[Europa League] Shamrock Rovers 0-2 JUVENTUS (July 29th, 2010) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
O'Neill again:

The longer the game stays 0-0, the longer the tie is very much alive. At some point, obviously, to come through, we know that we have to score and our best chance of doing that is probably here in Tallaght. But if you look at European football now, the idea that you have to score at home no longer exists. The main priority is not to lose a goal at home. And obviously we’ll be doing our utmost to make sure that we don’t. We did against (Bnei) Yehuda which left us having to go out there and score. Thankfully we were good enough to do that but I would anticipate that it would be a little more difficult against Juventus. We’ll have to be a little more cautious than we were two weeks ago because if we get too comfortable this time the way we did then, Juventus will punish us. A lot will depend, though, on our ability to get the ball into their area, whether it’s from set-pieces or play. And in Europe it’s crucial, too, how you’re set up when the ball changes hands and so we’ll have to be careful, but this is a great opportunity for my players, many of whom have had to cope with disappointments in the early part of their careers and I have every faith in them.

Thomas Stewart, A Rovers player:

We all know how difficult it is going to be now, though. Bnei kept the ball very well and Juventus will do the same but they’re only starting their season. If we can frustrate them, play at the tempo we know we can play at, then with the home fans behind us, you never know.

Buy on AliExpress.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Stewart to meet hero Del Piero

GROWING up in Portadown, Tommy Stewart used to ignore the knocks on the doors each Sunday afternoon to instead sit in front of the television waiting for the familiar cry of ‘Gol Accio!’, and the start of Football Italia.

Juventus were his team. The youngster was caught up in the deeds of Alessandro Del Piero and the Old Lady of Turin in what was the best league in the world.

The striker was his favourite player, and last week in Israel he ensured he would meet him before the 35-year-old could retire, by scoring the winning goal against Bnei Yehuda.

"Hopefully, I’ll get his shirt," he said. "I don’t want to think about it too much because we have to play the game but it would be nice to get a momento.

"It’s just incredible knowing we’re playing Juventus. All the boys are itching to play. It’s the one you wanted when the draw was being made. It’s a team I grew up supporting as a child.

"I used to watch Football Italia and I think just everybody knows about them. To have the opportunity to play them on your home turf is something that may never happen again. It was my first kit I ever had. It’s a weird feeling. Last week to score the goal, I know it’s not about me but it’s a good wee buzz for myself."

And Stewart is hopeful that after smashing and grabbing a result against the Israelis, the Hoops can repeat the trick.

"Hopefully we can frustrate them," he said. "It’s a tall order, you never know. We know how difficult it is. Bnei kept the ball very well and Juventus will do the same. You never know."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfcwgbeygbcw/rss2/#ixzz0v3MsxUiC

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Chris Turner, a Rovers player:

For a week, the entire squad has been buzzing with excitement waiting to face Juventus. Without a doubt this is the biggest night of my career and I will have loads of my family in Dublin to see the match. A lot of people have come out of the woodwork looking for tickets and I know the rest of the lads have been the same. Of course we have had a chat about who might get Alessandro Del Piero or David Trezeguet’s shirt but I’ll worry about that after the match — we just want to do ourselves justice against some of the best players in the world. It would be foolish for us to go out and try to pass the ball around them, they’d end up running rings around us and being able to pick us off at will. I’m sure the plan will be to keep things tight and try to frustrate them for as long as possible. We’ll have a great crowd behind us and the plan has to be to leave ourselves in a position where we go to Turin with the tie still interesting.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Stewart to meet hero Del Piero

GROWING up in Portadown, Tommy Stewart used to ignore the knocks on the doors each Sunday afternoon to instead sit in front of the television waiting for the familiar cry of ‘Gol Accio!’, and the start of Football Italia.

Juventus were his team. The youngster was caught up in the deeds of Alessandro Del Piero and the Old Lady of Turin in what was the best league in the world.

The striker was his favourite player, and last week in Israel he ensured he would meet him before the 35-year-old could retire, by scoring the winning goal against Bnei Yehuda.

"Hopefully, I’ll get his shirt," he said. "I don’t want to think about it too much because we have to play the game but it would be nice to get a momento.

"It’s just incredible knowing we’re playing Juventus. All the boys are itching to play. It’s the one you wanted when the draw was being made. It’s a team I grew up supporting as a child.

"I used to watch Football Italia and I think just everybody knows about them. To have the opportunity to play them on your home turf is something that may never happen again. It was my first kit I ever had. It’s a weird feeling. Last week to score the goal, I know it’s not about me but it’s a good wee buzz for myself."

And Stewart is hopeful that after smashing and grabbing a result against the Israelis, the Hoops can repeat the trick.

"Hopefully we can frustrate them," he said. "It’s a tall order, you never know. We know how difficult it is. Bnei kept the ball very well and Juventus will do the same. You never know."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfcwgbeygbcw/rss2/#ixzz0v3MsxUiC
thats awesome for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)