Euro 2008 LIVE (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
It's true the defending was kind of bad from teams that are expected to have traditionally good defending. But I believe that was probably caused by the inconsistency of referees early on which led to the lack of aggressiveness.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
People will always find moronic reasons to blast a tournament. The defending wasn't great but football won because the play was very positive. I wouldn't necessarily say the defending was "poor," but instead there were teams on display who were adept attacking and those teams progressed, thankfully. But Juve Red stating that he thought this tournament was quite poor and Lion agreeing with him is frankly mind-boggling.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
People will always find moronic reasons to blast a tournament. The defending wasn't great but football won because the play was very positive. I wouldn't necessarily say the defending was "poor," but instead there were teams on display who were adept attacking and those teams progressed, thankfully. But Juve Red stating that he thought this tournament was quite poor and Lion agreeing with him is frankly mind-boggling.
Well it's kind of like in the NCAAs when a lot of the powerhouses don't go far, people say the quality of the tournament was low, but in reality it was the perennial favorites who were of low quality. The same can be said in this tournament as Italy, France, Portugal, and Sweden all bowed out to "lesser" competition and that makes the tournament poor quality. But in reality Italy, France, Portugal, and Sweden were the "lesser" competition.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
It's not moronic to criticize the defending, when it right to do so. It's moronic to criticize the criticism of someone awesome like me and people like Martin, and Juve red, who are quite right when they state that the defending was poor.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well it's kind of like in the NCAAs when a lot of the powerhouses don't go far, people say the quality of the tournament was low, but in reality it was the perennial favorites who were of low quality. The same can be said in this tournament as Italy, France, Portugal, and Sweden all bowed out to "lesser" competition and that makes the tournament poor quality. But in reality Italy, France, Portugal, and Sweden were the "lesser" competition.
Exactly. And that's a ridiculous reason to say a tournament sucked, if that's what they're doing here.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Oh come on, that tournament was great and the Spanish defense was great.

No idea why people always complain even if they see good football out there.
Spain are a good team, nothing more nothing less. There defending was solid, though they were rarely tested.

Who did Spain beat?

Russia that can't defend, Sweden who are a nothing side, Greece who are terrible, Donadoni's Italy and a very average German side.

I'm not criticising Spain, I'm criticising the lack of decent opposition for them.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Indeed. It's a frickin travesty that this Germany team made it to the final. They stink.
IMO, the brackets were very favorable to them. They only impressed against Poland and a Portuguese side who was a physical mismatch and whom Germany always seems to have an answer to, Rochambeau-style.

Ballack overrated? Are you serious?
I don't know about overrated. But the guy does get way too much Nike commercial time for what he contributes on the pitch in big matches, IMO.

I do not see Ballack as ever being the player who elevates a team to a title or cup victory. Good and influential, but never good enough for first prize.

What?

You are allowed to make statements like that when you are over the age of 12.
:rofl2:

forget about the defenses for a second. What's up with the goalkeeping? :shocked:

Cech, Casillas, Rustu, Lehman, and others made some eye brow raising mistakes. Even Buffon almost conceded a stupid goal
Some of the backpassing in this tournament was horrendous, though, too. Zambrotta for one, as he did in eliminating Barça from the CL this year. But even Sergio Ramos -- once when he choked in the group stage, and almost again last night.

I always thought Lehmann was overrated though.
Never overrated, but always dicey and occasionally rusty.

I said good day, sir!

Ex-Lion, I'm telling ya, if Villa was healthy, Spain would have won 3-0 yesterday.

So then who did Germany beat? The "great" Portugal squad.....
Which it would take a pretty sad sack of Germany, such as the Euro 2000 squad, to flub against Portugal in any given year.

Apr 12, 2004
Well maybe not overrated, but when Kahn used to make mistakes at the back and look old and out-of-shape, I used to say that he was too busy eating his doughnuts in goal to pay attention. I also said the same thing about Buffon and smoking. "Ohhh, look at big Buffon, he better get out from having that smoke break and get back in net..."

Shit like that, well I found myself saying Lehmann also was in the net with Kahn and Buffon taking shots, eating doughnuts, and smoking cigs when he needed to have his gloves on and be in net.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I think Lehman played well overall in the tournament, IMO. Surprisingly so. Even if I fault him for the lone game-winner yesterday.

He looked awkward most of the time -- like he had too many doughnuts. But he was effective.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah. That was bad. :lol:

I mean, if you're gonna come out of goal, get a piece of the ball -- not a piece of a doughnut!

And then not trusting the two defenders on Torres -- and even forcing Lahm to drop back at the last minute for fear of colliding with Lehman? Bad bad bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)