Euro2004™ Stadiums (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
EURO2004™ STADIUMS

The summer is still a long way but now that the construction of the stadiums in Portugal is finished, I figured: “Why not take a look?”.

So join in me a tour through Portugal: I guarantee it’s a feast for the eyes.

ESTÁDIO AVEIRO MUNICIPAL

CITY: Aveiro
SEATING CAPACITY: 30,000 seats
ARCHITECT: Tomás Taveira
INAUGURATION: 15 of November 2003
MATCHES: Two group matches: Czechia–Latvia & Netherlands-Czechia

City Park
Located on the city’s outskirts, in the so-called, City Park, the project involves a new construction, with a roof covering all seats.
The new Sports Park includes a multi purposes pavilion, a golf course, a leisure park, pools and six new hotels.

Ambitious design
An ambitious arena which matches breathtaking design with functional facilities, the stadium can accommodate over 30,000 spectators. It has four stands and service areas which have been designed to function as independent units.

Beira-Mar venue
With a capacity of just 14,000, local side SC Beira Mar's Mário Duarte was not considered large enough to host UEFA EURO 2004™ games, and thus Aveiro's Municipal stadium was born.

ESTÁDIO BRAGA MUNICIPAL

CITY: Braga
ARCHITECT: Souto Moura
INAUGURATION: 30 of December 2003
MATCHES: Two group matches: Bulgaria-Denmark & Netherlands-Latvia

Spectacular centrepiece
A particularly elegant architectural project, located on the Monte Castro hillside (near Braga’s urban area, one of the highest spots of the city, facing the Cávado river valley), in the sports area foreseen in the Municipal Master Plan. The project involves a new construction, with roof covering all seats, and seating sections on either side of the pitch. Each end of the stadium will be constituted by the hillside rupestral amphitheatre.

"Work of art"
Described as a "work of art" by UEFA Stadium and Security Committee president Ernie Walker, the new stadium in Braga - official name Estádio Municipal de Braga - is an extraordinary engineering feat in one of the most spectacular stadium settings in the world.

ESTÁDIO CIDADE DE COIMBRA

CITY: Coimbra
ARCHITECT: António Monteiro
INAUGURATION: 27 September 2003
MATCHES: Two group matches: England-Switzerland & Switzerland-France

Remodelling
The project takes advantage of the current 15,000 seating capacity, and foresees remodelling of the ring around existing seating sections, and a second ring, on an upper level in a “U-form”, that will be open to the North, looking over the hillside section of the city.

Modern lines
The project has no historical or traditional references, it creates a new, contemporary image with glass façades, an aesthetic roof supported by elegant tribunes.

New development
Around the ground will be built a multi-purpose sports hall, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a health club, a multiplex cinema, an underground car park, plus commercial and office developments. The running track will stay in place.

ESTÁDIO ALGARVE

CITY: Loulé & Faro
ARCHITECT: Damon Lavelle
INAUGURATION: 23 of November 2003
MATCHES: Two group matches: Spain-Russia & Russia-Greece
One quarter-final: Winner group C – Runner-up group D

Reference stadium
Architectural project of emblematic reference, located in the frontier zone (S. João da Venda) between the municipalities of Faro and Loulé, integrated within the so-called “Cities Park”.
The Algarve stadium - official name Estádio Algarve - represents the common effort of the cities of Faro and Loulé for the construction of a sports facility in Portugal's most popular tourism region.

Long-term use
The stadium will be capable of seating 30,000 spectators and has been designed to have a flexible long-term use following the championships, as areas near the front of the stands at the north and south ends will be used as part of an athletics track to be built adjacent to the pitch.

ESTÁDIO D. ALFONSO HENRIQUES

CITY: Guimarães
ARCHITECT: Eduardo Guimarães
MATCHES: Two group matches: Denmark-Italy & Italy-Bulgaria

Home of Vitória Sport Club
Located in the urban zone of the city where Portugal was born, and taking advantage of existing seating capacity, the construction increased stadium capacity to 30,000 seats, through four independent seating sections. This is the new home of Vitória Sport Club, originally created by the local youth in the 20s – young privileged students, sons of the industrial and proprietary society that ran the region.

Independents stands
The stadium comprises four individual stands, all covered. All the stands are constructed in reinforced concrete, with different capacities and all provided with seated places. Each of the three major stands is divided into upper and lower sectors.

ESTÁDIO DR. MAGALHÃES PESSOA

CITY: Leiria
INAUGURATION: 19 of November 2003
MATCHES: Two group matches: Switzerland-Croatia & Croatia-France

Three new stands
Based in Leiria, which supplied wood for the ‘Discovery Ships’, located in the urban zone and integrated within the existing sports complex, the project foresees an increase in seating capacity from 11,000 to 30,000, through construction of three new seating sections and a roof covering all seats.

Technical information
The stadium recently underwent significant improvement works, and an entirely new stand with a structure of reinforced concrete was built on the eastern top. The support facilities distributed between the ground and first floors, will be situated under the stand, whose cover will be soon built. The further improvement of the stadium will involve the construction of three completely new stands and roof covering for all seats, with facilities and equipment in accordance with UEFA criteria.

ESTÁDIO JOSÉ ALVALADE

CITY: Lisboa (Lisbon)
SEATING CAPACITY: 52,000 seats
INAUGURATION: 6 of August 2003
MATCHES: Three group matches: Sweden-Bulgaria & Spain-Portugal & Germany-Czechia
One quarter-final: Winner group B – Runner-up group A
One semi-final: Winner match 25 – Winner match 27

First class stadium
Finally, the wish of the Viscount of Alvalade has come true: “this club will be as big as the biggest in Europe…” and, for a great team, a great stadium. Located in an urban zone adjacent to the current stadium, the new project is integrated within a larger complex with sports and residential components, the latter including housing, shops and services.

Great views
The new stadium seats some 52,000 spectators. Its modern design includes full covering for all seats. The stadium is part of a larger complex, which includes restaurants and bars, a cinema multiplex and bowling alley, as well as a medical centre and a health club.

ESTÁDIO LUZ

CITY: Lisboa (Lisbon)
SEATING CAPACITY: 65,000 seats
ARCHITECT: Damon Lavelle
INAUGURATION: 25 of October 2003
MATCHES: Three group matches: France-England & Russia-Portugal & Croatia-England
One quarter-final: Winner group A – Runner-up group B
The final: Winner match 29 – Winner match 30

Portugal biggest sadium
The Club that was born in a pharmacy in Belém, now owns one of the biggest stadiums of Portugal; the construction of a new stadium, that also encompasses leisure, entertainment and cultural areas, in the land adjacent to the existing Luz Stadium, with a 65,000 fully-covered seating capacity, and high quality facilities, able to respond to the demands of European professional football. This solution will enable major urban renewal in terms of transport access for the surrounding area.

Let there be light
Indeed, the stadium has been specifically designed to include elements which will mean the building will literally be flooded with sunlight, weather permitting. The stadium, directly adjacent to the old stadium, will include seating for 65,000 supporters.

Final venue
In 2004, the centenary of SL Benfica and 50 years after the original Luz stadium was inaugurated, the stadium will host the final of UEFA EURO 2004™.

ESTÁDIO DRAGÃO

CITY: Porto
SEATING CAPACITY: 52,000 seats
ARCHITECT: Manuel Salgado
INAUGURATION: 16 of November 2003
MATCHES: Three group matches: Portugal-Greece & Germany-Netherlands & Italy-Sweden
One quarter-final: Winner group D – Runner-up group C
One semi-final: Winner match 26 – Winner match 28

Opening ceremony
Located in the urban zone adjacent to the existing stadium, the project forms part of the planned Sports City complex. This will be the privileged stage for the UEFA EURO 2004 ™ opening ceremony and match. The old Antas stadium - official name Estádio das Antas - was already one of the most modern stadiums in Portugal, but a new stadium has arisen in its place for UEFA EURO 2004™.

Sport City
The new stadium, which will seat in excess of 50,000 people, will be part of a “Sport City” in the area, which will see over 3,000 square metres of the surrounding area modernised. The area between the Av. Fernão de Magalhães, the VCI and São Roque da Lameira is being completely transformed, with a commercial centre, residential areas and a multi-purpose pavilion all planned.

Impressive design
The stadium itself has an impressive design, with the translucent roof, already dubbed the veil, incorporating 280 tonnes of metal supported by a forest of pillars.

ESTÁDIO BESSA

CITY: Porto
ARCHITECT: Grupo 3, Arquitectos Associados
INAUGURATION: 30 of December 2003
MATCHES: Three group matches: Greece-Spain & Latvia-Germany & Denmark-Sweden

Four new stands
Located in a prestigious urban zone within the City of Porto, the stadium is integrated within a sports complex under development, characterised by the construction of four new seating sections, with a roof covering all seats, in a project reminiscent of mythical English football stadiums.

Halfway house
The ground is located halfway along the focal Avenida da Boavista, which runs from the Castelo do Queijo on the coast, to Rotunda da Boavista near to the city centre.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #4
    :howler: Yes it is :devil:;)

52.000 seats ... do you think that'll be enough? :D

++ [ originally posted by kurvengeflüster ] ++
    I'd like to have so much time ... ;)
    Actually, I just copied and pasted the information of every stadium from uefa.com :angel:

Just figured it would be nice to have some stadium info on the forums.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    My brother-in-law went to Portugal a few months ago, and said that the Estadio Dragao is the nicest of the bunch.

Sure wish that Italy would get the European championships, maybe then they could rebuild or replace some of these old relics that they have.

My favorite Stadium in Italy is Udinese's Stadio Friuli, Followed by Sampdoria's Stadio Luigi Ferrari

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Why Friuli? Don't get me wrong, it's lovely :) Small, but very lively and the closest to where I live so visited a lot by me, still you can find better ones I think.

I love the colorful seats they have in some of the stadiums, looks really great! :cool:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    Why Friuli? Don't get me wrong, it's lovely :) Small, but very lively and the closest to where I live so visited a lot by me, still you can find better ones I think.

I love the colorful seats they have in some of the stadiums, looks really great! :cool:
    Reminds me of the stadiums in Germany. Sleek, Aerodynamic, decent size (40000). It also looks the most modern, even though it was before the Delle Alpi.

To me, the Delle Alpi looks like a gutted-out alien spaceship.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)