exactly what we had been missing lately. These guys couldn't have been more right about the positive impact Melo would have on our games.
That's a pretty reductive position there, Buck, especially based upon one game. This team is playing pathetic football all the way around (well, not Gigi - he's been solid), but this guy is certainly an important player and he can help us considerably.

I think a pretty good argument can be made that after Krasic and Qtube, Melo was our third most influential player during the first half of the season. He was dominant in a lot of games.

I know some people have a problem with his attitude, and granted he's made some pretty egregious mistakes, but clearly we're a much better team with him in our midfield.

Edit - I'll give it a 3rd or 4th most influential first half performer toss up... without Chiello, our terrible defense might be the worst in Italy; Giorgio is the man, and a great teammate all the way around.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
That's a pretty reductive position there, Buck, especially based upon one game. This team is playing pathetic football all the way around (well, not Gigi - he's been solid), but this guy is certainly an important player and he can help us considerably.

I think a pretty good argument can be made that after Krasic and Qtube, Melo was our third most influential player during the first half of the season. He was dominant in a lot of games.

I know some people have a problem with his attitude, and granted he's made some pretty egregious mistakes, but clearly we're a much better team with him in our midfield.

Edit - I'll give it a 3rd or 4th most influential first half performer toss up... without Chiello, our terrible defense might be the worst in Italy; Giorgio is the man, and a great teammate all the way around.
Never have I said that he hasn't been one of our overall best players of the season. Why would I? I even said that, in the long run, we probably are indeed a better team with him than without him. Even if he is a major liability (& could probably be replaced by a cheaper & safer solution).

What I did say, was that Melo's absence did not have an influence on our performances or results & that him coming back would basically not have an impact.
As a reaction, people claimed that I did not watch our games, how surprised they were that I didn't "see it" & how he would make (a big) difference.

Needless to say, I'm sticking with my opinion.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Never have I said that he hasn't been one of our overall best players of the season. Why would I? I even said that, in the long run, we probably are indeed a better team with him than without him. Even if he is a major liability (& could probably be replaced by a cheaper & safer solution).

What I did say, was that Melo's absence did not have an influence on our performances or results & that him coming back would basically not have an impact.
As a reaction, people claimed that I did not watch our games, how surprised they were that I didn't "see it" & how he would make (a big) difference.

Needless to say, I'm sticking with my opinion.
I guess it's that type of back handed compliment that you just gave the player that may have influenced me in thinking that you don't rate melo.

To say a player has been one of our best performers, but then only give a 'we're probably a better team with him', and to then mention that we could get a cheaper alternative who's just as good, etc... well, those obviously aren't particularly good endorsements.

With all of the massive holes in our lineup, clearly this isn't one of the guys we should be looking to replace at the moment.

Also, didn't we start Giandonato (who received a red card) for one match during Melo's suspension? Or was that at another time? I can't remember off the top of my head... all of these poor performances tend to blend together. :D

I do know that our midfield wasn't particularly effective while Melo was out. He doesn't make everything perfect, but we certainly need him right now.

I guess the point I'm getting at, is that we need a type of 'all hands on deck' mentality; every little bit counts, there are way too many holes in this team for one man to make the entire difference - I can't imagine anybody honestly thinks that we're one player away from being up to Juventus' historically high standards (especially if he's a DM, a dirty work position).

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Thank God he is back.

:howler: now it's melo's fault

(i know thats not what you 'said' but same stretch as you interpreting melo's lack of positive impact in a game where we dominated, were unlucky and had the ref against us)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)