Egypt ranks 9th (4 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Gabon are better than us? I don't even know what Gabon is.

Gabon did very well in the qualifiers, they beat some big teams on the way too. They almost qualified for the WC. They beat Ghana in the first round of the qualifiers 3-2. IIRC they beat Cameroon too later on.

The FIFA rankings are however rubbish, but the FIFA can't do much about it, they wanted to make an objective system based on results to rank teams, but these kind of things never work in football.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Sorry, I just got linked to Wiki: a source I take as reliable as Goal.com
That's understandable. The main site for those ratings, eloratings.net, is up and down like your mom's underwear, so I'll explain here.

Imagine you have a standard team. Let's call them Norway for the sake of it. If, say, Ireland were to play Norway a hundred times, I'd die of boredom. Also, I'd expect Ireland to maybe score 52% (counting a draw as a half a win). If Spain played Norway 100 times, they might score about 85%. The Elo system reckons that that means Spain would beat Ireland a heck of a lot of the time too, and quantifies that.

Of course, no one plays any one team all that often, so the scheme basically updates the rating of each team after each match with the result: if Ireland loses to Spain, Ireland's rating goes down a little bit ans Spain's goes up a little. If the opposite result happens, bigger changes happen. If Ireland beats Norway, we go up by a moderate amount - smaller than for beating Spain, but bigger than Spain would get for the same result. So, over time, everyone's rating tends to wobble near their true strength.

The wiki link I gave has the current table for the top 60 teams in the world.

The only weakness in the whole thing is that it assumes a normal distribution to results by rating difference, which is only approximately true. It's a far better ranking than anything FIFA's ever come up with.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
so a team (egypt) that fails to make the world cup go ahead in the rankings to a team (chile) that not only makes the world cup,but progress from their group? anyone else see the failings in this?

Sep 1, 2002
That's understandable. The main site for those ratings, eloratings.net, is up and down like your mom's underwear, so I'll explain here.

Imagine you have a standard team. Let's call them Norway for the sake of it. If, say, Ireland were to play Norway a hundred times, I'd die of boredom. Also, I'd expect Ireland to maybe score 52% (counting a draw as a half a win). If Spain played Norway 100 times, they might score about 85%. The Elo system reckons that that means Spain would beat Ireland a heck of a lot of the time too, and quantifies that.

Of course, no one plays any one team all that often, so the scheme basically updates the rating of each team after each match with the result: if Ireland loses to Spain, Ireland's rating goes down a little bit ans Spain's goes up a little. If the opposite result happens, bigger changes happen. If Ireland beats Norway, we go up by a moderate amount - smaller than for beating Spain, but bigger than Spain would get for the same result. So, over time, everyone's rating tends to wobble near their true strength.

The wiki link I gave has the current table for the top 60 teams in the world.

The only weakness in the whole thing is that it assumes a normal distribution to results by rating difference, which is only approximately true. It's a far better ranking than anything FIFA's ever come up with.

So being human we demand a hierarchy to cling and cry over, as well as cringe and decry.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
so a team (egypt) that fails to make the world cup go ahead in the rankings to a team (chile) that not only makes the world cup,but progress from their group? anyone else see the failings in this?
Yeah. You've assumed that Egypt's failure to qualify completely encapsulates the quality of the team. If your reasoning tracked, the world rankings would basically be how far each team progressed in the last WC.

If Chile's performance wasn't so much lucky as a good team gelling, they'll rise in the rankings.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
no i understand that but surely a team qualifying from a world cup group should really not be sliding down the rankings

i mean england rose in the rankings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)