England (2 Viewers)

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
The winter is coming up, the WC is closing in and the English are just about to overhype their players and claiming the gold medals in advance. Englands chances always comes up when discussing the world and euro cup. What do you think? What's their chances and are their team really THAT good?

Ive never really believed in them. It might be a cliché, but they are their own worst enemy. Though this time the press picked the right scapegoat, better Eriksson the Lampard right? Its better to let the ugly foreigner take the pressure than the players, but what in a way theyve done so. Good luck coaching better teams than Visby BK if you fukk up here Göran. :sick:

Are England as good as they claim? Will they go all the way?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well, this really depends on who you are referring to when you say "they." You cannot just label England as a whole and state the nation has a collective feeling about their chances this summer. I'm sure some Englanders believe their team will lift the trophy, while some others probably doubt their chances as well...it depends on who you look at.

Some media outlets really help England shoot themselves in the foot when saying they are the team to beat, or they are without a doubt going to go far in this World Cup...nothing is set in stone. The only thing one can conclude thus far is England has the players and coach to succeed at the highest level, however are behind the likes of Brazil in the world at this point in time. Some fans my agree with the nonsensical media reports, however there are just as many if not more who abhor overzealous stories such as that, so you really have to be careful what you mean by "they."

That said, if everything goes well for England through the group stage they are realistic contenders, certainly. Just as much as Italy as far as I'm concerned, however history is not exactly on England's side...not that history is a major factor in individual matches though. England has the talent to succeed at the highest level and if Sven can decide on a core group of players and fit them into his chosen system, England stands a chance. However, I would still choose Brazil and Argentina over them at the moment.

I also concur that Sven takes too much of the blame, however that is another story.

ThePLaya

Nov 8, 2005
To be honest with you at this moment england has a great squad maybe the best so far like brazil in WC 82, but The only problem that Sven is not the right coach to bring back the glory of 66.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Where does this stuff come from...

I have not once heard the media or any individual say that we "will winm the Wc"...

Virtually all media these days has pretty much crowned brazil all ready

I have heard them say "we can win the world cup"

Not the same thing at all... And for that matter its true... We can win, as can 6 or 7 others

Its quite simple really.... Can we win ? of course... will we win ? IMO, no argentina will

What is wrong with saying we can win... its true... Is the media and people of any other major footballing nation any different ? No, they are all the same...

Do you read non english language press... The likes of the italian and argentinian media are far more bullish as to their chances of winning than the english media is...

arc

Mar 11, 2004
england has a superior squad with quality players like lampard, gerrard, terry and ronny, however with sven in charge, we dont stand a single chance, i say the wc champion will be brazil

OP
peckface

peckface

approaching curve
Oct 3, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    RochemBeck said:
    Well, this really depends on who you are referring to when you say "they." You cannot just label England as a whole and state the nation has a collective feeling about their chances this summer. I'm sure some Englanders believe their team will lift the trophy, while some others probably doubt their chances as well...it depends on who you look at.

Some media outlets really help England shoot themselves in the foot when saying they are the team to beat, or they are without a doubt going to go far in this World Cup...nothing is set in stone. The only thing one can conclude thus far is England has the players and coach to succeed at the highest level, however are behind the likes of Brazil in the world at this point in time. Some fans my agree with the nonsensical media reports, however there are just as many if not more who abhor overzealous stories such as that, so you really have to be careful what you mean by "they."

That said, if everything goes well for England through the group stage they are realistic contenders, certainly. Just as much as Italy as far as I'm concerned, however history is not exactly on England's side...not that history is a major factor in individual matches though. England has the talent to succeed at the highest level and if Sven can decide on a core group of players and fit them into his chosen system, England stands a chance. However, I would still choose Brazil and Argentina over them at the moment.

I also concur that Sven takes too much of the blame, however that is another story.
    So you believe they're the third best team in the world? Just on paper or as a whole?

On paper it looks good, though England's NT always look good on paper. They pretty much never exceed expactations or go out and do exactly as planned.

Yes when saying "they" im labeling them as a nation and ya im murging their opinions. But what better way is it to catagorize then using a nation? Of course some people ought to disagree. "They" are the press, "they" are the people that follow the press.

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    I never liked Sven but i dont think he can imprison those young men's ambitions.
    England had always the tendecy to be arrogant, overconfident and overrated,
    i never liked them either but now i believe its their time to do smth great,
    They are able to win the cup...

ThePLaya

Nov 8, 2005
    i remember my mom sweared once on 66 ( she was 20 years) if england wins the WC again in 40 years she will walk naked on the streets .

i think you don't wonna see a 60 years old lady walking naked on 2006. don't you ?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    pecker said:
    So you believe they're the third best team in the world? Just on paper or as a whole?
    Personally I believe Brazil and Argentina are head and shoulders above the rest, and then there are those countries such as Italy, England, Germany, and France who are all good enough to win the World Cup. So yes, in my opinion England are the third best country in the world, in a tie with a couple others. I mean who exactly is better than England? Spain? Portugal? Germany? Sweden? Don't think so, unfortunately.

On paper it looks good, though England's NT always look good on paper. They pretty much never exceed expactations or go out and do exactly as planned.
    That is exactly why I said history is not on their side, however does history really matter in a brand new tournament? No, not really. Anything can happen in football and the sport does not follow regular patterns..

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    ThePLaya said:
    i remember my mom sweared once on 66 ( she was 20 years) if england wins the WC again in 40 years she will walk naked on the streets .

i think you don't wonna see a 60 years old lady walking naked on 2006. don't you ?
    What a Gilf. :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    I have to agree with Shadowfax here; not once (and I watch quite some BBC, which we get here in Holland. Also read newspapers like the Guardian) have I heard the English media express their convictions of an English WC victory.

As for can they win it? Of course they can if things go to their favour. But so could anyone else if you look at it that way.

This cup is Brazil's.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    italian_stylez said:
    I hope the Aussies get a chance to play them, will be great, England Vs The English Convicts. But i must admit there are alot of migrants in the Aussie team.
    Gray posted something nice in his blog about that:

In a multicultural nation in a fractured world, the Socceroos can bring together the sum of their parts: Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican. German, Lebanese, Polynesian, Croatian, Italian, Melanesian, Greek. It is a rich tapestry but last night they - and we - were one thing only. Australian.

Feb 27, 2005
    mikhail said:
    Gray posted something nice in his blog about that:

In a multicultural nation in a fractured world, the Socceroos can bring together the sum of their parts: Muslim, Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican. German, Lebanese, Polynesian, Croatian, Italian, Melanesian, Greek. It is a rich tapestry but last night they - and we - were one thing only. Australian.
    Absolutely.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Erik said:
    I have to agree with Shadowfax here; not once (and I watch quite some BBC, which we get here in Holland. Also read newspapers like the Guardian) have I heard the English media express their convictions of an English WC victory.

As for can they win it? Of course they can if things go to their favour. But so could anyone else if you look at it that way.

This cup is Brazil's.
    ...to lose.

And they will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)